Author Topic: FANL2: Many different ways  (Read 9051 times)

FANL2: Many different ways
« on: October 04, 2005, 01:01:16 AM »
This level is quite tricky....but it has 5+ known solutions now! This is the thread for the collection of the old backroutes and any potential new ones. Um....so what are they so far?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: FANL2: Many different ways
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 11:24:21 AM »
My solution:

Second lemming mines on third stair. First lemming builds over gap at the end of the metal. Third lemming builds back to the OWW on the left. First lemming bashes to stop building (he will have laid just one brick) and builds twice to reach the ledge on the right over the water. Make him a floater at the *bottom* of his fall. He bashes left through OWW, mines at a precise point (I think it's directly beneath the edge of the fourth and fifth metal plates), bashes after four strokes. Build right from the top of the stairs on the left, bash OWW. Crowd go to far left then come back up bridge. Bash through it.

Special_Gunpowder's solution:

Have the third lemming bash through the wooden steps. Make lemming one build over the thin gap and have lemming four close the gap to the left with another bridge. Have the second lemming mine to turn around when he's on top of the OWW and then when he falls down the pit, have him mine and bash his way through the yellow bricks to the left. When he emerges out the other side, have him build (he should be low enough to survive the fall from the end of the bridge). Have lemming one build across to the platform above the water, float down and bash through the OWW (as in part one). Free the group of lemmings by bashing through the bridge and then use the remaining basher to get through the right-pointing OWW.

Conway's solution:

Lem3 bashes through the steps. Lem4 builds to the left to the OWW. Lem1 builds over the narrow gap. Lem2 mines on the OWW, turns to the second narrow gap, and bashes onto the room. Lem1 does the same thing the hero does in Fall and No Life. Lem2 mines out the room to the left, walks up the stairs, and turns. Make him build a step or two back from the very edge of the top step (so his first step can block the path of lemmings walking up), and make him bash through to release the others. Finally bash the remaining OWW.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 12:13:10 AM »
This is how I solved it:

1) #2 bashes at the steps.
2) #1 is made into a floater and builds over the little gap.
3) #3 builds to close the gap on the left. No lemmings should fall through.
4) RR 99
5) #1 builds one step when he is on the steel, and then mines.
6) #1 bashes through the OWW.
7) #1 mines four strokes close to the second OWW, and then bashes.
8) #1 builds right on the top of the stairs on the left. If the bridge blocks the lemmings from going up the stairs, that's good. If it doesn't then you can just bash through the bridge.
9) #1 bashes through the last OWW.

It is similar to yours, but I had ~18 seconds left. It would have been more if I had bashed to stop building over the little gap, and slightly more if I had made the lemming a floater close to the ground.

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 12:48:47 AM »
I just did it again (with some optimization) and I ended up with 26 seconds left.

Edit: (Oct 5th, 2005, 6:11am) I have a solution in mind that could take less than 2 minutes. I'll have to try it later though.

Edit: (Oct 5th, 2005, 8:55am)  I'm guessing about 1:50 (1:10 left on the clock). I've been trying to execute it for some time now.......

Edit: (Oct 5th, 2005, 9:49am) The fastest I have successfully executed it so far is 1:49. I'm pretty sure that <1:40 is possible, I just have to execute it.

It's about 1:50 AM now so I won't write the solution until tomorrow.

Edit: (Oct 5th, 2005, 10:12am) 1:37, not bad considering it's after 2:00 AM. I might be getting sick so I'm going to bed. No more lemmings for today :-(

Leviathan

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 12:35:11 PM »
I have tried a couple of new methods but I'm always out of miners :(

I think there's some solution involving reverse bashing and/or removing ground above a lem with a miner (when he first swings)...
I'm almost sure something like this is possible near the narrow gaps,but I haven't been able to pull it off yet.

I've put off a screenshot of my intentions at the lemmings file portal.Look for fanl2.png

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 04:15:47 PM »
You're on the right track. That is what I was thinking before I figured out the solution. The solution does involve going right, but it is not too much like that idea. Just keep thinking about it and you may eventually get it. I think I'll upload a screenshot of the solution, but I just figured out how I can shave off about 10 seconds, so after that.

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 04:35:02 PM »
I just got a screenshot when I did it in 1:25 but it was so faded you couldn't see the level. When I get one up I'll call it FANL2_125, or however fast I did it.

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 04:54:42 PM »
I got 1:24 3 times, but the screen was too faded. >:( I have to go to school now so I'll get it up later.

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 12:25:01 AM »
OK, it's up. It might be a bit hard to see what happened because the black arrows obscure some stuff. It doesn't seem too hard to figure out to me though.

---------------

Could some please fix my triple post!?

Conway

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 01:18:01 AM »
Oops! I just read that and thought you meant to group your string of corrections into one post. Sorry, but it does look more tidy!  :-[

Why don't you register, then you can edit or delete your own posts?

Deathman48

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 01:23:32 AM »
I think he's been asked that before. XD

"1) #2 bashes at the steps.
2) #1 is made into a floater and builds over the little gap.
3) #3 builds to close the gap on the left. No lemmings should fall through.
4) RR 99
5) #1 builds one step when he is on the steel, and then mines.
6) #1 bashes through the OWW.
7) #1 mines four strokes close to the second OWW, and then bashes.
8) #1 builds right on the top of the stairs on the left. If the bridge blocks the lemmings from going up the stairs, that's good. If it doesn't then you can just bash through the bridge.
9) #1 bashes through the last OWW."

Ah yes, very clever. I seemed to recall someone saying about Lemming 1 building and mining to turn around but that seemed to require a third miner which you don't have, I forgot you didn't need a second Lemming to go with him. That backroute solution is incredible too. ^^

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 02:57:23 AM »
Which backroute solution? Do you mean the one in the screenshot?

Deathman48

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 03:01:29 AM »
http://eng-forum.lemmingswelt.de/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=news;action=display;num=1117062115

I meant the backroute there. You said you had a screenshot but I couldn't actually work out where it was. ^^;

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 03:05:28 AM »
It is in Mindless' file portal. It's called FANL2_124.

Deathman48

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2005, 03:14:33 AM »
Ah, I see. I came across that the other day but didn't know you were referring to that. My apologies. ^^;

That's certainly a hell of a solution as I can hardly work out what you've done for half of it, most notably how you managed to do the top mining section through the gap or how you turned a Lemming around and still did 2 mining tunnels.

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2005, 04:30:18 AM »
"a hell of a solution" is a pretty good description, but I'll still write a full explanation when I feel up to it.

Leviathan

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2005, 05:50:21 AM »
That's why in my idea I have one miner too short...
How did you turn around that lemming?

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2005, 06:35:41 AM »
That part isn't too hard to explain..... I made one lemming build, and then the second one bashed into the bridge, and then built to turn around. You can sort of see it in the screenshot.

Deathman48

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2005, 06:38:53 AM »
Ah yes, I can see it now. I was getting FANL mixed up with FANL2 where in the original you only have 3 builders and I was trying to work out how you used what looks to be at least 4. Blame my lack of sleep for that one. >_<

Leviathan (at school)

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2005, 11:23:34 AM »
I still can't see how you turned around the lemming on the OWW above...

You let lem 2 bash trough the bridge the first lem made...but then lem 2 and all the rest fall into the first gap and the second lem reaches the OWW,going in the wrong direction.

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2005, 08:29:57 PM »
Two lemmings reached the OWW. "second one" was referring to the second lemming on the OWW. Maybe I'll make more screenshots...

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2005, 09:50:20 PM »
I have uploaded some screenshots showing various parts of the solution. They are called "FANL2_122_x", where x is 0-4.

Conway

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2005, 09:56:50 PM »
Impressive! How many different solutions does that make now?

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2005, 09:59:48 PM »
Six, if my first one counts.