Author Topic: Secret levels in Genesis Cartidge  (Read 5874 times)

drumnbach

Secret levels in Genesis Cartidge
« on: September 25, 2005, 07:48:31 PM »
When I was ten years old, I got pissed off at Lemmings and punched the game cartridge. The game sort of crashed, but instead of just dying on me, the game opened up all of its levels, and two mystery levels titled ]Test 1^ and ]Test 2^. I remember Test 1 had lots of pillars, some flags, and you had 99 of each ability. Test 2 also had the same mysterious flags.

Another strange thing that happened in the same incident was this. The [track list\ for the music was in the same order, but with a lag of three levels. What I mean, the music that should\ve played for level 27 would instead play on level 24, and the same applied for all levels.

I know this sounds like horse-shit, but it actually happened. I posted a similar topic two years ago under a different name, btw, for those who happen to find this topic strangely familiar.

Jazzem

Re: Secret levels in Genesis Cartidge
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 08:10:40 PM »
By the sounds of it, they were just levels for DMA/Sunsoft to test the game engine. Advice though, just punch your bed whenever you get angry!

Craig3410

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 01:18:40 AM »
Cool!

Now to figure out how to punch a ROM cartridge! :)

JM

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 12:57:10 PM »
I would never punch a ROM cartridge hehe

Conway

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 03:12:23 PM »
The same happened with me with the Megadrive. There was also every level available to play without using the passwords.

Craig3410

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 08:36:17 PM »
Seriously, there's got to be a way to figure out how to get to the levels.

The emulator I use (http://gens.consolemul.com/index.shtml) has a debug function, and even though I can't understand a damn thing  :D doesn't mean it's useless. Can't we find the routine that pulls up the level and edit it to go to the debug levels?

craig341

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 12:02:02 AM »
Looking at the lemmings file in a hex editor, I found, in a section that appears to store level information (level title, time, # of abilities, etc.), between Fun 30 and Tricky 1, levels named "test level" and "flag test level".

If you want to find them yourselves, search for an ANSI string of "test level" without the quotes and case sensitive.

drumnbach

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 07:01:37 PM »
That's the one: "Flag Test"!

Yeah same here, Conway! I really didn't want to switch the game off.