Author Topic: [Fixed][BUG][EDITOR] Titles are cut off at 32 characters  (Read 2327 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
[Fixed][BUG][EDITOR] Titles are cut off at 32 characters
« on: August 24, 2018, 03:51:48 AM »
There's no reason to set the limit at 32 characters anymore. Older versions had no room to display more than that (and even that, the last character would get cut off if the level number was two digits). And even ignoring that, the old file format didn't support more than 32 characters in a title.

New-formats, however, has no reason to continue this restriction. A title of up to 40 characters can fit on the screen (potentially longer by making it multi-line, but let's not go there for now - multi line would require adding code to handle multi-line; but NL already has no problem with >32 chars titles and for the editor it should be as simple as changing a single max-length field), and the file format has no limitation at all. Thus, the editor should either allow up to 40 characters (or arguably, 39, to leave a little bit of space on the sides) based on the player; or no limit at all based on the file format.

On a side note, this appears to only affect attempts by the user to enter a new title / modify an existing one. The editor will not truncate a title that's already >32 chars when loading/saving a level, so modifying the level files by hand is a feasible workaround.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 04:20:18 PM by Nepster »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
Re: [BUG][EDITOR] Titles are cut off at 32 characters
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 03:53:54 AM »
Shouldn't this be a suggestion too?
Why not have up to two lines of text for level titles?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 03:57:14 AM »
Not a huge fan of that idea myself, but regardless, it should be a seperate suggestion. NL already has the capability to handle titles up to 40 characters with no ill effect whatsoever (and beyond that without crashing; it'll just cut off part of the name visually on the preview screen, it should have no problems at all in the level select menu); the only change that would be needed (I presume) is changing a property of the Title edit box in the editor, to change the maximum accepted length from 32 to 40. It's the kind of change that can be made in 2 seconds.

On the other hand, adding support for multi-line titles means either the editor needs to have some way to tell it "this is where to split the line", or if the split is automatic, NL needs code to split the line - though it very well may already have code that can be used for this, as I believe the auto-generated talisman requirement text makes use of such functionality. Then, the rest of the preview screen needs slight adjustment to the padding, in order to account for the extra line. It's by no means impossible, but it is a much bigger task than allowing (still-single-line) titles of up to 40 characters, which can already be done without issue by modifying the level files by hand in a text editor.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 04:20:01 PM »
I changed the editor text boxes: 40 characters for the title (instead of 32) and 32 characters for the author (instead of 16).

Because it is called "level title", not "level story". ;P

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
Re: [Fixed][BUG][EDITOR] Titles are cut off at 32 characters
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 07:48:20 PM »
I changed the editor text boxes: 40 characters for the title (instead of 32) and 32 characters for the author (instead of 16).

You missed the point...
I say two lines because there are some title that are too big for 40 characters THAT'S WHY
I had a brilliant title for a level, and it was too big for 32 and I doubt it can fit in 40

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 07:59:12 PM »
You missed the point...
I say two lines because there are some title that are too big for 40 characters THAT'S WHY
I had a brilliant title for a level, and it was too big for 32 and I doubt it can fit in 40
You missed my point: Level titles are short identifiers for levels that are used when humans like us talk about levels. For that purpose anything more than three words is pretty useless and gets abbreviated like WAFD. So level titles should be short, crispy and to the point. Anything not fitting into a single line might sound very nice and is probably really creative, but just isn't a good fit for a title.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 08:00:30 PM »
^ This is a good point. If you need to give a backstory to a level for whatever reason (I'm sure there could be very valid reasons for this if making a thematic pack), the preview and postview texts might be what you want to look at a bit more. ;)
My Lemmings projects