Author Topic: sug. Pre-level messages  (Read 1687 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
sug. Pre-level messages
« on: November 30, 2017, 01:56:47 AM »
I realize that NL already supports a pre-level message but this displays on a separate screen before the level begins. Since now it seems there is much more room on the level preview screen (since the orientation of it has been changed a little) there is room there for these messages AND OR other/more messages. This would be more like how Cheapo was (displaying short messages on the same screen as the title and stats). Honestly I'd prefer this over the current; changing screens to see a message. But I'm not suggesting they be removed altogether.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: sug. Pre-level messages
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 08:01:08 AM »
I wanted to make a suggestion somewhat connected to this, but in the other direction:

I think the new preview screen is a bit too cramped together currently in the new format. A bit more space between the lines would be nice and easier to read. Doesn't need to be as much as in the stable version, but now I think it's way too tight.

That brings me to mobius suggestion: I don't think we should smash these preview messages in the normal preview screen, too. They can be quite long so there's a chance they don't even fit. And if they fit the screen would be totally cluttered ---> high risk of the level's statistics and/or the message being ignored as theres too much text cramped together now. Also currently the extra preview text screen brings extra attention to the message --- the user has a higher chance of reading it.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 01:27:37 PM »
I think the new preview screen is a bit too cramped together currently in the new format. A bit more space between the lines would be nice and easier to read. Doesn't need to be as much as in the stable version, but now I think it's way too tight.

This is what I've been saying for a while, and I'm glad we've found another shared opinion here regarding the new format! ;)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 08:23:38 PM »
I realize that NL already supports a pre-level message but this displays on a separate screen before the level begins. Since now it seems there is much more room on the level preview screen (since the orientation of it has been changed a little) there is room there for these messages AND OR other/more messages. This would be more like how Cheapo was (displaying short messages on the same screen as the title and stats). Honestly I'd prefer this over the current; changing screens to see a message. But I'm not suggesting they be removed altogether.
Pre-level texts can be rather long, at least far longer than the ~4 lines of text available on the preview screen. So these pre-level messages have to stay at the separate screen.
A much better use is for talismans (if available).

This is what I've been saying for a while, and I'm glad we've found another shared opinion here regarding the new format! ;)
Then let's link your arguments properly, so that everyone can find them: ;P
https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=3423.msg67183#msg67183