Author Topic: Editor music  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Editor music
« on: July 29, 2018, 04:49:31 PM »
The current situation, as I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong): the file "music/menulix" gets played for both menu and editor music, and although you can get different music by saving a different track with this filename, there's no way to have different music in the menu and editor. This is really annoying, because designing a level can take a long time and needs more variety of music; also the default track isn't well-suited to it :lix-tongue:

Suggestions:

- In Options, have separate on/off buttons for game (including menu) music and editor music
- Have a subfolder "music/editor" and have editor music randomly select from all tracks in this subfolder

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
Re: Editor music
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 04:51:49 PM »
Another option would be to have a global hotkey for turning music on and off.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 08:28:23 PM »
Editors having music is a bit unusual in the first place. My suggestion would be disable music in the editor; users can easily play music in the background using their usual music app.

Alternatively, have a jukebox in the player that plays music in Lix's music folder. I suspect the level selection file browser can mostly be re-used for this, with just a few changes needed; media control buttons - only really needs Play, Pause, Stop, and maybe a selection between continuous, shuffle and repeat 1 - instead of "Play", preview, etc. (Why repeat 1? This might just be me, but I often like to, while making a level, have the music it'll have playing in the background. If no Lix users share this sentiment, disregard.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 07:15:27 AM »
Yeah, editor music is unusual. It's a corollary of the editor's inclusion in the main program that already plays music.

I'm fine disabling music in the editor (without option, only make option once somebody complains) or with the program-wide hotkey for music (that affects the checkmark in the options and thereby is remembered across sessions).

All ingame music is random, levels can't suggest music. If levels could suggest music, then I would consider to play a level's suggested music in the editor.

-- Simon