Author Topic: Family Feud 2018  (Read 51092 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Family Feud 2018
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2018, 08:46:46 AM »
Quizzy McQuizface (0.33 pt) -- Crane

I was actually very tempted to give this answer, but thought no one else would. O_O
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2018, 09:44:54 AM »
August 24 round:

#3: Average number of skills per level - 10-20 it's probably most often, 15 seems good but for Feud purposes I answered an even number there, 20.
#9: Tautology - A really hard one.
#10: Pick-up line - The first thing that came to my mind immediately was "Let's go!" and that seemed surprisingly fitting that I didn't even bother to try to come up with anything else. :P

Previous round:

#3: Ground type Pokémon - I'm familiar with Pokémon series and Sandshrew was my initial thought, I recalled it's the first in the numbering order and I confirmed this with Google.

#4: Web browser - I've always used Firefox but still somehow think that Chrome is more popular? A good question because of the even spread answers. :P

#5: Mortal enemy of Lemmings - This is a question that's asked years ago before, but I didn't care for searching the exact Feud to look at the answers. I remember "water" winning that round back then and me answering "chameleon", but I still remained here with my previous answer again, and water end up winning yet again as well. :P Oh well.

#6: Bone - Same here, I thought skull briefly but went for thigh bone because it's really just a single bone.

#7: English palindrome - A really hard question! Nessy's "level" is pretty creative here.

#9: Perfect breakfast - I thought of answering porridge here but changed it to more "generic" answer eggs and bacon just before sending my answers. Btw, I wasn't the Feud host this time like ccx supposed in his message, but Raymanni was, that many players guessed right from the Quizmaster avatar (no Captain Viridian there, but hovering Rayman's hands there). (I still think porridge is the perfect breakfast ;) )

#10: Quizmaster avatar name - No IRC discussion here (except mobius has sometimes mentioned watching the Family Feud show once in a while), I knew that Steve Harvey is the current host of Family Feud TV show and based my answer solely on that fact, even though he wouldn't resemble Quizmaster avatar by his appearance. I was pretty surprised that there were other "Steve" answers.

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2018, 03:08:06 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore
Do you remember what the rankings would've looked like without the last second contender?
If I recall, IchoTolot was the winner before your answers. Your Google Chrome answer also made question 4 a tie. ;)

Quote from: ccexplore
"Steve" on the other hand feels like I missed something again on IRC maybe?
Steve was the most generic name that almost instantly popped into my mind. I didn't even know that there was an actual feud host named Steve.

I was surprised how many people answered mathematics in question 8. I was sure PE would win. :P

Would you like to host the next round, Axseli?

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2018, 07:47:40 PM »
Would you like to host the next round, Axseli?

Okay, I could try. I'm dry from ideas but let's see if I can come up with something. :XD:

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2018, 12:28:12 AM »
This was a fun round :)

My answer for #5 was actually inspired by the game Lemmings Revolution where the Weasels were the main antagonist. They are shown to hate the Lemmings as they even watch old movies of their misadventures and they build the actual levels in the game. A clever answer would have been "us" or "Lemmings Forums" because we are still building levels for them :devil:

My answer for #8 doesn't represent my own personal opinions. I love math and hated P.E. My answer was mostly going off of the fact that a lot of people I know are always saying they hate math.

As for #10 I was just being silly :P, but yeah Steve Harvey is the current host of American Family Feud and it probably would have been a more logical answer for me regardless.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 06, 2018, 04:08:34 AM »
I was sure PE would win. :P

Maybe different countries/places have different standards when it comes to PE in school?  I don't really remember much about PE in my school days in America (note: your mileage may vary depending on which state or even town in US, and of course standards also evolve over time), but I want to say it wasn't all that vigorous; I'm not even sure I remember how many days a week we even have PE especially by high school, I feel like maybe 2 days?  Basically at some point, if you want to do sports for real, you join an after-school team for the particular sport in question (eg. football).  I think with the low standard for PE, I'm not really sure you can actually fail it short of truancy or disobedience (and if there are justifiable medical conditions involved, your parents can probably make an arrangement with the school to excuse you from PE altogether).

I sucked at sports especially anything involving a ball, but somehow that didn't make PE a total nightmare for me during my school days.  At the same time I guess it's nice to take a break from sitting in classrooms.  I think very few if any people would say they love PE, but it didn't seem bad enough to reach the level of dread or hate.  I can imagine though that a more vigorous standard with more balls can indeed make things miserable for some.

Also, colleges here look for your scores on exams like SATs and ACTs.  Math is part of those exams, PE most definitely isn't. :P If you want to maximize your chances at a good/competitive college but have a weakness in math, you'd still have to power through it one way or another just like lots of people have to power through annoying vocabulary learning for those exams.

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 06, 2018, 02:48:11 PM »
I knew math would be the most popular answer because it's the stereotypical first response that most think of for that question. I didn't like PE though; I'd hide behind the bleachers whenever dodgeball came up.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2018, 03:34:40 PM »
Maths was and still is my favourite subject, to the point that I've been threatened with violence by friends for daring to talk about it in my adult life.  It's sad that so many people don't like it.  It's the language of the Universe.

Offline Quizmaster

• We have asked 100 people...
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 08, 2018, 10:56:49 PM »
Another round!

1. Name a time in clock hours when a dinner is eaten.
2. Name a comic series.
3. Name a geometric shape in three-dimensional space.
4. Name a board game other than chess.
5. Name a fast food restaurant other than McDonald's.
6. Name a science fiction author.
7. Name a material for a clothing.
8. Name a sports video game series.
9. Name a weather condition that makes people avoid going out.
10. In years, what is an average age for a person visiting Lemmings forums?

Make sure to send your answers to Quizmaster via PM before next Sunday the 16th of September 18:00 UTC.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 11:02:02 PM by Quizmaster »

Offline Quizmaster

• We have asked 100 people...
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2018, 09:05:33 PM »
We have the results! 13 people participated, DeadOnArrival is my sister.

1. Name a time in clock hours when a dinner is eaten.
6 pm / 18:00 (1 pt) -- IchoTolot, mobius, namida, Flopsy, Nessy, Crane, ccexplore
5 pm / 17:00 (0,57 pts) -- Akseli, SQron188, grams88, DeadOnArrival
7 pm / 19:00 (0,29 pts) -- bsmith, Simon

19:00 (Unless you're single and a student, in which case, 06:00.)

2. Name a comic series.
Spider-Man (1 pt) -- SQron188, grams88, Nessy, DeadOnArrival
Superman (0,75 pts) -- Akseli, Simon, ccexplore
Batman (0,75 pts) -- IchoTolot, namida, Flopsy
Garfield (0,25 pts) – bsmith
Peanuts (0,25 pts) -- mobius
Marvel Comics (0,25 pts) – Crane

3. Name a geometric shape in three-dimensional space.
cube (1 pt) -- bsmith, IchoTolot, SQron188, grams88, namida, Flopsy, Nessy, Simon
ball / sphere (0,50 pts) -- Akseli, Crane, DeadOnArrival, ccexplore
polygon (0,13 pts)—mobius

Cube (Sphere could be a serious contender to Cube, let's see. Point, Empty set, or All of R^3 seem like more natural answers, but not good for the feud.)

4. Name a board game other than chess.
checkers / draughts (1 pt) -- bsmith, SQron188, mobius, namida, Flopsy, Crane, DeadOnArrival, ccexplore
Monopoly (0,63 pts) -- Akseli, IchoTolot, grams88, Nessy, Simon

Monopoly (the real answer should be Go, but I feel that Go is a weak feud answer)

4) Monopoly (Actually monopoly can be a very unfair game if everyone gangs up on you, need to hear Simon's opinion on this one)

5. Name a fast food restaurant other than McDonald's.
Burger King (1 pt) -- bsmith, IchoTolot, namida, Flopsy, Nessy, Simon, Crane, ccexplore
Subway (0,25 pts) -- Akseli, grams88
KFC (0,25 pts) -- SQron188, DeadOnArrival
Dairy Queen (0,13 pts) – mobius

5. Burger King
(Surprisingly hard to guess this one!  Will talk more about it on the forums once the round is over and scored.)

6. Name a science fiction author.
Isaac Asimov (1 pts) -- IchoTolot, grams88, mobius, ccexplore
Douglas Adams (0,75 pts) -- namida, Simon, DeadOnArrival
Jules Verne (0,5 pts) -- Akseli, Flopsy
Peter Telep (0,25 pts) – bsmith
George Lucas (0,25 pts) -- SQron188
Ray Bradbury (0,25 pts) – Nessy
Arthur C. Clarke (0,25 pts) – Crane

Douglas Adams (I don't like the Hitchhiker much, but it's extremely well-known. Star Wars or Star Trek are more popular science fiction, but those are known for their shows, not books.)

7. Name a material for a clothing.
cotton (1 pt) -- Akseli, bsmith, SQron188, mobius, Flopsy, Simon, Crane, DeadOnArrival, ccexplore
wool (0,11 pts) -- IchoTolot
silk (0,11 pts) -- grams88
cloth (0,11 pts) -- namida
denim (0,11 pts)—Nessy

8. Name a sports video game series.
FIFA (1 pt) -- Akseli, IchoTolot, SQron188, grams88, Flopsy, Nessy, Simon, Crane, DeadOnArrival, ccexplore
Madden NFL (0,30 pts) -- bsmith, mobius, namida

FIFA (Quote Flopsy: People play only two video games! Call of Duty and FIFA! It sucks! Hey dude, let's come over to my place to play FIFA! Nobody ever plays anything else!)

