Author Topic: Buying my first Desktop PC  (Read 7502 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Buying my first Desktop PC
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2018, 06:33:43 PM »
thanks for all the advice here :thumbsup:

I recently upgraded my old Windows 7 desktop; installed (free upgrade) Windows 10 and added/replaced the hardware;

GTX 970--4 GB Nvidia graphics card, a Shark 600W PS, and added a second SSD hard drive. (still have a 1TB HDD). The SSD really is super fast! :lem-mindblown: I can download multi-GB stuff in no time at all! I don't care about noise, personally I never found my HDD loud or bothersome in the slightest. I did have to fashion  my own method of securing the SSD into my PC. (I didn't feel like buying a custom caddy to install and was too impatient to figure that out anyway). All I did was drill new holes into the existing HDD caddy. The SSD is so small!
The graphics card is working just fine for all my games! I can play anything now, no problems :D :D I'm glad I didn't spend more money on a 1060 or above, didn't seem to be necessary.
My only remaining concern is the heat. The GTX is huge; larger than what I expected, so the inside of the PC is now getting pretty cramped. The PS has a fan on the internal side of it (instead of on the outside like old one's I'm used to). I currently have it so it's directly facing the fans on the graphic card. Meaning there is a linear air flow from their to the PS and out; just not sure that is the best set up. The only other option is having it face a vent on the ceiling of the PC; drawing air from outside, but this really blocks air flow from the card. I can always adjust things later if I really have to.

Someday down the road--if I have the need-- I might upgrade the CPU and RAM but as of now there's really no need. Everything is fast enough for me. So now I have a 10+ year old PC going strong and performing up-to-date 8-)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 07:36:11 PM by mobius »
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 07:46:14 PM »
4 GB

Are you talking about the RAM? If so, I'd really suggest upgrading this, 4GB is a bit on the low side these days. 8GB should be plenty, but there's no harm in going to 12 or 16. (Beyond that starts to be a bit overkill, unless you specifically need it.)

That aside, sounds good!

GTX 9xx is still a solid choice, as long as you aren't intending to game in 4K (though a 980 can probably do 4K). I'm running on a GTX 960M myself, and it struggles a bit with 4K in games (it handles a 4K desktop no problem though), but performs solidly at 1080p.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2018, 07:39:32 PM »
no sorry, I meant the graphic card is 4GB. My RAM is 8.

Seeing as I now have a second computer with a possibly usable case and parts I'll likely slowly upgrade this one either on it's own or incorporating my current one for fun. :D I want the highest quality and most advanced everything, maybe I'll even try a water cooling system just for the hell of it :laugh:

-in seriousness though: Am I correct in assuming that for best streaming and video recording; a graphics card is not the only requirement; but a better CPU/RAM will help here?
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain