Lemmings Boards > Help & Guides

Music fix for ONML (DOS)?

<< < (2/2)

Strato Incendus:
Noob question: What is direct drop? :D

Simon:
In Lemmings 1, floaters exit, and splatters exit too. Fallers cannot exit, but at least one of these is true in Lemmings 1:
    a) Fallers splat and then exit on the same frame. (likely)
    b) Fallers exit when they feel ground before they splat. (unlikely)
Unsure which of the two behaviors it is. This difference matters only for design/coding. Observing the exiting cannot distinguish between a) and b). Direct drop in Lemmings 1 means to take advantage of exiting splatters (or fallers with ground, depending on what the physics really do).

In early NeoLemmix, everybody could exit unless they're dying (?, but irrelevant anyway because fallers can exit). Direct drop meant letting fallers and floaters exit. Fallers meet the trigger area in an earlier physics update than when they would splat on the land.

In 2015, there was popcorn (long heated enjoyable technical discussion) whether this should become optional physics in NL, and then whether it should be cut entirely. Reason to cut: level designers and level players forgot about direct drop all the time, it produced backroutes and looked unintuitive on most exits. Reason to keep: Sky set has exit that looks like floating in mid-air.

-- Simon

Proxima:
Direct drop (splatters can exit due to a programming oversight) exists in DOS and Genesis L1, but is absent in Amiga and Mac. I don't know off the top of my head about other versions, but this info is collected in some of the glitch lists in Tech & Research.

Notably, Genesis includes the level "Rules to fall" where the only skills are a digger and 20 floaters, showing that the designers didn't know about direct drop. Its repeat, "Acrophobia", is an interesting puzzle that is completely trivialised by direct drop.

I don't know about non-DOS versions regarding floaters entering a mid-air exit.

Strato Incendus:
Thanks for the info, guys! ;) Yes, I remember this being mentioned in context of the Sky tileset a couple of times.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version