Author Topic: Lemmings Plus VI - Development Topic [100% - Preparing Release]  (Read 18829 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus VI - Development Topic
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 11:00:15 PM »
Some things I'd be interested to hear from anyone who plays the demo:

1. Regarding the Garden graphic set, do you still feel after actually playing that the background is distracting / interferes with visibility? I'm considering making it a bit darker, though I still want it to look nice.
2. How do you feel about the Bridge set, mechanics-wise?
3. What's your thoughts on the overall difficulty? In particular, does Swampflower seem to be too hard? (Keeping in mind that I'm wanting to tone down the difficulty a bit compared to LPV and LPO2 - somewhere around LPIII or LPIV's difficulty is ideal. However, also keep in mind that Swampflower will likely be very close to the end of the pack, though not the final level.)
4. Replays are always welcome. I'm especially interested in solutions to the 4th level (A Lemming Is Born), as so far it's turned out to have many different, yet hard enough to be acceptable, solutions. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 11:25:58 AM »
No new levels to report lately - haven't been in a level-making mood the last few days.

I did, however, come up with rank names... but I won't reveal them yet. I did also start on the 3rd graphic set, but again, no details yet...

Also, there's now a level on the "might get cut for being too difficult" list. According to a tester I sent it to, it's "a little bit harder than Swampflower", which was already somewhat pushing (but not quite exceeding) the limits I had in mind. Don't worry, even if it gets cut from LPVI, you'll see this level sooner or later - either as part of an eventual LPO3, or if that's not likely to ever happen, I'll probably just make a bonus pack of some kind with cut levels (and if need be to make it a decent size, some all-new really hard levels). If the level does stay in, expect it to be the 2nd or 3rd to last level (as that's generally where I try to put the hardest level, although in practice it doesn't always work out that way - not doing so was a concious decision in LPIII, but in any other pack where that didn't happen, it was intended to but just didn't work out that way, either due to me misjudging the difficutly of some levels (eg. LPIV, where I overestimated "Overclocked Lemming" and underestimated "Artifically Sweetened"), or due to mechanics changes affecting the difficulty (eg. LPI, where "Death Row" is by far the hardest level now, but that wasn't the case at the time of release)).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 11:36:56 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 11:21:32 PM »
Some things I'd be interested to hear from anyone who plays the demo:

1. Regarding the Garden graphic set, do you still feel after actually playing that the background is distracting / interferes with visibility? I'm considering making it a bit darker, though I still want it to look nice.
2. How do you feel about the Bridge set, mechanics-wise?
3. What's your thoughts on the overall difficulty? In particular, does Swampflower seem to be too hard? (Keeping in mind that I'm wanting to tone down the difficulty a bit compared to LPV and LPO2 - somewhere around LPIII or LPIV's difficulty is ideal. However, also keep in mind that Swampflower will likely be very close to the end of the pack, though not the final level.)
4. Replays are always welcome. I'm especially interested in solutions to the 4th level (A Lemming Is Born), as so far it's turned out to have many different, yet hard enough to be acceptable, solutions. :)

I'll awnser 1 and 2 since I haven't beat the other three levels
1.The BG is just very ill fitted for me, if its based on a garden, try what I suggested. A picket fence with a giant hedge behind it.
2.Bridge set is really good looking honestly, if I had to suggest more pieces for it. try something based on the golden gate bride. Why not make a locked exit based on a toll booth too?

Your soundtrack selection is very easy on the ears. I like it a lot!

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2018, 01:27:20 AM »
Haven't tried the levels yet, but I did peek at the music.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2018, 12:09:54 PM »
I think the Basement tile set has finally progressed enough that I can show it off.

"Builderdash!"
5 lemmings, save 2
Spawn rate 35
1 climber, 1 floater, 3 builders

This is a pretty easy level. And I'm probably going to replace that ugly rotated plank near the top exit with something nicer-looking, once I make a suitable piece.

Release version (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 03:35:24 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2018, 12:30:24 PM »
There are 2 things currently feeling not quite right to me about this tileset by looking at the picture:

- The background makes it somewhat hard to see a bunch of stuff and the stones look a bit weird let's say - more like a sewer than a basement. I feel this can still be optimised by quite a bit.

near the top exit

- Is the exit these 2 blue things (flags?) on the wall? ??? I must admit I can't really tell :P

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2018, 12:35:54 PM »
The background is meant to look like a wall made of wood; but at the same time, dark enough to not interfere with the actual level elements. I do need to improve that still.

The exit is supposed to look like a hole in the wall, with the blue flames to make it stand out (as the red flames are deadly).
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2018, 08:16:27 PM »
The background is meant to look like a wall made of wood; but at the same time, dark enough to not interfere with the actual level elements. I do need to improve that still.

The exit is supposed to look like a hole in the wall, with the blue flames to make it stand out (as the red flames are deadly).

Maybe try household doors?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2018, 10:49:42 PM »

Maybe try household doors?

That's not a bad idea in theory; but... no, wait, I think I can think of a way to make that work. Will need some creative use of objects in not-entirely-intended ways, but this graphic set already does that with the flickering around the flames. (I can't add entirely new features this time, so I feel it's my responsibility to use existing ones in new ways instead. :P)

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the idea I had in mind limits me to one exit per level if I want it to work properly... But I can think of a way to modify Builderdash to only need one exit, so... (And I wouldn't be too worried about losing Builderdash in the first place, anyway. It's not really special in any way, just a fairly generic simple puzzle for the early ranks.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2018, 01:13:38 AM »
Made a lot of tweaks. I don't think the exit even needs further modification (except maybe on the flames), with the new background change.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2018, 10:08:37 AM »
I'd suggest you keep both types of bricks available for the background; the second one looks brighter, so it's easier to see things, but it's also just more plain.

Those dirty-yellow bricks from the first image were a lot creepier, fitting the mood much better! ;)

The exit is fine as it is; a good way to remind the player again that lemmings are actually mice... :D
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2018, 08:31:31 PM »
This is Builderdash as it currently stands. Note the newly-added spider web terrain; as well as the bookshelf no longer being hollow (which was very hard to pick up on visually, and didn't really have much level design advantage).

Also, the steel blocks around the top, and the flooring, are actually steel now. They weren't before due to an oversight; not that you could tell that from a screenshot.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2018, 10:58:33 PM »
I made a new background for the Garden set. I'll probably add a bit more to this background eventually.

Here's Swampflower (from the demo), with the new background... and a few other minor decorative changes (nothing that impacts the solution).

« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 03:35:46 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2018, 11:14:18 PM »
Now that is an improvement!
Visually appealing and easy to tell what's what :thumbsup:
I'd probably blur the bg a tad just to be safe but I like this change

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2018, 11:17:13 PM »
Here's how it looks on another level I made recently.

"Secret Garden"
Save 28 of 30
SR 50
No time limit
2 climbers, 1 bomber, 1 blocker, 3 platformers, 2 builders, 1 basher, 2 miners.

And yes, that thing between the first and second flowers on the second clump of terrain is indeed a trap - specifically, a single-use trap.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 03:36:15 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects