Author Topic: Recoloring of tileset = new tileset  (Read 3013 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Recoloring of tileset = new tileset
« on: May 16, 2018, 08:38:03 AM »
Source topic: Merge namida/Giga's LP sets or have both?

Quote from: Simon
Quote from: Strato
I mean, after all, we have multiple versions of the standard graphic sets, like dirt, fire etc., precisely for that reason! ;)

Why do you want two sets that are nearly identical visually, and 100 % identically physically? If you prefer the other look, then copy the extra versions back. Keeping clutter would be a cost for everybody.

For the same reason that applies to all graphic sets: Different aesthetics. ;)

Physically, most of the Lemmings 2 graphic sets are also very similar - most levels using them consist of slopes, squares, and rectangles. Yet people use all of them :) .
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 10:32:55 PM by Simon »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Recoloring of tileset = new tileset
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 11:16:50 AM »
Why do you want two sets that are nearly identical visually, and 100 % identically physically?

For the same reason that applies to all graphic sets: Different aesthetics. ;)

Physically, most of the Lemmings 2 graphic sets are also very similar - most levels using them consist of slopes, squares, and rectangles. Yet people use all of them :) .

The Lemmings 2 sets don't satisfy (look nearly identical and behave identically) and thus aren't a counterexample here.

Assume I re-shade the L1 Crystal set slightly. Should that get added as an extra set? Should it matter whether one random L1 port of the 30 had that exact shade? When I make 20 such more slightly differently-shaded Crystal set offsprings, should they all get added?

For context: This is not sparked by namida/Giga merge/alongside, but by the Genesis L1 sets that were part of NL.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 10:29:42 PM by Simon »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 12:02:32 PM »
Assume I re-shade the L1 Crystal set slightly. Should that get added as an extra set?

I remember you showed me a picture of the crystal set re-shaded in gold. That I would call extra set worthy, as it changes the whole atmosphere. Also just adding the gold tiles as an addition into the crystal style would also be viable. A slightly different tone of blue would not be extra set worthy.

Anyway just asking @Simon: Do you have the pngs/pictures or even the whole set of that golden crystal set anywhere by chance, or do you only have that one screenshot you showed to me back then? ???   If you only got the picture, could you post it here anyway as an example? It may help the set-variation discussion a bit here.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 12:35:36 PM »
I remember you showed me a picture of the crystal set re-shaded in gold. That I would call extra set worthy, as it changes the whole atmosphere.

I agree with that, particularly given that new-format NL supports, and designers frequently use, tileset mixing. The "gold crystal" tileset would have a different set of tilesets it goes well with. I don't think it should be added right now just in case anyone ever wants to use it, but I think if anyone does come up with a level where the "gold crystal" set is needed to give it the aesthetic they want, they can add the tileset if they wish.

Another point is that NL already has a large number of tilesets, so adding one more doesn't make the task of finding a particular one in the scrollbar very much harder.

This is why I support the current situtation with the Genesis sets: Genesis Dirt (completely different coloration) is its own tileset, the others are not.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 12:56:06 PM »
Crysilis, by Askeli. I have only the picture of the level, not the level itself nor its tileset:

This seems to have been a pure hue change. I would keep the light yellows as they are, and  mix some orange into the darker shades of yellow.

-- Simon

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 07:04:42 PM »
Crysilis, by Askeli. I have only the picture of the level, not the level itself nor its tileset:

This seems to have been a pure hue change. I would keep the light yellows as they are, and  mix some orange into the darker shades of yellow.

-- Simon
Not gonna lie, I would like to see that as a graphic set, it'd have to be shaken up to justify it IMHO

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 09:18:05 PM »
This conversation is making me wonder more about my act of ripping and recoloring brick tileset pieces for my TA Dragon set.
I've been thinking about making a set that consists of various miscellaneous pieces that don't fit into sets (like my cat trap) and other palette swapped pieces, but is that really a good idea?
I think we have to answer how far we should let this color-changing idea go. Palette swaps are fine and can look really nice (those gold crystals are 8-), as are Giga's remakes) but if we start going overboard with it then we have clutter.
Is it worth it to create some feature that allows for custom skins or palette swaps to an existing tileset? That seems like quite a bit of work from a coding perspective. If this feature did exist, how would it work in conjunction with tileset mixing? Would it be built into the level design, or a player-side preference? Would it be possible to use multiple skins at the same time (say I wanted to use a piece from Giga's remake and a piece from the original set both in the same level?)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 09:55:43 PM »
Is it worth it to create some feature that allows for custom skins or palette swaps to an existing tileset? That seems like quite a bit of work from a coding perspective.

It would not be very difficult at all with the way NeoLemmix handles configuration data and tileset loading (or rather, I should say piece loading - NeoLemmix doesn't load entire tilesets anymore, only the individual pieces it needs; it DOES still understand the concept of a tileset at a higher level than just "part of the path to a file"). The hardest part would be, especially if it's a user-side option, creating the menu to select your preferences.

This is at least assuming the alternative skins are still standard resolution, not higher-res ones; NeoLemmix currently has no support for higher resolution graphics. (It would be tricky, but not impossible, to add support. Probably not worth the effort, though - for physics reasons all tilesets would still need to have a standard resolution skin, and aside from the official sets which could be ripped from WinLemm, tileset creators would also need to create the high-res versions for NeoLemmix to use.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 10:43:19 PM »
I remember that level. :)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 01:19:46 AM »
:scared: 8-)

that golden crystal tileset :thumbsup:
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 11:10:39 AM »
...looks amazing! :) We need that thing!

After all, it isn't that much of a problem if a pack creator recolours graphic sets for their pack? Arty for example created the blue fire objects for SubLems. You only need to ensure to include your edited graphic set in the level pack file itself; you cannot rely on the user having it installed, like with the standard tilesets.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels