Author Topic: Where's Gronkling?  (Read 9205 times)

Offline joshescue18

• View Profile
Where's Gronkling?
« on: April 26, 2018, 01:43:06 AM »
Gronkling hasn't been active in a while. What's going on with him?

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
Re: Where's Gronkling?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 12:12:10 AM »
Hi joshescue18.

I honestly don't know what Gronkling is doing these days (especially considering the fact that I joined the forums after they became inactive). I believe he merely just lost interest in Lemmings either for now or indefinitely.

If you wish to play his custom levels you must wait for him to either come back and officially release them or he gives someone else permission to release them. There is nothing that no one on the forums can do about that.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 12:13:06 AM »
He hasn't been around in a long time. Last time I talked to him was... months ago and I think he's lost interest these days.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline joshescue18

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 12:54:03 AM »
Did you look at the Gronkling's profile?

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 01:17:46 AM »
I did look at Gronkling's profile. As I said there is nothing no one on the forum can do. Even if Gronkling is shown to have been on the forum a few months ago it is still his decision on what he does or does not do with his activities on the forum and/or his custom content.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 06:49:00 AM »
I don't feel it's necessary to make topics asking where people are in such a way. Especially after sending private messages to people about it.

Level packs are technically someone's property and you have no right to demand it. It is up to them to release the pack and we just wait for it to happen. If it never happens then that's fine.

Real life gets in the way and people don't always finish their projects and we should respect that. We're not level making machines and we do need to make a living.

Matter closed :)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 01:49:58 PM »
Gronkling hasn't been active in a while. What's going on with him?

Actually, I am interested in that as well. I am currently trying to reach out to him (forum pm and YouTube message) and asking for a "status update" -- if he has lost interest in Lemmings or simply has a ton of stuff to do.
I also included the question - when a person asks for it, that a beta version of the pack can be sent out to them. Such a version shouldn't be handed around without permission, therefore without an ok from Gronkling the pack shouldn't be spread.

As a beta tester I can also tell you about the current situation of the pack:

- It already got multiple patches that fixed quite a few backroutes, but a bunch of levels still need to be fixed a bit. Pesky backroutes! ;)
- In the last update I was able to solve all of the levels (they are really a challenge), so I can confirm solvability in the old format version. All in all it's a really good pack. :thumbsup:

So I am hoping one of my messages reached him and I will be able to hear from Gronkling soon. Then I or even Gronkling himself can give info about the situation. Also, when and only when I get an ok from him I could hand out the latest beta version on request via pm.

Offline joshescue18

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 09:50:07 PM »
According to summary from the profile, Gronkling has been active today. What was he doing?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 09:56:13 PM »
According to summary from the profile, Gronkling has been active today. What was he doing?

Anything beyond what you can already see on the "Who's Online" (which may be nothing at all, if the user in question has set themself to invisible) is generally something we can't see either, and even if we could, we'd consider it that user's private information.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 01:06:09 PM »
uuuh i often go through phases where i just completely lose interest in this game, then it comes back again :-[ this is/was just one of those periods. i also went through a bit of a weird phase where i got really demotivated and thought everyone hated my levels lol, especially after how poorly my last contest level went, but don't worry im over that now and don't think thats true anymore.

i had a dream about working on my pack a week ago, i think thats a sign i should get it finished over this holiday. i have been quite busy with school, but i have 2 months free now before i finally go to university, i think ill have a look again later today. i came on this morning because i accidentally clicked my bookmark. juts got an email now, and i didnt realise people missed me, sorry for disappearing!! ive been kind of putting off coming back because a lot seems to have updated/happened and i think ill need to do a load of admin work on my pack :sick:

also please dont spread a beta version of my pack around, it has lots of broken levels still :laugh:

you can find me most active on rateyourmusic these days

it would be nice if someone could tell me what i need to do to update my pack, as ive lost track
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 01:11:17 PM by Gronkling »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 02:22:55 PM »
it would be nice if someone could tell me what i need to do to update my pack, as ive lost track

Simply get the nxp converter from the NL website and convert the pack into a new format pack. You can also find the new format version + tilesets + pack creator there.

Now you would need to fix the levels + replays that broke using the new editor. Example: The ceiling is now deadly - I bet this will break at least something ;P

Also I noticed styles like minimal need their custom trap sound again. But we can help with that if you want. ;)

Edit: I still love the beta of your pack and I will gladly help with getting rid of more backroutes! :thumbsup:

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 05:31:44 PM »
We should probably move discussion concerning the pack to the Lemmings Evolution development topic

https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2642.0

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2020, 09:46:26 AM »
Soooooo I'm back again :8():
I realised that one of the reasons I never felt like coming around (along with just being busy) is because I found working on such a big pack really anxiety-inducing (very easy for me), so from now on I'll be going back to the 2000s and focusing on 10-20 level mini packs at a time. Now I just need to figure out what changed in the last 2.5 years. Other than these new emoticons :crylaugh::cute::excited::eyeroll::forehead::lemcat::sleep::smug:

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2020, 10:03:56 AM »
Welcome back, Gronkling! :thumbsup: I've been using a lot of your tilesets recently for level creation, thanks again for making all those! ;)

Now I just need to figure out what changed in the last 2.5 years. Other than these new emoticons

Well, to start with, we have two new skills - the Shimmier and the Jumper - and there is most likely at least one, if not several new ones coming when NeoLemmix reaches its final version! ;)

The current candidates are Slider, Laser Blaster (Laserer), Spear Thrower (Spearer) and Bazooker / Mortar (Grenadier). The last two form a unit of "destructive and constructive projectile skills".

The new emoticons were made by WillLem, as far as I recall. ;)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2020, 10:19:18 AM »
I'm not sure where the proper place is but I vote slider because the other ones seem too out of character for lemmings :0