Author Topic: Level Designing of a different kind  (Read 8115 times)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
Re: Level Designing of a different kind
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 01:15:27 AM »
Commander keen from the videos I've seen of it looks kind of like duke nukem and duke nukem 2, by the way two very good games I thought. Duke 2 is a really good platform one.

I was thinking a little bit about something which was it does seem like a small world sometimes as you come across certain game forum and you notice, hey I remember that person from the lemmings forum. It's kind of cool when that happens. 

Offline Crane

• View Profile
Re: Level Designing of a different kind
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 09:10:01 PM »
The first three episodes of Commander Keen were fairly basic platformers but fairly good for their time, given the PC didn't have the dedicated hardware that consoles have.  Fun fact... Commander Keen's engine was first written as an attempt to port Super Mario 3 to the PC, which Nintendo weren't interested in... but why waste a technological feat!  By the way, these guys were id Software and went on to make Wolfenstein 3D, Doom and Quake!

Commander Keen 4 is more on par with Duke Nukem 2. Here's a longplay of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKHUOKVzo0Q - and yeah, the opening credits pays homage to The Terminator!