Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] SEB Lems [Difficulty: Medium-Hard]  (Read 32807 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] SEB Lems [Difficulty: Medium-Hard]
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2021, 11:28:16 AM »
Quote from: kayhwyn
Having said this, I'm in complete agreement that Murder 9 should be moved up again, up to the Rapture rank.

I don't know who you're in agreement with, because the only other person playing this pack, as of recently, was me. ;) And I certainly don't think this level should go higher! :P

Rapture 3 definitely got me quite upset with myself and I had contemplated leaving the community due to feeling worthless if I couldn't solve the level.

So you were beating yourself up over not being able to solve a level that an estimated 80% of the forum members have never even attempted, because they haven't gotten that far into the pack in the first place? ;)

Now that I've gotten through the 6 main ranks of the pack, I got to say that overall the Murder rank is harder than Rapture. There were way more Murder levels that were harder for me. A lot of Rapture levels are hard due to a lot of extreme precision needed. Then again, I felt I overcomplicated a lot of the solutions.

That gives me hope for the last 5-6 levels of Rapture, I should probably attempt them again soon... 8-)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2021, 08:30:14 PM »
Having said this, I'm in complete agreement that Murder 9 should be moved up again, up to the Rapture rank.

I don't know who you're in agreement with, because the only other person playing this pack, as of recently, was me. ;) And I certainly don't think this level should go higher! :P

Have you considered the fact that some people post only after they finish an entire rank or even the entire pack? Or even not at all? I have been told there are some other people who are currently playing through the pack, although probably not as fast as I am or they're going through other packs in the meantime because SEB Lems is stumping them badly. Indeed, this pack even had me trembling, and you already know that I'm considered one of the more adept solvers in this community.

You totally underestimate the difficulty of Murder 9. You likely have not seen the videos where I really struggled with this level. If anything, if it does end up going into the Rapture rank it should probably be in the early part of the ranking, as some of the Rapture levels are quite easy for their position.

Rapture 3 definitely got me quite upset with myself and I had contemplated leaving the community due to feeling worthless if I couldn't solve the level.

So you were beating yourself up over not being able to solve a level that an estimated 80% of the forum members have never even attempted, because they haven't gotten that far into the pack in the first place? ;)

Some levels have that effect of making me feel bad about myself as a solver. Rapture 3 was one of them. It sent me into a depression that was a bigger deal than it needed to be, where it got so bad to the point that I was thinking of leaving the community and never showing my face again. Again, it was more due to not used to being very stumped and how I didn't mind the getting very badly stumped at first, but after some time in the same pack it wasn't really funny anymore with me making a fool of myself on-camera. Once more, I say a psychological thing is at work here, where I acknowledge that solving well and recording yourself solving on camera are both difficult to do well! I'm aware of what I signed up for since day 1 of LPing packs. Honestly, you should try putting yourself in that position and give it a go and you'll see. In any case, taking a week break from the game and playing other non-Lemmings games in the meantime really helped me get myself out of my slump, and I returned a lot sooner than I thought I would. So really, I stand by what I said and it was really me being too hard on myself. I have a bad tendency to doubt myself a lot, just so you know!

Now that I've gotten through the 6 main ranks of the pack, I got to say that overall the Murder rank is harder than Rapture. There were way more Murder levels that were harder for me. A lot of Rapture levels are hard due to a lot of extreme precision needed. Then again, I felt I overcomplicated a lot of the solutions.

That gives me hope for the last 5-6 levels of Rapture, I should probably attempt them again soon... 8-)

My assessment of the final 6 levels:

15 - Somewhat difficult. I thought it was going to be really hard since it gives a lot of stackers and I'm generally really bad with such levels, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. Really you can say these are hard for kaywhyn levels :crylaugh:
16 - Easy
17 - Easy as well even though I struggled with it longer than I needed to but that's because I thought of the solution the wrong way
18 - Somewhat difficult, but it's not too hard. I'm pretty sure my solution is a backroute, and mine nearly fails anyway. I don't think there's much that Flopsy can do to block it, though
19 - Very hard, although here I really overcomplicated mine. It can be easy as long as you know what you're doing :crylaugh:
20 - Definitely nowhere near the hardest level of the main pack. It's somewhat challenging, but it's quite easy for the most part. At least when you're doing the normal solution. The talisman solution is considerably harder, and I ironically went for it even though I stated in the video that I wouldn't! :crylaugh:

As for 14, as you have seen the starting area is very hard to do. And yes, it's supposed to be very precise. Interestingly enough, I was able to figure it out and after solving it I compared my solution to Icho's, and it turns out we did the starting area the exact same way. Once you are successful in getting it to work, the rest is quite easy, although the tight timer doesn't really help matters. I assure you, it's really not as bad as you're making it out to be! :P 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2021, 06:01:20 PM »
I already solved Rapture 14 a while ago, but I haven't made any further progress since then.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2021, 06:47:36 PM »
Does that mean you're currently struggling with Rapture 15? :P
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2021, 07:09:27 PM »
I haven't been playing SEB Lems for a while, that's what it means ;) .
My packs so far:

