Author Topic: Sonic Race  (Read 9971 times)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sonic Race
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 05:00:12 AM »
I'm not free the coming weekend.

Regarding glitches, I'm fine with whatever rules; even anything goes is fine with me (I barely know any glitches anyway).

If you want glitchless, I think most cases are pretty clear-cut, but there's always little corner cases. Same in Lemmings. What is common sense? I remember long time ago it wasn't clear whether turning a digger with a blocker is a glitch or trick. What is "against the spirit" of the game? Are backroutes in Lemmings against the spirit?
That said, I don't really care, I'm not that good anyway. If everyone goes by their own common sense then things probably mostly align and anyone who's not super competitive will be fine (anyone who is considering using anything in particular unsure about could just ask what people think). There's also useless minor glitches one might trigger by accident (e.g. sprite glitches like jumping up next to a button somewhere in Labyrinth zone makes you jump in the walking sprite), I'm sure you don't want to disqualify people for that. So yeah, I'm not too serious about having clear rules here as I don't really care about the results that much.

Either way, if we start with Sonic 1 Simon posted the rules for the glitchless category.
So these could just serve as our rules, if we need that. Maybe you also want to take out going over the top of the level in Spring Yard?

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 02:09:05 PM »
I've never played the game before; I don't want to be disqualified for accidentally using glitches. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I also don't get why it should be so complicated. Sundays are good for me, but not this one. You don't need to keep me in mind for picking a date, by the way, as this isn't a very important event for me, and I might miss it unexpectedly. If there's a date, I'll see if I can join as we get to it. :)

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2018, 08:10:30 PM »
New date suggestion: Sunday, October 7th between 17:00 UTC - 20:00 UTC

Would that be okay?

I also agree with Flopsy I know that it is important to have rules so that everyone is on the same page but if this is ultimately a race for fun and we should keep it simple and just play the game the way a causal player might. If you accidentally run into a glitch, that's fine. If you do something that ultimately seems like a corner case, that's fine.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 08:16:35 PM by Nessy »

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 05:24:57 AM »
I'll very likely be out that weekend, but if it works for everyone else I'm fine to skip.

This coming weekend I'm free on Saturday roughly 16-19 UTC.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 07:48:08 AM »
Due to being away from the forums indefinitely, I'm pulling out of this race.

Hopefully you guys can do this without me :)

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2018, 11:34:39 AM »
Due to being away from the forums indefinitely, I'm pulling out of this race.

Hopefully you guys can do this without me :)
I'm not sure we can, but I noticed something else: you've got 607 posts! :lem-mindblown: