Author Topic: [NeoLemmix]A Master Degree in Lemmings  (Read 12156 times)

Offline Duuddu

• View Profile
[NeoLemmix]A Master Degree in Lemmings
« on: January 12, 2018, 04:02:13 AM »
This level pack have 3 ranks, each rank with 13 levels. This level pack use almost all elements of NeoLemmix.
Ranks:
Learning : Here you will learn a lot of tools of NeoLemmix, and will be introduced to use your brain. Difficulty: Fun/Tricky-
Studying : Here you start to use new techniques and the levels needs your brain.  Difficulty: Tricky-/Mayhem
Teaching: Here I'll not explain to you because you'll give up- Difficulty: Mayhem+
This is my first level pack, please give me a feedback, so I can improve the next ones.
Notes: I've did some modifications at some levels.
If you already downloaded it, download again to see the new modifications.
-The trap of the level 8 of rank Studying was not working, I solved it.
-The ranks signs has been changed.
-Some levels were facilitade and other were hampered.
-Now each rank have 13 levels.
-The level order has been changed.
Level changes:
-Level 12/rank 3 (It's hard-working) was deleted and I put a new level (It's becoming easy - level 6/rank 3)
-Level 7/rank 3 (Time is up!) have some changes.
-Level 11/ rank 3 (The Fall) have some changes.
-Level 8/rank 3 (Hell in Earth) have some changes.
-Level 11/rank 2 (Not hard at all) have some changes.
Version 1.0
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:10:42 PM by Duuddu »

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix]A Master Degree in Lemmings
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 09:17:52 PM »
I'll have an LP recorded for this pack soon and I will upload it to my channel to play on Saturdays from 3rd February :)

Looking forward to it :)

Offline Duuddu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 10:01:22 PM »
I'm waiting anxious your vĂ­deos :D

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 02:32:57 AM »
I was surprised at how hard this got, I had to give up on 2-11 (Normal Level) and only put the time into solving a few others after that. I have a notorious dislike of hard levels, but there are plenty of others who are better than me to review the hard ones.
Early levels are nice but a few things seemed strange. The save requirements are so lenient that half the time I could ignore most of the stuff in the level and still finish it. There's also a lot of stairs. Too many stairs. I know that builders are easily the most used skill in the original game but man there's so many stairs. I'm wondering if you're secretly a design genius and this is a troll pack in disguise, or... :devil:
I'd say of all the levels that I did end up solving I liked 3-3 (Royal road to the Hell) the most. Looks good, nice solution. Kept me guessing for a while but not too long.
I attached replays. Hopefully you can get them to work; replays can offer better feedback than words can sometimes.

Offline Duuddu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 06:26:59 AM »
Thank you by the feedback, I saw the replays... I put a lot of stairs and a idiot requirement at the Learning and some Studying levels because I did it thinking in someone that never played this game before (I know that doesn't exist at this forum, but I did). But now, the next level pack I'll focus in the users of the forum and in will be more "cool". (And I didn't a genius of design haha)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 06:33:54 AM »
I'll make sure I download the most recent version of the nxp prior to starting my LP, I'm not sure when I'll start it yet but I'll give it a few more days in case you have any more updates planned after more potential feedback and replays :)

Offline Duuddu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 12:26:57 PM »
Okay, I'm analyzing the replays and I think If I change de order of some levels.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 08:46:05 AM »
My LP has started now and I've made it all the way to Teaching 5. The difficulty spike for me came at the end of the Studying rank, the last few levels were obscenely difficult.

I did solve that single Hell level as well before starting the pack itself :)

The first few levels of Teaching were super precise levels. Teaching 5 currently has me stumped at the moment, luckily I have a long time until the videos catch up to this point since there are is nearly 2 hours of footage which will be about 8 videos so far. Hopefully I can beat this level by then!

Overall, I'm really impressed with the levels, some really hard levels in this pack (and I haven't even seen Teaching 6-13 yet!) and I'm really suggesting the more veteran solvers on this forum should come and give this pack a look.

I do agree with nintendoadict on the overuse of builders a bit but there are some levels which use them really well I feel.

Really good pack from what I've seen so far, it starts out really easy and then suddenly out of nowhere the difficulty comes and bites you!

EDIT: I've just found out the sound has messed up in the recording so the videos are going to have no sound but will still have commentary. This is getting annoying now, it happened on the LPIII Talisman recordings too so it might be due to recording for long periods of time. I'll test this out.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 09:07:56 AM by Flopsy »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 05:15:48 PM »
Here are my solutions to all the levels 8-)    - send me my master degree please :XD:

Some really good levels in there! :thumbsup:

In depth feedback to each level will be written on another day from me (too lazy right now after solving ;P). The total time I needed to solve everything was ~ 1 hours and 50 minutes.

One general thing I want to point ot that ~ 80% of the time limits can be thrown out. A 20min timer or one that only forces you to speed up things slightly (like releasing the crowd earlier) in a 4min long level are not really useful and only create unnessesary frustraition while adding no real difficulty.
Time crunchers like in your ~ 1min levels are totally ok to have a timer though.

Also often you could shorten a 5-8 builder gap to a 1-2 builder gap. Long gaps without a point just drag out the levels unnessesarily. A bit more decoration couldn't hurt either. ;)

But as I said in depth feedback will follow soon. :)

Great job on the pack again! :thumbsup:

Offline Duuddu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 09:53:24 PM »
Thank you by the feedback! I did some modifications at some levels :D.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 10:01:45 PM »

Could you post details either in a new or the first post? It will be easier to check out the changes and give additional feedback once I come back to it. Like rank 2 level 5 has this and this changed.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 10:05:11 PM »
EDIT: I've just found out the sound has messed up in the recording so the videos are going to have no sound but will still have commentary. This is getting annoying now, it happened on the LPIII Talisman recordings too so it might be due to recording for long periods of time. I'll test this out.

I noticed this happened on my old computer (not an issue on my new one, but then, my new computer is pretty powerful) if I was running too many other things at the same time as trying to record. Firefox in particular was a problem-causer. It's a good idea to close everything you don't need running when recording, it might help. You could also try lowering the recording quality and/or resolution - anything beyond 1280x720 for resolution is kind of overkill for Lemmings videos anyway, and 128kbps mono is probably more than enough for audio.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Duuddu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 02:47:05 AM »

Could you post details either in a new or the first post? It will be easier to check out the changes and give additional feedback once I come back to it. Like rank 2 level 5 has this and this changed.
okay, i did it :D. I recommend you to daowload again to have sure that you are with the latest version of the game. :D

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 08:19:26 PM »
Attached is my now updated replay collection.

And here is the promised feedback ;):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All in all a nice first pack! :thumbsup:

Offline Duuddu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 09:32:10 PM »
    Thank you by the feedback, I'm working in a harder level pack because this looks easy for you :D. but about the decoration I trying to improve, downloading level packs and inspiring in them.
     About the level 02 13 and 03 13 this have another solutions, to the people that doesn't know this trick.