Author Topic: [Part-Fixed][Bug?][Editor] One-way walls from another tileset  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
To reproduce:

* Start a new level in the Rock tileset. Place some terrain.
* Attempt to place one-way walls from the Snow tileset. Instead of Snow's red one-way walls, the editor will place Rock's pink ones.
* Change the Theme of the level to Snow. There is no change immediately, but if you click "Get Terrain" and then "Get Objects", the already placed arrows will still be pink, but now the object selection scroll will have red ones.
* Place a new (red) one-way wall object. The already placed pink arrows now change to red as well. Alternatively, playtest the level, which will also suddenly change them to red.

I'm not sure what the intended behaviour is here, but certainly the editor is not being very honest about what options are available to the designer.

I would certainly like, in some cases, to be able to place one-way walls from a tileset that doesn't match the main "theme". For instance, Rock's pink arrows look fine on the green crystals, but are horrible on the rocky terrain -- and Snow's red arrows would be perfect.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 07:55:01 PM by Nepster »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [Bug?][Editor] One-way walls from another tileset
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 06:31:41 AM »
If the desired graphic set has entirely custom one way arrows (eg. Crystal, most of my sets from LPIV onwards (and a few older ones)), you can do this without problem.

If however, it uses a recoloring of the default ones, there aren't seperate graphics for each set; they just use the ones from "default". The ones in default in turn have a recoloring mask applied, which is based on a color specified in the theme. (For the record, this is also true for pickup skills.) Take a look at the one-way arrow objects in "default" if you want to see in more detail how this works.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 05:01:24 PM »
There was a bug, that the one-way-arrows did not automatically recolor in the level when changing the main style. This only happened later when a full redraw was trigger in other ways. This is now fixed.

And as namida already mentioned: The standard one-way-arrow sprites should recolor depending on the main style. So after the fix, the editor should behave exactly like the NL player.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 10:15:56 PM »
I'm starting to think less of this "recoloring". It sounded good on paper but I can't say it's been all that great in practice.

I think a better solution is to simply change the default arrow colors of some sets (which I think most people agree on) to a better one, like what Proxima mentioned.
Then you can still mix and use any arrow from any set you want.

----------
because this is a related issue:

I'm finding that because this+ the automatic recolonization of backgrounds and builder stairs I'm often mixing styles, backgrounds and terrain sets, which can get confusing and prevent certain things.

Mainly the issue I'm having is I do not like this auto color background that comes when you select some L2 styles. Any sports level I make I choose the Circus style because I don't want to see that bright blue background. [selecting "no background" doesn't remove the blue background >:( ]
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 10:33:07 PM »
I'm finding that because this+ the automatic recolonization of backgrounds and builder stairs I'm often mixing styles, backgrounds and terrain sets, which can get confusing and prevent certain things. Mainly the issue I'm having is I do not like this auto color background that comes when you select some L2 styles. Any sports level I make I choose the Circus style because I don't want to see that bright blue background.

I'm still saying the custom single-color backgrounds should be the standard when selecting a set, as the tilesets often contain black tiles/objects when custom bgs are involved, but I have nothing against choosing to de-select them.  It should be used carefully though, you don't want to end up with near invisible stuff in your level - that's why having the bg as standard is still the safer bet.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 03:32:20 PM »
Yes, ideally level designers should be able to completely customize the background, builder brick and one-way-arrow colors. But as with so many other suggestions, this would require a lot of work on my part for relatively little gain. Please bring it up again, once this is no longer a "nice-to-have" feature, but the greatest improvement for NeoLemmix, that you can think of. :)