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2021, 06:29:06 AM »
MegSEBytes rank completed. Replays up through MegSEBytes 20 attached. As you know, I've already played and solved the entire MegSEBytes pack for Old Formats months ago, and so except for the two exclusive MegSEBytes levels found only in the New Formats version, I'm already familiar with all the levels in this rank. Because of this, the rank as a whole was easy for me. The hardest ones for me were MegSEBytes 14, 17, and 19. I was trying very hard to remember the solutions I used in the Old Formats version of these 3 levels. Even if I wanted to, I wouldn't be able to use the Old Formats replays, because apparently some of them don't work, like with MegSEBytes 15. I think the only reason it fails is just due to the compatibility going from Old Formats to New Formats. Doesn't matter, because I eventually was able to figure out the levels again myself. However, I show cased my Old Formats solution for MegSEBytes 14 as well, and as you will see in the video I definitely didn't remember that solution before I solved the New Formats version. In this case, I like the new solution I came up with much better. My previous solution is just way too fiddly and very timing heavy and far tighter on time.

AFAIK, the levels were mostly the same, except for MegSEBytes 17 and 19. In the case of MegSEBytes 17, I checked the Old Formats version after solving, and it would appear the New Formats version is significantly harder, due to how you are allowed 1 less loss than the corresponding Old Formats version. The other change is with OWAs. Once again, timing heavy solution galore. :crylaugh:

After solving MegSEBytes 19, I tried to showcase my Old Formats solution, but that one doesn't work. I just checked my Old Formats solution, and now I know why it fails. In that version, I ended up having a miner leftover. However, in the New Formats version all skills are required.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All rightie, down to the final Unrequited rank and the final 20 levels of the pack. So far, I've only done the first two levels of the rank, but I will post one final time with my replays after I complete the rank. After finishing this rank, I'm still unsure of whether I want to tack on the cut Deep Cuts rank from the Old Formats version. However, since you mentioned that those levels will eventually be released in some form or another, I think I'll just wait and simply not bother with tacking it on at the end.     

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2021, 04:17:10 AM »
And, after almost a month and 75 LP videos (technically 76 since one of the videos for my Murder 5 attempt is missing but I foolishly didn't have OBS open, therefore I struggled with the level far longer than what you'll see in the LP), the SEB Lems pack has fallen! All 160 levels completely solved, and without hints. Here is my entire replay collection for your pack, Flopsy.

Also, link to the complete LP of SEB Lems: Kaywhyn's LP of Flopsy's SEB Lems for NL New Formats

As mentioned in my thoughts in the final LP video, I really liked a lot of how the Unrequited levels turned out. You and Wafflem did a nice job with taking bits of unfinished levels and making great ones out of them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Overall, I absolutely enjoyed this pack. Other than the levels that required a lot of precision, which I don't mind if there isn't that much and on occasion, but if there's too many in a row, that caused me to perceive a decline in level quality. I definitely felt that a lot with the Rapture rank and to an extent the Murder rank. Nevertheless, there's just so many great levels in the pack that the positives definitely outweigh the negatives here. Nice job with this pack! Now that I've solved the entire pack, I definitely understand why everyone struggles with it, especially when they're in the Murder and Rapture ranks. Even the first rank of Paradise is no complete pushover. I felt some resistance in it, and so that was the earliest sign to me that I signed up to LP a difficult pack. However, as I said before the Paradise rank is not a throwaway rank at all. Those easy and open-ended levels were very much a welcome sight. I ended up struggling on levels that I probably shouldn't had, and I obviously don't feel good about that, but at the same time there were also plenty of levels that others had trouble with that I didn't. Everyone's roadblocks are different, and difficulty is very subjective and varies from person to person.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure there would had been far more levels I would had struggled with had I not gone through the NL Tutorial Pack way beforehand. I started SEB Lems months after I finished the aforementioned pack. The pack was a tremendous help with getting through United. Nevertheless, I made it through SEB Lems all without hints on any level. So, I'm now officially another of several people to have solved all of the pack. I was definitely beating myself over the head and being way too hard on myself when I sank into that depression with being stuck on Rapture 3. Since I managed to get myself unstuck on that level on my own and made it through the entire pack, I'm definitely here to stay. It's just like you said, I shouldn't worry about being stumped on levels, as it will happen and hence it's natural to get stuck. SEB Lems definitely gave me a good run of my solving abilities. Although I eventually felt like I stopped enjoying myself during the LP of SEB Lems, I still tried to downplay myself getting stumped and take it in great stride whenever I could.

With SEB Lems completely solved, I'm ready for another break from LPing. Perhaps I'll use this break to play around with the editor and make my first contest level. I still haven't done anything in regards to designing yet, so I should get on it soon, particularly with the deadline fast approaching. Thanks again for all the support and comments on the LP videos and some level solutions thus far. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of them when you're able to get to them! :thumbsup: As usual, no hurry and take your time. I understand you're busy and that time is quite limited.