Author Topic: NeoLemmix V12.4 - stable new-formats release  (Read 21243 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
NeoLemmix V12.4 - stable new-formats release
« on: January 21, 2018, 02:18:23 PM »
After about 5 months of testing, I think the new-formats version of NeoLemmix is ready to be released as a stable player.

If you not yet have a new-formats player, then please download the attached installer (version 1.1), make sure you have internet connection and run the installer. It will download the main game (in the version available on the NeoLemmix homepage), editor and styles together with a few example level packs.
Alternatively you can download the same stuff directly here:
- The player, editor, ...: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p9a6iewz4841039/NeoLemmix_Full_2018-10-21.zip?dl=1
- All the new styles: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rzea4tapto1kr72/styles_2018-10-21.zip?dl=1
This contains NeoLemmix V12.4, the Editor V1.11, the Pack Toolit V1.6 and the GraphicsTool V1.3. It no longer contains the conversion tools for old styles and level packs. If you need them, they are still available on the NeoLemmix homepage.

There are still some missing features and originally I wanted to implement at least some of them before the first stable release, but sometimes there is a slighty difference between wish and reality. The main ones are:
1) No automatic download of missing graphic styles, but you have an installer instead, that automatically download them.
2) No shimmier and no jumper skill yet.
3) No exits with resticted number of lemmings allowed to enter.
4) No terrain piece grouping for level creators.

EDIT 2018-10-21: The links in this first post now point to the latest version again.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 05:11:06 PM by Nepster »

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: NeoLemmix V12.0.0 - stable new-formats release
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 03:59:43 PM »
IchoTolot found a critical teleporter bug. This should be fixed in the attached version 12.0.1. I will update the first post in a moment.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: NeoLemmix V12.1.0 - stable new-formats release
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 01:11:49 PM »
Here is another update to NeoLemmix, now version 12.1.0.

For a full new start, please download:
- The player, editor, etc...: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4uw6zqwy45yjxx/NeoLemmix_Full_2018-02-18.zip?dl=1
- All the styles: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7kl2dyfdyx460zd/styles_2018-02-18.zip?dl=1

If you just want to upgrade from version 12.0.0 or 12.0.1, then download the attachement.

New features:
- Lots of new styles by Flopsy, GigaLem, Proxima, SQron and others.
- Hatches and preplaced lemmings display helper icons during the first two seconds of the game.
- Custom panel sprites are now properly loaded.
- Fixed bug: Trigger point of flipped receivers was off by 1 pixel.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 07:05:42 PM by Nepster »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 04:10:51 PM »
Thanks Nepster! :thumbsup: Also big thanks to Wafflem for his work on converting my styles.

However, there is a caveat -- I need to do some modifications to the Minesweeper style before I consider it ready for inclusion in NeoLemmix. So please don't use this style until further notice, as levels created with the current version may break.

EDIT: Nepster has removed this style from the download. Thank you 8-) I'll set aside time to fix this style so it can be released as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 07:15:52 PM by Proxima »

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 10:03:47 PM »
Ray_spooky in the styles download has pretty much the whole tileset missing apart from 2 objects.

I had to redeem this tileset from the Lemmings Halloween 2017 pack download for the MegSEGAbytes level using this tileset.

I'm reporting this in case it's a genuine mistake :)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 10:38:42 PM »
One thing:

Before the first 2 links with

-  The player, editor
-  All the new styles

There should first be a link where everything is included: player, editor + styles

That would lead to new users getting these with their first download, even when that download is a lot bigger then.

It happened very often until now that I heard someone getting errors that was caused by simply missing the styles download. Of course the user thinks he/she only needs player and editor!

So: all-in-one download first for the everyday user, after that the pieces for the ones that know exactly what they need.

This also goes for the website of course. ;)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 09:30:34 PM »
<Nepster> I can see where you are coming from, but there are two problems:
<Nepster> 1) Now it's easier for me to update the styles pack, even if there are no other changes in the player, editor, ...

If that is any easier at all, your deploy needs better automation. :lix-glare:

<Nepster> 2) People can download the styles pack and only extract some of the styles, which speeds up the installation.

The first answer to this is that 2) is not a counter-argument to the all-in-one download; it's unrelated. The all-in-one would be the union of everything that people are now instructed to download separately. Both the all-in-one archive and the separate style archive would allow to extract only some styles.

The second answer is that error prevention comes first, performance second. You silently lose newbies with easy fatal errors. Make the all-in-one. A big point of loose files is that you can compose an archive that plays some levels and can edit some levels. It needn't be all styles.

The third answer is that your concern dovetails into dependency management design (that issue almost arose in the topic about the bloated music directory). This is very interesting and I'm looking forward to how you solve it long-term.

