Author Topic: How do I create difficulty rank graphics for the title screen?  (Read 1937 times)

Offline Shmoley

• View Profile
I’m wondering how people create graphics for the difficulty ranks on the title screen of their pack.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How do I create difficulty rank graphics for the title screen?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 06:59:49 PM »
I’m wondering how people create graphics for the difficulty ranks on the title screen of their pack.

For that I would recommend looking into the levels folder of NeoLemmix and take a look on how packs with those mentioned signs are structured. Also take a look at the graphics dimensions!

After creating the nessesary graphics mimic those packs and you should be good to go.

Your 2 options of puting the pack together are: Using the packtoolkit that comes with NeoLemmix, or mimic the other packs and creating the nessesary stuff by hand (a bit more advanced though).

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 12:14:51 AM »
Each pack in the new format has a folder in the levels folder, inside this folder there is a folder for each rank inside the pack.

You can use MS Paint and make a 73x28 image if you just want the graphic size for the default title screen.
Simply save this image as "rank_graphic" inside the corresponding rank folder.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 12:18:36 PM »
I'm creating those with an ancient version of Adobe Photoshop (7.0). That way I find it easer to layer things on top of each other, add drop-shadows or outlines, make layers invisible again etc. Don't know to what extent such things can be done with a modern version of Paint.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 08:18:04 PM »
Simply save this image as "rank_graphic" inside the corresponding rank folder.

It needs to specifically be "rank_graphic.png". (Eg. "rank_bitmap.bmp", which Paint would default to, won't work.)

I'm creating those with an ancient version of Adobe Photoshop (7.0). That way I find it easer to layer things on top of each other, add drop-shadows or outlines, make layers invisible again etc. Don't know to what extent such things can be done with a modern version of Paint.

As far as I know, even the newest version of Paint doesn't have layer support. However, Paint.NET is free, very simple (compared to Photoshop or GIMP), and supports layers. It's what I use for all my Lemmings graphics work.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Shmoley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 02:03:16 AM »
Created the Learning graphic! I just did it on this app called 3d paint on windows 10. Next is Simple