Author Topic: The Lemmings The Ports Book  (Read 20124 times)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
Re: The Lemmings The Ports Book
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2018, 01:02:42 AM »
Just wanted to post a bit of encouragement.

Try to keep the PDF one going or electronic one if you can Jaycee. I was maybe thinking of keeping my e-books going even though I don't get many sales or anything like it myself. You put a lot of effort into your one Jaycee, don't give up, try to keep it going if there is a way go for it.

Offline jaycee900

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2018, 10:09:46 AM »
@LJLPM - thanks, though i wouldn’t charge for a revised edition in general.

@Leo - again thanks, yeah alot of screenshots were captured myself, i did cut a couple of corners i.e with the Amiga ones as there were given with permission, but its a kind offer for you to do, maybe when im closer to updating i might take your offer up.

@gramms88 - thanks for the kind words, i do want to update this book, but its more a question of time atm, we have a new puppy who is hands on, some bar checking stuff on my ipad i havent turned my laptop on since Christmas!

Offline Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2018, 06:38:25 PM »
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Amiga screenshots are wrong because on the 'Amiga Lemmings' only play area is 320xsomething and "lemmings number, percentage and time", "skill icons and mini map" is 640xsomething. So, if whole screenshot is in 320x200, resolution of the lower part of the screen is 50% lower then it really is in the game. Half of the pixels are missing.
Of course, at the end it is your decision how you want to show this in the book. And, if you (and whenever) wan't my help with this, just ask and I will be happy to assist you.

Offline jaycee900

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 05:03:41 PM »
I've uploaded my first revision of the book available to download for free (uncompressed and compressed versions to download) containing 5 new pages, over 40 corrections and over 40 new images.

Thanks to Leo for most of these suggestions, I'll maybe do the Amiga screenshots in a later update.

You can get it on my blog; (uncompressed and compressed versions to download)

https://jaysretro.blogspot.co.uk/p/books.html

And too Issuu (compressed only to view online)

https://issuu.com/amigajay

Offline Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 12:38:20 AM »
With this you forced me to update WinRAR (I was unable to extract archive) but doesn't matter.
Now, I must ask one question, is it deliberate that this pdf does not open on page 1?
Old one starts at page 2, and new one at page 3. When I look the book at issuu it starts normally on page 1.

Offline jaycee900

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 06:59:48 AM »
With this you forced me to update WinRAR (I was unable to extract archive) but doesn't matter.
Now, I must ask one question, is it deliberate that this pdf does not open on page 1?
Old one starts at page 2, and new one at page 3. When I look the book at issuu it starts normally on page 1.
Yeah sorry about that, my winrar was updated a while back. The extra page was added so Issuu displayed the correct two page opening display, i can of course change this back for the uncompressed version.

Offline Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 01:39:06 PM »
I'm not complaining about added page, I just asking why pdf doesn't start at page one.

And still, on the page 43 mistake about Atari ST version. As I said, there is version with all the levels, including special ones (with the special music).

See here two of them:
Menacing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sz2weZ-nPk&t=47m29s
Beast of a level
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P7P2usDUYI&t=38m16s

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2018, 07:17:30 PM »
Thank you very much for the updated book! :thumbsup:

For the next revision of the book, I'll provide you with (MUCH!) better, more recent, and more accurate, screenshots of the Android game (page 287).
I can also confirm that the game works well on Android tablets and smartphones (interesting thing: initially, the main target devices were tablets ; but, now I better enjoy playing the game on smartphones' smaller screens :)). And I can confirm there will be no multiplayer option. With these pieces of info, you'll be able to update the game's description.
I work on the game + the level-editor, almost every week.

- is it possible to buy the physical version of your Amiga book? If yes, where? Thank you.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2018, 02:06:30 PM »
You might pay for what? Physical book or PDF? Or you want the physical book for 10 pounds? It wasn't 10, as Flopys said, it was 35.
I might buy the pdf for £10. I would pay up to €50,- for the physical book.
But I see now the pdf is free?!? :o

Offline Shrung

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2018, 09:25:06 PM »
I have to say thank you, because this book just introduced me to the Lemmings SFX record. :thumbsup:

Offline Tiduas

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel with a focus on Retro and Indie titles.
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2018, 10:34:01 AM »
You are one madman Jaycee900 for releasing this book for free! I have just gave it a quick glimpse for the first time and it seems like a really fun read. It's a shame I missed the physical print though since I would have had this book just to be able to look at the images alone in a physical format. Amazing work! All the corrections found by Leo was really good work as well, not bad.
YouTube channel about retro and indie games.
https://www.youtube.com/@Teedyan

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2018, 07:09:12 PM »
Is 'ant office' a thing or did you or Russel Kay make a typing error at the beginning of the interview? :P I started reading the book, and I am impressed by what seems to be in store!
Edit: There are more small mistakes (but I'm really enjoying reading this so far!), shall I keep track of them? That wouldn't be much of an effort for me, but if you are sure you won't ever make another update I won't bother. :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 07:17:23 PM by 607 »

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2018, 11:34:53 AM »
"The fast forward (FWD) function is mis-leading, it just skips to the
end of the time, instead of FWD the action like in Lemmings 2."
Note: I am pretty sure this is only if you're playing on a very fast pc (for the 90's standards). I believe it just makes it run it as quickly as possible; probably not too good of a decision, but on the machines of the time, I recall it being at such a speed that you could stop it at the right time. :)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2018, 06:15:33 PM »
Yeah, if that was about Windows Lemmings, I seem to either remember or heard from someone that it worked properly back at the time it was released, when PCs were much slower.

Perhaps with some sort of virtual machine setup, it might be possible to artificially recreate the slowness today and verify the speed of the FWD.

Offline manic23

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2019, 12:02:19 PM »
Any chance of re uploading the updated version? Your link does not work, says blog not found. I missed this last year. I bought your book but would love to get hold of the updated PDF version, many thanks.

It's the high res version I'd like. Anyone prepared to share?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 02:06:13 PM by manic23 »