Author Topic: GemLems (22/80 levels built) (Rank 1 released!)  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
GemLems (22/80 levels built) (Rank 1 released!)
« on: May 08, 2018, 12:35:06 am »
DOWNLOADS:

Amethyst rank
Music pack

Rank 1 is released!

Amethyst 19 - Lemmings All at Sea

It's about time :P I've been a member of this community (on and off) for well over ten years (I know my profile page says I registered in 2014, but I had two previous usernames). I've made a ton of levels for the Lix community set, a few multiplayer levels, and occasional contest entries. Back in the Cheapo days I was working on a huge pack, but my well of ideas started to run dry as soon as I was out of the Fun/Tricky ranks, and use of Cheapo eventually died out. (I still have it installed, and I will remake some of my old levels, but most of them honestly aren't worth keeping.)

Anyway, it's about time I made my own level pack.

GemLems will contain four ranks: Amethyst, Topaz, Sapphire and Diamond (in increasing order of hardness) and 20 levels per rank.

Every level will be exactly 720 x 160 (default height; 2ΒΌ times default width). I toyed with the idea of a pack of singlescreen levels, but I'm too fond of decorative terrain for that.

Most levels will stick to the original and ONML tilesets, but instead of a once-per-rank VGASPEC like the original games, I will have two levels per rank in Flopsy's Sonic tilesets, one using proxima/tile, and one level per rank using another tileset.

I'm building the levels strictly in the order they will appear in the pack. At the time of writing this post, I've built the first seven levels of Amethyst.

Thanks to Nessy and mobius for testing, and Flopsy for showcasing "We Must Cultivate Our Garden" (Amethyst 3) on stream.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 10:12:49 pm by Proxima »

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • The king of Blockers ;)
    • View Profile
Re: GemLems
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 01:33:58 am »
Great Proxima, I'm glad you decided to stick with your original pack name in the end :)

Thanks for using my Sonic tilesets in your pack, I guess since you're a Sonic fan, it's hard to expect anything different really.
No problem with showing off your Marble Garden level, if you have anymore you want me to play, just message them to me and I'll do it on my next stream, I'm still taking submissions :)
Don't tell me solutions to levels which I have not solved.

Lemmings: Gotta Go Fast - My NEW (in development) Sonic tileset dedicated level pack :)
SEB Lems - My first level pack (175 levels)
Flopsy's Youtube Channel - Watch Lemmings videos/streams with live commentary
Flopsy's Sonic Graphic Sets - Download Neo Lemmix compatible Sonic tilesets.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 03:27:57 am »
I'm building the levels strictly in the order they will appear in the pack. At the time of writing this post, I've built the first seven levels of Amethyst.

In my experience, it is very hard to maintain a good difficulty curve when doing this. Just take a look at my old Cheapo packs, for example.
My released level packs:
Lemmings Plus Series | Doomsday Lemmings

Offline Strato Incendus

• He who usually only makes it up to rank two
  • Your graphic-set conversion cleanup service ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 03:31:08 pm »
Oh God, that looks like more Nepster-style labyrinth madness ;) .

The main difficulty in such levels is just that they are visually confusing. I often find levels most genius when the solution is hiding in plain sight, rather than in "obstructed sight" :D .
Ghost Lemmings - help us test a possible new NeoLemmix skill!
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour, my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Paralems, a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems, a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 03:43:00 pm »
The first ten levels follow a pseudo-tutorial structure: the first five introduce the skills one or two at a time; Levels 6 to 10 introduce various game mechanics. I decided on this structure because I realised that the original game -- and most usermade packs that I know of -- has a series of skill introduction levels and one for one-way walls, but other mechanics just turn up haphazardly later on.

So, Levels 6 to 9 introduce steel, one-way walls, traps, and time limits; and this is the introduction level for lemmings being able to fit through tiny gaps. In all cases, I wanted the introduction level to be a genuine (albeit easy) puzzle and not a trivial demonstration. This is what I came up with 8-)

I've now decided on 16 levels per rank.

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 08:48:41 pm »
Ah, okay, that "slipping through small gaps" part is a fair point! I thought you were deliberately trying to create more maze-style levels ;) .

Which would of course also be fine, it's your pack, after all, I just find such levels oft end up as "cluttered for the sake of it".
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour, my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
Re: GemLems (16/80 levels built)
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 07:38:23 am »
Could you explain why? Is the pack just getting cancelled, or put on a hiatus? Why not simply lock it and possibly reopen it later? ;)
My packs so far:

Offline grams88

• Everyone is like a brother or sister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 11:33:47 am »
Hi Proxima

Take a break from it for the time being and you could always go back to it at some point.

