Author Topic: [Sug] Bring back the option of pasting tiles on top of each other  (Read 2437 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
[Sug] Bring back the option of pasting tiles on top of each other
« on: September 25, 2018, 11:04:42 PM »
So, I'm fiddling around with the new editor a little bit, and the fact that new tiles are always placed where my mouse happens to reside currently is making me absolutely furious! :evil: I get that it is a useful feature to have for copying pieces across great distances. So I'm glad this feature exists; it simply shouldn't be the only option available.

Creating gridlocked parts was much easier in the old editor. Now I have to manually reallign everything that's supposed to be at the same height. And if I use the grid in the options, it stays on throughout, removing the option to move pieces single pixels.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 07:05:47 AM by namida »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Bring back the option of pasting tiles on top of each other
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 11:09:46 PM »
Press C on its own to copy a piece at the same location.

When the grid is on, ctrl-arrow moves pieces 1 pixel. Alternatively. F9 turns the grid on or off. (These got added after I complained a lot about not having them.)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Bring back the option of pasting tiles on top of each other
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 11:15:11 PM »
Ah, thanks a lot, Proxima! Sorry, I didn't see it in the Hotkeys tabs first, but there it is, on the final page! :D

Well, I guess that's all I needed to know, so I can close this one again right away! :)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
I've reopened this (rather than creating a new topic) because there is a case where this feature would be useful and pressing C doesn't cut it: If you want to copy/paste in the same place between two different levels. This could be useful in the case of repeats, or Part I / Part II levels, when a terrain change is needed to one version to fix a backroute, and you want the other versions to have an identical layout.

You can of course do this by hand (by editing the text files), or by taking note of the position then moving the pasted pieces to that position, but those do feel like extra steps that shouldn't be needed. And in the former case, some users do not feel comfortable editing the files by hand.

And while writing this, I thought of another edge case: If you want to cut pieces to work on stuff behind them or whatever, then paste them back when you're done. (Though counterargument: Relying on the clipboard for this is very risky, and should maybe be discouraged.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [Sug] Bring back the option of pasting tiles on top of each other
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 11:09:41 PM »
Came across this while going through the old topics; just wanted to point out that newer editor versions have this feature now. Ctrl+Shift+V, or "Paste in Place" under the Edit menu.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)