Author Topic: Video game genre  (Read 7634 times)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
Video game genre
« on: February 23, 2018, 12:53:29 AM »
I thought to ask the question

I thought I ask what is your favorite genre of video game and what is your least favorite?
I'll go first

My favorite genres would probably be the ones such as racing games, sport games like golf or pool. Classic games, I'm not too sure if classic games would itself be a genre but I will throw that out there to see what everyone else thinks. Board and card games could be a genre as well. A lot of my video game collection contains a lot of racing and puzzle games mainly.

Genres that I'm probably not too keen on might be (real time strategies) or maybe (role playing games) My brother has tried to get me into real time strategies but it's probably something I've not been too excited about.

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
Re: Video game genre
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 01:22:15 AM »
Puzzle games and RPGs tend to be what I gravitate toward. I've tried real-time strategy games... Nope. Don't like that.

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 01:35:34 AM »
My favorite type of genres tend to be the platformer and puzzle genre games (and what do you know Lemmings is a puzzle-platformer :)) This is probably because I grew up with games like Super Mario Bros. that started my love for not only platforming games but video games in general, and Lemmings started my love for solving and creating puzzles (even if they weren't as good when I started making them when I was younger :P).

I don't have a least favorite genre, but if I had to choose one it would probably be sport/racing games. I don't have anything against them, but I guess they were games that I just never really got into personally.

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 03:17:09 AM »
I tend to love platformers and point-and-click adventure games. My least favorite would have to be RTS. I'd normally say FPS, but I love Metroid Prime.
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 03:21:06 AM »
I like music games myself, games like Guitar Hero, Rock Band and Project DIVA. They've always been my forte since about 12 years ago and I still enjoy them on a daily basis now. Nothing gives your fingers more exercise than those games do.

I also am a big fan of the Mario franchise and Sonic franchise, the 2 kings of platforming games.

Also like the Mario Party games and just party franchises in general, I'm even hosting a Jackbox session this Sunday :D

I'm also a fan of Real Time Simulator games like The Sims and the Tropico series, I'm a bit picky in this genre though and not everything appeals to me :)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 03:58:59 AM »
Well, my favourite genre would be puzzle games; no surprise there considering what forum we're on :P The very first game I fell in love with, and shaped a huge part of my childhood, was the Repton series -- especially 3 since it has a level editor 8-) Even in other games, I love it when the game engages the puzzle-solving part of my brain -- finding all the extra lives and good routes through the levels in Sonic, planning what stats to upgrade in each level in Iji, etc.

I don't have a particular second-favourite genre, but other genres I love are: classic 2D platformers; RPGs; shoot 'em ups. At the retro gaming conventions I attend with my friend Jonathan, I always have a go at some racing games and fighting games, and generally enjoy those even though I'm very bad at them :P

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 10:57:33 AM »
My favourites are obviously platformers (Rayman), "simple" arcade games and survival games. I don't really dislike any genre, but i think my least played games are slow paced strategy games or simulators.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 08:27:39 PM »
Pure puzzle games and puzzle mixed with other genres are my favorite. (Games like Zelda, Portal etc.) And point and click adventures.
I like Platformers like Mario and Metroid.
Action/RPG games I also like, like sword fighting games. I like occasional pure RPGs like pokemon.

I loved playing Racing games with my friends when I was young but solo racing games I never got into, always finding them boring. I hardly play any pure fighting games, sport or strategy games. I loathe games like the SIMS. I used to play sandbox games a little bit like Garry's Mod but got totally bored with them. Never played minecraft, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it.

I can't really narrow down my preferences to genres, cause I like a small number of games in almost every genre, but dislike most of the games I've tried or been introduced to :D . I think I mostly like games that are unique and surprising, and have a lot of depth.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 12:17:08 AM »
Not exactly related but

My go to RPG is Pokemon (series)
My go to platformer is Sonic 3K or Freedom Planet
My go to run n' gun is Metal slug

I have planet of other games that would fit into these categories but there's too many to list

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 01:01:08 PM »
I like platformers most.
I am, surprisingly, not a big fan of puzzle games. If it's puzzle games that you can pause, like Lemmings, it's okay... but those where you cannot, like Tetris and Puyo Puyo, I can't really get into. I'm also bad at Zelda games because of the puzzle-solving and exploration involved.
I don't play games with teen or mature rated content. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which is also rated 12, I could perhaps play, but I'm not sure if I will.
I do quite like music games, but I don't think I've got any, actually. Racing games are fun to me, too, but not with real cars (so just games like Mario Kart, Re-Volt, and Micro Machines). Other sports, I don't tend to enjoy as much.
Is that what you wanted to hear? :)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 10:41:33 PM »
Some interesting replies.

I can only think of one RPG game that I've played and that would have to be the gameboy Pokemon games.

607 you might like a game called stunt gp, don't get me wrong it is not as good as Re volt but it's worth a try. Re volt seems to be one of the best RC car games out there but I could be wrong.

I've been playing through the tomb raider games again, there are a few that I have not completed before, I'm currently doing the tomb raider anniversary which is quite fun. I've sort of set myself a challenge where I try not to look at the walkthroughs, something that I haven't done yet. (Hopefully not yet anyway)

Offline BBP

• View Profile
    • BB's lair!
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 04:28:56 PM »
I love the good ol' adventure games, particularly Sierra's ones. Shooting games I hate. And 3D games because they tend to make me seasick. :sick:
Playing: Lemmings Revolution
Solved: 93 - Unsolved: 9 - Unreached: 0
Last completed level: The Long And Winding Road

Offline combatmatrix088

• Cognosce te ipsum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 01:58:25 PM »
Sci-fi 3rd/1st person shooters with RPG elements

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 06:47:40 PM »
(No spoilers in this post. Just mentioning it because one part looks like it might veer into spoiler territory.)

Puzzles, platformers, and classic-style JRPGs. A lot of my favorite games combine the "puzzle" and "platformer" genres in some way - eg. Wario Land, Oddworld, etc. (There are limits though. If the puzzles get to the point I'm having to frequently consult a guide, it's a bit off-putting. La-Mulana 2 is an example of this; even the first was pushing it a bit in that direction, but the 2nd was well and truly too far for my liking.) If I had to name a single favorite though, it's from the JRPG genre, namely Final Fantasy X - I suspect many of you knew that either from me mentioning it in the past, or from how closely my RPG's gameplay is based on FFX's.

I can enjoy most of the common multiplayer genres - FPSes, RTSes, fighters or racing games - on a casual level for an occasional game, but I'm not particularly into them and definitely not all that good at them.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)