-- Simon

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 02:17:30 PM »
From Lemmini Reunion:

Quote from: chrisleec728
Unfortunately I haven't used NeoLemmix in a little while because the more recent update made it WAY more complicated than it used to be.

Lemmini is 1. download engine, 2. download pack. (Optional: Have your files eaten, but let's be generous and not count this as a downside that could scare away newbies because eating files happens after you were able to play once.)

If NL is any more complicated than 1. download engine, 2. download pack, something has gone horribly wrong. This is as high as anybody is willing to jump to enter the culture. As long as the tiles don't come automatically, you must ship them with the main download.

And the NL homepage (page! not site!) needs one big friendly large green button that you can click and get everything.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 02:27:27 PM by Simon »

Offline chrisleec728

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 10:56:32 PM »
I mean, I suppose I could figure it out eventually if I knew exactly which questions to ask and how to phrase them. I just figured perhaps I was just an idiot when it came to these things (which would most likely be my own fault).

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 02:59:30 PM »
Yeah, I totally know that the current situation is far from ideal. But unfortunately I am already struggling with keeping up on the bug fixes and therefore don't have time to implement such really important features like auto-downloading styles.
At the moment I am cobbling together a small installer that will download the two zip files from the NeoLemmix homepage and extracts them on your computer. That will hopefully be far faster than implementing the auto-downloading feature in the NeoLemmix player.

Offline tor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 11:28:34 AM »
My NeoLemmix Player displays V12.01.00 instead of V12.1.0, even after downloading the latest version.
Windows 10 Enterprise 1909 (64-bit)
Java version 8 update 251 (64-bit)
SuperLemmini 0.104a
NeoLemmix Player V12.8.2

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 04:02:12 PM »
My NeoLemmix Player displays V12.01.00 instead of V12.1.0, even after downloading the latest version.

This is fine, there isn't really a difference between those version numbers.

.1 and .01 are the same because we would usually denote the difference between .1 and .10 if that were the case.

Don't worry I can assure you that despite that numbering you have the latest version :)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: NeoLemmix V12.2.0 - stable new-formats release
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 04:02:29 PM »
After almost two months it is time for another NeoLemmix update.

To ugrade from the version 12.1.0 (2018-02-18):
Delete the style "arty_underwater" (to replace with the up-to-date version), download the attached upgrade zip file and extract it over your existing NeoLemmix folder.

Changes:
NeoLemmix installer V1.0
This installer simplifies setting up the game: It downloads the game, editor, ... together with all the styles from the NeoLemmix homepage and extracts them into the proper folders. It also downloads some packs: DoveLems, PimoLems, Lemmings Reunion, Deceit's Lemmings and NepsterLems.
Interestingly using the installer is a lot faster than manually extracting everything. On my computer is finishes after three minutes of heavy work.
If someone wants to have their pack added to the auto-download in the installer, please contact me. The only requirement is to have a fixed url where to download the pack from: Either on some homepage (like the NeoLemmix homepage) or on dropbox. Just having a forum attachment is much discouraged, because updating the attachment will almost certainly change the url and thus break the installation.

NeoLemmix player V12.2.0
- Fixed bug: Rotated one-way-walls now use the correct game physics.
- Fixed bug: Disallow overlapping preplaced blockers.

Styles:
- Full update of arty_underwater
- New style arty_silhouette
- Modified LemPlus styles created by GigaLem
- Many new styles by Johannes (Droidlings), juanjo and Plom

NeoLemmix editor V1.8
- Improved copy&paste using now the clipboard. This allows copying stuff from one level to another one, even in a second editor.
- Piece selection can be moved with the mouse wheel, if the cursor is on the lower part of the editor.
- Added piece sizes to the tooltip at the piece selection.
- Fixed bug: Postview texts are now saved correctly.
- Fixed bug: Rotated gadget sizes are now loaded correctly.

Pack toolkit V1.4
- Added buttons to move levels up/down a rank.
- Custom sprite images change when scrolling up and down the combo-box.
- Saving custom panels is now possible.
- Fixed major bug: Saving twice now does not eat your files any more.
- Fixed bug: Removed talisman ID collisions.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 10:25:01 PM »
If someone wants to have their pack added to the auto-download in the installer, please contact me.

NeoLemmix Introduction Pack and Lemmings Redux should be included IMO. Probably also at least one pack that makes use of NeoLemmix features; Lemmings Plus Omega may be a good candidate, as it uses most (not quite all) of the features but isn't overly hard for the most part.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 04:00:55 PM »
NeoLemmix Introduction Pack: Last info I had was, that Nessy is working on it, but it is far from finished. At least the new-formats version is...
Lemmings Redux: I asked Proxima yesterday, and he said that it still needs work - at least it needs to be converted to new-formats.
LemPlus packs: I wasn't sure whether any of exists as a stable new-formats version yet. If they do, please tell me (possibly specifying which ones) and I will include them in the auto-download.