Author Topic: New Format Music Question  (Read 6678 times)

Offline Yung Gotenks

• View Profile
New Format Music Question
« on: December 24, 2017, 06:51:28 PM »
If i go in the data folder and add a line in the music.nxmi file with the TRACK *filename* and everything, will that track be in the standard rotation of music too?

My Packs:
Yung's First Level Pack: A pack with 15 levels. Basic knowledge of the new NeoLemmix skills is required.
http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=3362.0
The Hell Pack: Every level is hell themed. Basic knowledge of the new NeoLemmix Skills is required.
https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=3551.msg67577#msg67577

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: New Format Music Question
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 10:55:27 PM »
That was covered in my tutorial video and basically, you can modify the files in any way you want within reason. You can add or remove lines if it's repeating stuff like in the music file you mentioned.

This is one reason why the new format is going to be ultimately the better format because there is so much customisation which can be possible.

To answer your question, yes I believe you should be able to do that.

Offline Yung Gotenks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 05:26:05 AM »
well that's weird becuase none of my custom tunes have played yet and i have alot of them.

My Packs:
Yung's First Level Pack: A pack with 15 levels. Basic knowledge of the new NeoLemmix skills is required.
The Hell Pack: Every level is hell themed. Basic knowledge of the new NeoLemmix Skills is required.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 05:48:11 PM »
The cause might be, that many level packs specify their own music rotation. If you want your music rotation as specified in your data folder for all and every pack, then delete all the music.nxmi files that are in your level pack folders inside the directory "levels".
Alternatively you can modify all the pack specific music rotation files, of course.

Offline Yung Gotenks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 11:06:26 PM »
The cause might be, that many level packs specify their own music rotation. If you want your music rotation as specified in your data folder for all and every pack, then delete all the music.nxmi files that are in your level pack folders inside the directory "levels".
Alternatively you can modify all the pack specific music rotation files, of course.

Oh thaaat's why! Thanks a bunch, Nepster.

My Packs:

Offline chrisleec728

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 11:32:43 PM »
I'm trying to customize one specific level pack. Only two (of the six tracks) will play and the second keeps repeating until probably the seventh level. I've tried changing the format but that doesn't work. (I'm using iTunes tracks.)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 08:03:06 AM »
I'm trying to customize one specific level pack. Only two (of the six tracks) will play and the second keeps repeating until probably the seventh level. I've tried changing the format but that doesn't work. (I'm using iTunes tracks.)

- Are you trying to: 1.) adapt your standard music rotation or  2.) do you specifically want to change the music of certain levels?

- For 2.): Did you put all the needed tracks in the music folder?

- For 2.): Does each level has the correct track specified in the editor and is the right level version with the specified track used in the pack?

- For both: What exact format are the tracks? "iTunes tracks" doesn't sound any bell for me. Are these mp3s, OGGs....?

- For 1.): Has the track a weird custom rotation specified where it only uses the first 2 standard tracks?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 09:26:04 PM »
NeoLemmix will first load the music.nxmi file in a pack's directory (note that on a technical level, a rank counts as just a sub-pack of the main pack - so each rank can even have its own music.nxmi file, if I remember correctly. If there's none for the individual rank, it'll use the one for the pack as a whole). If there isn't one, it instead uses the one in the "data" directory. This is assuming the individual level doesn't specify a music; if it does, that overrides everything else, although it will fall back on the rotation if the level's specified music is not found. Theoretically if the rotation is an empty list or the music from that isn't found either, it should play no music, but currently there's a bug where it instead uses the music from the last level you played.

Music filenames in music.nxmi (or a level) can contain path info (bug: the editor and pack toolkit do not preserve path names, so this needs to be done by hand in the raw files; NeoLemmix itself handles it fine though) relative to "music". For example, see Lemmings Plus III, where all musics are in a "Lemmings_Plus_III" subfolder of music, so it'd be specified as eg "Lemmings_Plus_III/bam4". However, they should not contain an extension - ie: "track_01" is correct, "track_01.ogg" or "track_01.it" is not (currently NeoLemmix will just ignore the extension specified anyway, but proper use is to not include it at all). NeoLemmix automatically tries all supported extensions. I don't remember the exact order, but I do remember that OGG is highest priority, and all sample-based formats (OGG, WAV, etc) are higher-priority than module-based formats (IT, MOD, XM, etc). Note that while most common formats are supported, two common ones that are not are M4A (which might be what you mean by iTunes format?) and MIDI. Additionally, while supported, MP3 is not recommended - I always recommended, and I suspect this still holds, using either OGG or a module-based format.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline chrisleec728

