Author Topic: [Suggestion][EXP-Editor] Adding a scroll bar to the tile/object list  (Read 4227 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I know the new formats editor will be rewritten in another language, but this is currently bothering me alongside: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=3437.0

The Arrows in the tile/object selection bar are too slow compared to a normal slider, which is also more easily controlable and visualizes where you're at in the tile list too.

Example: To get through the L2_medieval tile list I need 12 secs holding down the arrow and 4-5 secs with right click. A slider can just be dragged down in 1 sec and you're there!

I know the list goes both ways now, but I find this more confusing than helpful, as before I had a clear view on where I'm at in the tile list.

Orientation on the current list's position is a much bigger helper than both way scrolling for finding tiles in my opinion.

So I really would like to have a scroll bar again on the bottom tile/object list. :)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: [Suggestion][EXP-Editor] Adding a scroll bar to the tile/object list
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 08:22:15 PM »
I know the new formats editor will be rewritten in another language, ...
This is a huge exaggeration for the change for the UI code, I am planning.

The Arrows in the tile/object selection bar are too slow compared to a normal slider, which is also more easily controlable and visualizes where you're at in the tile list too.

Orientation on the current list's position is a much bigger helper than both way scrolling for finding tiles in my opinion.
All this is only true if you know by heart exactly where the piece is that you want. Given the huge number of styles, I doubt that many people will get such a detailed knowledge. Therefore I doubt that your suggestion is useful for a lot of people.

So I really would like to have a scroll bar again on the bottom tile/object list. :)
I still have the code for the old-editor-type piece selection menu flying around, so I could possibly add this again. But I will only do this if there is a lot more demand for it.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 09:59:31 PM »
I do like the new piece selector better than the old one, but I also think it could use a scroll bar.

There ARE a lot of tilesets, but some users may end up using the same ones over and over again, so I don't think the sheer number of tilesets is a particularly strong reason against it.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 02:12:46 AM »
I do like the new piece selector better than the old one, but I also think it could use a scroll bar.

Yeah, it's a lot of clicking otherwise, I've noticed that as well :) . Besides, the old editor tileset selection has a scrollbar, too. And the last thing the new formats editor needs is further downgrades from version 10.13 :P !

With the scrollbar however, the new editor would allow to create levels much more quickly than the old one, because the selection is always right there, without having to right-click all the time, and could still be navigated just as quickly via scrolling. That would be something it would have going for it, then! :)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 10:58:20 AM »
With the scrollbar however, the new editor would allow to create levels much more quickly than the old one, because the selection is always right there, without having to right-click all the time, and could still be navigated just as quickly via scrolling. That would be something it would have going for it, then! :)
The bottom piece selector would not get the scroll bar, as it cycles through the list without any proper start and end. So we would need an infinite scroll bar there, which is slightly problematic. ;)
The best I can offer is basically a copy of the piece selection menu from the old editor in a separate window. This would be a proper list of pieces, which then allows for a scroll bar.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 11:18:26 AM »
If you make a separate dialog, consider a 2-dimensional grid of tiles, fitting as much as possible on the available screen space.

-- Simon

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 11:51:04 AM »
So we would need an infinite scroll bar there, which is slightly problematic. ;)

Ah, yeah, right... hadn't thought of that :D .

The best I can offer is basically a copy of the piece selection menu from the old editor in a separate window. This would be a proper list of pieces, which then allows for a scroll bar.

Sounds like a good idea to me, especially since the old editor allows for right clicking at a certain spot in the level (to make the scroll list pop up), with the tile being added right there.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 01:15:27 PM »
The bottom piece selector would not get the scroll bar, as it cycles through the list without any proper start and end. So we would need an infinite scroll bar there, which is slightly problematic. ;)

Yes , the no start or end part is a bit annoying for me. I really like the orientation of the list as I quite often know where the pieces are roughly located (even more in my own tilesets ;)) and as I described in the first post a scroll bar is a lot faster than the arrows.

I would like such a menu.
Maybe I got another idea, but I don't know if it's possible to implement it this way:  The infinite list at the bottom can display the cut between tile 1 and the last tile and a scrollbar could be added which scrolls from one line to the next line. Anyway a cut line for tile 1 and the last tile could be beneficial regardless. :)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 02:04:50 AM »
I personally think a scroll bar would be more useful than the infinite loop-around behavior. It's fine having a start and end; the important thing is that I can quickly find the specific piece I'm looking for, and the loop around scrolling doesn't really help all that much with it besides the fact that it will cycle back around to it if I pass it.