Author Topic: Simon speedruns Jazz Jackrabbit 1  (Read 26272 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Simon speedruns Jazz Jackrabbit 1
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2017, 11:00:22 AM »
Thanks!

Half a year earlier, I believed that the Fox run would be too volatile to show in a Marathon. And it is still volatile, there is a risk of not finishing, but it's become small enough to try. I'm really happy how it turned out.

Links to the Marathon runs: Jazz in 29:13, Fox in 17:53, both in German commentary. No record times, but with explanations for new viewers.

Re need to swivel on spikes in Jazz: There are two methods to avoid damage: Accelerate on spikes, or hit the blind pixels where the hitbox doesn't seem to exist. Still, I should investigate this once more.

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2017, 11:44:36 PM »
Re need to swivel on spikes in Jazz: There are two methods to avoid damage: Accelerate on spikes, or hit the blind pixels where the hitbox doesn't seem to exist. Still, I should investigate this once more.

Simon, you can just leave the jump key pressed and Jazz jumps on the spikes without taking damage (unless you hit the sides of the spikes). Just try it with the first spikes at the beginning of Medievo 1.
Edit: Damage seems to occur sometimes as well if you press an arrow key while hitting the spikes or something the like. (Is it because of the speed or the angle you hit the spikes in this case or that it keeps you longer on the spikes?)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 01:03:23 AM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2017, 04:34:01 AM »
leave the jump key pressed and Jazz jumps on the spikes without taking damage

Confirmed on the spikes in Medivo, Pezrock, and Crysilis. Thanks! When we don't move sideways, or when we move sideways only slowly, we avoid all damage, independent of our horiziontal position. Only after you release jump, you take damage.

The swivelling trick (= push opposite direction as you land on the spikes to avoid damage) is merely a corollary from your finding. By swivelling, we reduce horizontal speed and then build it again after jumping off the spikes.

I don't know why fast horizontal movement affects this; but indeed we take damage if we move fast.

unless you hit the sides of the spikes

Sides of floors in Jazz aren't perfect corners, they're rounded corners. Jazz can stand lower, almost within the tile, on the edges of platforms. If you take damage here from spikes despite jump buffering, it's because you sink further into the tile, overlapping with the damage trigger area.

The cacti in Turtemple are different: Their damage trigger area is larger than the solid part of the tile. You can never stand on these even with jump buffering.

-- Simon

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2017, 12:33:58 PM »
I will run Jazz in the Shots Fired marathon tonight, with English commentary. The run starts around 17:00 UTC, that's 4.5 hours from now.

Schedule: https://horaro.org/shotsfired5/schedule
Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/shotsfiredmarathon

-- Simon

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2017, 02:39:21 PM »
Good luck! I can't be there this time, work starts at 1800.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2017, 07:59:52 AM »
Well, I stumbled across these on Youtube and I wondered if Simon knows that these episodes exist:

Jazz Jackrabbit I Holiday Hare episodes 1994/1995:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNUGVO22tLc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGAJojrCrAs

I don't know if these are already old news to you or not. ;P      If not then I guess have fun Speedrunning!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2017, 09:23:24 AM »
Yes, I've already known these. Both were released as standalone shareware, and HH94 was later included in the Jazz 1.3 CD release.

I have played these casually last year, but have never routed them, and I don't have recorded runs of these. There is a TAS of HH94 and a TAS of HH95, both by Ilari, one of the 3 tool-assisted speedrunners of Jazz 1-6 and A-C.

If somebody else wants to run either Holiday Hare: Feel free to show me your attempts, I'll happily give feedback on the route and work with you.

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2017, 09:19:12 AM »
I've just played casually blind through HH94 on easy. That last level was quite confusing and scary with our beloved friends the hands (at least you can get rid of them). Apart from that health seems to be scarce in this episode (therefore you get a lot of RF-missiles) and everything felt quite slippery.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 09:34:29 AM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2018, 01:47:07 AM »
This weekend (February 17 and 18), I was in Zoetermeer, Netherlands, at the Jazz exhibition of the National Video Game Muesum.

I speedran Jazz 1 with marathon commentary for a live audience of 20 to 30 people, about a third of them from the Jazz 2 online community.
Photo 1
Photo 2
Group photo with the Jazz 2 community, I'm 2nd from the left

I ran E1-6, then A-C even though I didn't practice that, then showed Deserto on Turbo. E1-6 was the main attraction, people liked the commentary while running. Missed Technoir spring 3 times and resorted to the full 10-second wait on the spring cycle. Didn't get Dreempipes 2 TAS mine boost into the pipe. Everything else went smoothly. We didn't time it, I would expect it to be 29:00.

The museum is a collection of arcade machines. For an entrance fee, you get to play all arcade machines for free. The owner even built a machine himself, by hiding a Windows computer, keyboard, and mouse in a cabinet, and only exposing screen, joystick, and buttons:
Jazz 2 arcade

I've met 607 (Lemmings Forums member) and we played In The Groove 2, a rhythm/dancing game, on a dedicated cabinet. I played these games 10 years ago on home pads at my parents' house, during my late high school years. Back then, I managed 9s and occasionally very easy 10s, but after this much time, even the 7s and 8s were hard. Still, surprising how much of the pattern recognition was still fresh in my mind.

-- Simon

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2018, 02:08:15 AM »
I still don't know much of anything about Jazz Jackrabbit apart from what I've picked up from you, but I do enjoy DDR/ITG. 7-9 difficulty is about the highest I can pass, I think.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2018, 06:52:49 PM »
This weekend (February 17 and 18), I was in Zoetermeer, Netherlands, at the Jazz exhibition of the National Video Game Muesum.

I speedran Jazz 1 with marathon commentary for a live audience of 20 to 30 people, about a third of them from the Jazz 2 online community.
Photo 1
Photo 2
Group photo with the Jazz 2 community, I'm 2nd from the left

I ran E1-6, then A-C even though I didn't practice that, then showed Deserto on Turbo. E1-6 was the main attraction, people liked the commentary while running. Missed Technoir spring 3 times and resorted to the full 10-second wait on the spring cycle. Didn't get Dreempipes 2 TAS mine boost into the pipe. Everything else went smoothly. We didn't time it, I would expect it to be 29:00.

The museum is a collection of arcade machines. For an entrance fee, you get to play all arcade machines for free. The owner even built a machine himself, by hiding a Windows computer, keyboard, and mouse in a cabinet, and only exposing screen, joystick, and buttons:
Jazz 2 arcade

I've met 607 (Lemmings Forums member) and we played In The Groove 2, a rhythm/dancing game, on a dedicated cabinet. I played these games 10 years ago on home pads at my parents' house, during my late high school years. Back then, I managed 9s and occasionally very easy 10s, but after this much time, even the 7s and 8s were hard. Still, surprising how much of the pattern recognition was still fresh in my mind.

-- Simon
This was a lot of fun! :D
I was wondering where you had learnt to play DDR/ITG. I really enjoyed it, and I wish I could play more... :P There do seem to be some arcades in Utrecht, which is fairly close to where I live, but I can't use public transit for free yet. I read some topics online, and it sounds like playing at home is either very expensive or not of high enough quality. I also don't have any Playstation consoles, and the GameCube DDR (Mario Mix) seems to be tailored to beginners.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2018, 11:34:39 PM »
I wonder if you were the champion 607 or Simon was the champion at the (In the groove 2).

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2018, 12:56:00 PM »
I wonder if you were the champion 607 or Simon was the champion at the (In the groove 2).
Simon played one or two difficulties higher than I did on every track, as I hadn't ever played the game before. ;) I did learn quickly, though, I think!