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 10:39:51 PM »
In answer to IchoTolot's questions, I am trying to customize the standard rotation for an entire pack (mainly as a test). The tracks I'm using are MP3 format by default (I don't know whether that's the same thing as the M4A that namida mentioned). I've been experimenting with changing the format to either OGG or IT, but that doesn't seem to make a difference (that is, all three formats seem to have the exact same effect).

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 11:22:49 PM »
In answer to IchoTolot's questions, I am trying to customize the standard rotation for an entire pack (mainly as a test). The tracks I'm using are MP3 format by default (I don't know whether that's the same thing as the M4A that namida mentioned). I've been experimenting with changing the format to either OGG or IT, but that doesn't seem to make a difference (that is, all three formats seem to have the exact same effect).

mp3 format is ok.

To change the standard rotation tracks: Name the new tracks "orig_XX" or "ohno_XX"       XX stands for a number like 01      orig goes until 17     ohno goes until 06

If a pack has no custom tracks the default rotation of the pack will be played.

If the pack's custom tracks are missing the default rotation of the pack will be played.

Most packs should have the default "orig_XX" and "ohno_XX" rotation as standard. They mostly use custom tracks, but as I said: If the pack's custom tracks are missing the default rotation of the pack will be played.

The pack's standard rotation can be edited with the pack toolkit.

Offline chrisleec728

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 11:36:21 PM »
Yeah, the pack that I've been playing with is Lemmings Plus I which already uses "orig_01" through "orig_17"...so I've actually been working more the other direction. However, I haven't been using the pack toolkit up to now, so that may explain my problems. Still though, I have been hearing at least two of the tracks, so I must have been doing at least something right to a point.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 07:29:00 AM »
Yeah, the pack that I've been playing with is Lemmings Plus I which already uses "orig_01" through "orig_17"...so I've actually been working more the other direction. However, I haven't been using the pack toolkit up to now, so that may explain my problems. Still though, I have been hearing at least two of the tracks, so I must have been doing at least something right to a point.

Normally then simply replacing the "orig_01" through "orig_17" tracks with your music should work. Editing the pack's rotation shouldn't be nessesary.

namida, did you enforce custom tracks in LP1 in any way? ???  If yes then these tracks need to be romoved first before your custom rotation can play.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 08:09:11 AM »
namida, did you enforce custom tracks in LP1 in any way? ???  If yes then these tracks need to be romoved first before your custom rotation can play.

No, it just has the standard music.nxmi, no levels specify a music file individually. The same is also true for Lemmings Plus II and Holiday Lemmings Plus. (Lemmings Plus III, Lemmings Plus Omega and Doomsday Lemmings specify tracks on a few levels while using music.nxmi for most of them, while Lemmings Plus IV, Lemmings Plus V and Lemmings Plus Omega II specify music for each level individually.)

With that being said, it does use a non-standard music.nxmi - specifically, it only includes tracks orig_01 through orig_17 (doesn't include the ohno tracks). Similarly, Lemmings Plus II only has the ohno tracks. Holiday Lemmings Plus has completely custom tracks, but still uses only music.nxmi to determine which level plays which track.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 04:20:14 PM »
The PackToolkit does not yet support changing the default rotation for music files, just the addition of custom music files.

And as namida said: If you want to change the default music rotation, you have to add a file music.nxmi next to your info.nxmi file. It is a usual text file (just has a weird file extension ;)). Each line has the form "TRACK [name]" where "[name]" is the file name of the music file. Then the music rotation is given by the order the music files appear in this music.nxmi file.
Look at namida's LemPlus packs for an example how this is done.

Offline chrisleec728

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 09:34:06 PM »
Ok so are you saying that there are basically certain levels where I can't control the music to them (the last level in the "Doomsday" pack, for example)?

Also, I've come to the conclusion that there must have been something wrong with the Itunes tracks that I used in the past (though I can't imagine what, and incidentally I've decided that I don't want to use that music anymore either way). I more recently used music tracks that I downloaded from online and they've been working pretty much exactly the way I wanted them to.