9. Name a weather condition that makes people avoid going out.
rain (1 pt) -- Akseli, bsmith, IchoTolot, SQron188, grams88, Flopsy, Simon, Crane, DeadOnArrival, ccexplore
hurricane (0,20 pts) -- mobius, namida
thunder/lightning storm (0,10 pts) – Nessy

10. In years, what is an average age for a person visiting Lemmings forums?
25 (1 pt) -- IchoTolot, SQron188, mobius, namida, Flopsy, Nessy, Crane, DeadOnArrival
30 (0,38 pts) -- Akseli, bsmith, Simon
27 (0,13 pts) -- grams88
20 (0,13 pts) – ccexplore

30 (Both 30 and 25 seem good feud answers, but 25 feels slightly too young already. Old gramps remembers his vivid youth where he would have put 20.)

10. 20 (though I suspect the real answer is probably higher, sigh)

Results:
1. Flopsy -- 9,25 :tal-gold:
2. IchoTolot -- 8,49 :tal-silver:
3. ccexplore -- 8,38 :tal-bronze:
4. SQron188 -- 8,07
4. DeadOnArrival -- 8,07
6. Crane -- 8,00
7. Simon -- 7,79
8. namida -- 7,11
9. Nessy -- 7,09
10. grams88 -- 6,68
11. Akseli -- 6,57
12. bsmith -- 6,46
13. mobius -- 6,00

Flopsy manages to find the top answer in 8 different questions and triumphs on the top of the scoreboard, congratulations Flopsy! :thumbsup: And thank you everyone for participating!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2018, 09:15:56 PM »
Excellent feud, many hard questions where I had to decide between a few strong answers each. Thanks!

Congrats to Flopsy for this win by large margin!

-- Simon

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2018, 03:13:07 AM »
I have to give my sincere apologies to möbius, but "polygon" is an incorrect answer, because it is specifically planar, hence is a geometric shape in two-dimensional space.  The 3D equivalent is a polyhedron.  Even so, I would argue that "polygon" and "polyhedron" are too broad, since they encompass almost all shapes in their respective dimensions (generally excluding anything with a circular face such as a cylinder, and those based off n-spheres) - for example, a pentagon, hexagon, tetragon (square) and trigon (triangle) are all polygons, as are more complex shapes such as a pentagram, while a tetrahedron, hexahedron (cube), octahedron, dodecahedron and icosahedron are all polyhedra.

George Lucas is a little shaky as an author, but it is stated that he wrote Episode IV of Star Wars, so I guess it counts.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 03:20:21 AM by Crane »

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2018, 09:57:49 AM »
I have to give my sincere apologies to möbius, but "polygon" is an incorrect answer <snip>

Well not that correctness matters in feud, but if we are being really pedantic about it, the question as worded technically only says (or at least can be read as) the geometric shape has to live in 3D space, not that the shape itself has to necessarily occupy all 3 dimensions.  But yeah, we know what you mean.

I'm a little annoyed at myself for not going with my gut answer of "cube".  I was counting on more people like Simon to pick sphere.

--------------

Fast food was tough because within the US, there are so many choices (many more than the ones that are global, eg. mobius's Diary Queen) to guess who'd pick what.  And yet, many feud participants here are non-US, and then I also don't have a firm sense of which ones are popular (or even present!) overseas--everyone knows McDonalds are everywhere, but then which one is 2nd or 3rd?  Too bad Starbucks isn't fast food. :P

I did end up looking up Wikipedia, which mentioned "Burger King" both in its intro paragraph, and later in the "globalization" section with some numbers that look like it may indeed be 2nd in terms of number of oversea locations.  Then again, the picture in that section depicted KFC and Pizza Hut instead.

---------------

Comic question was interesting because of the (probably unintended) ambiguity.  As I suspected (because it crossed my mind when considering answers), some people picked answers of the Sunday newspaper comics variety.  I wasn't sure if they do that overseas of US or whether they are still called "comics", plus newspapers are a dying medium anyway (can't remember the last time I read one!).  So the superhero, Marvel/DC variety of comics seem a much safer bet, especially with the movies being rather saturated with them the last few years.

---------------

FIFA (Quote Flopsy: People play only two video games! Call of Duty and FIFA! It sucks! Hey dude, let's come over to my place to play FIFA! Nobody ever plays anything else!)

Well if you're in the US, then at least FIFA will usually be out of the picture, possibly replaced by Madden NFL.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2018, 10:14:25 AM »
For the age question, I guess I'm still thinking (or maybe more precisely, fooling myself into thinking) a good portion of the newer members are still in their school/college days.  But that is probably not realistic for a game this old.

The answers do get me curious as to how many are over 30 at this point?  I most definitely am (in fact in a few years I'd hit 40).  On the other hand, I'm not even 100% sure if Simon is over 30 yet or not (though I'm pretty sure very close to it even if not over)?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2018, 10:56:36 AM »
I did end up looking up Wikipedia, which mentioned "Burger King" both in its intro paragraph, and later in the "globalization" section with some numbers that look like it may indeed be 2nd in terms of number of oversea locations.  Then again, the picture in that section depicted KFC and Pizza Hut instead.

I don't know about anywhere else, but here in NZ "Burger King" would generally be the second place to come to mind when "McDonalds" is given as a first example.

One interesting point though - Australian users would very likely overlook "Burger King" as a possible answer, as it's known as "Hungry Jacks" there (trademark issues, I believe).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)