Offline GigaLem

• Discord Server Owner
  • Graphic Set Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 09:29:12 pm »
Please delete this topic.
Hate to be that guy but unless you give a good reason why, I will not delete this topic
and why'd you remove your previews? I thought they looked pretty good

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: GemLems (20/80 levels built)
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 06:53:37 am »
Hey, it's been a while.

Unfortunately, because I'm on a very demanding course at the moment, I don't have much time for pack development, so this pack may take a long time to finish. So I've decided to release it in instalments -- each time I finish an entire rank, I'll post it here, except of course that when all four ranks are done I'll move this to the main "NeoLemmix Levels" board as usual.

That said, here is the complete Amethyst rank! 20 levels for your enjoyment, all decidedly towards the easier end of the spectrum. Have fun! :thumbsup:

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 07:25:24 am »
Music pack for GemLems (download is 35 MB).

All levels in original and ONML tilesets use original and ONML music, but instead of rotating the tracks, each tileset is paired with one or two tracks. For these, levels point to copies of the music tracks named "gem_brick1", "gem_brick2" etc. This means that if you've replaced the "orig_01" etc tracks with music of your choice, you can still have GemLems playing the original tracks without interfering with your own music rotation.

Levels in Sonic tilesets use Sonic music, and proxima/tile levels use Scott Joplin pieces. The music pack includes all of these that will be used in GemLems, not just the ones for the first rank. They make up the bulk of the download size.

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 12:24:32 pm »
So I've decided to release it in instalments -- each time I finish an entire rank, I'll post it here

Pretty much exactly what I have in mind regarding the testing of my next pack, too ;) .

This first one was pretty quick, usually I had quite a lot of skills remaining. Don't know to what extent this is intentional.

Replays are attached.
My packs so far:

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 01:56:52 pm »
That's fine, all solutions are acceptable in this rank. The surplus skills are either to make N-of-each patterns or to allow a variety of solutions.

Offline Akseli

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: GemLems (22/80 levels built) (Rank 1 released!)
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 09:38:08 pm »
Okay, I managed to play Amethyst rating now, my solutions are attached. :) I love the rating names corresponding the Mohs scale!

2: Big Bad John - The layout resembles a level I've played in Lix community pack that was most probably one of yours?
4: Tribute to PSP Lemmings - It's great! Played without pausing and managed to figure out the correct path at first try on the fly. The fall from the rightmost wall near the exit level seems to fail very barely, maybe another max-safe fall lesson! The level looks gorgeous. :)
5: For Flopsy - I did this solution of mine without pausing or features like frame control. I laughed at the text. :p
6: Steel Still Works - Lovely background added to Dirt tileset. The pun works! The level is very solid, too.
8: Keep Off the Grass - The music choice is so fitting, because this is very much Rent-a-lemming theme, the first Rock level in ONML. That said, wasn't the song in the previous level, "Morning Rescue", from L1 and not from ONML?
10: Dry Stone Wall - Like in all the first 10 levels, many little nuances of the gameplay are introduced variedly! :thumbsup:
11: In the Gallery of Frost - The only talisman I didn't go for yet because of its hardness.
12: Lemmings in a Material World - I quite like the Lix tileset, the song is from The Sting I'd recognize!
14: Jailbreak! - Both solutions are nice.
16: Shadowland - I know that these levels are open-ended, but it was hard to find an ordinary solution for this level so I'm actually interested to know if there was any particular intended solution for this level.
18: The Crystal Maze - A nice talisman solution. :)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: GemLems (22/80 levels built) (Rank 1 released!)
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 10:48:26 pm »
Thanks Akseli, always nice to get the detailed feedback :thumbsup:

2: Big Bad John - The layout resembles a level I've played in Lix community pack that was most probably one of yours?

Yes, that would be Daunting 11 "Go West!" Both levels go back to my ResEdit level set, and were originally just repeats of Fun 8 / Tricky 22. This is going to be GemLems' once-per-rank level 8-)

8: Keep Off the Grass - The music choice is so fitting, because this is very much Rent-a-lemming theme, the first Rock level in ONML. That said, wasn't the song in the previous level, "Morning Rescue", from L1 and not from ONML?

Indeed. I selected the tracks I like best from both games, then allocated them to styles by giving only one track to Dirt, Rock and Snow (the styles I expect to use least), two to each of the others. This meant I had to use one L1 track for an ONML style, and using "O Little Town of Bethlehem" for Snow was an obvious choice :D

If anyone's interested, the rest of the track allocation is as follows:
Tracklist (click to show/hide)

16: Shadowland - I know that these levels are open-ended, but it was hard to find an ordinary solution for this level so I'm actually interested to know if there was any particular intended solution for this level.

My solution is pretty much the same as yours, except that I isolate a worker by making the first lemming a climber.