Author Topic: Mobius' Lix Levels  (Read 9528 times)

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
Re: Mobius' Lix Levels
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 06:20:26 PM »
I have a rough adaptation to Pinnacle of Defeat. It should cull some backroutes but still can have some.
The "intended" solution in this version is in the spirit of mobius' idea but very finnicky to perform.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 07:24:35 PM »
Pinnacle of Defeat: Sadly no fix yet. I've tried with Forestidia several iterations of reply #15, and all have backroutes. I conjecture that Pinnacle of Defeat relies heavily on NL/Lemmini physics details.

Quote from: mobius
Since I really don't feel like working with Lix much anymore (apart from multiplayer) it's up to you. Just don't ask me for help because my 'vision' (to sound grandiose) is quite different in some respect and I'm stubborn and don't like to compromise :P

Sorry, I didn't read this edit sooner.

Has the level designer culture put you off? Was I too ignorant myself? Or is Lix too different from the other Lemmings-likes and it's too hard to realize your level ideas in Lix?

It's all fine, and you've done much good already for the culture. The levels wouldn't have been the same without you.

The Whispering Wind; I feel differently; :P It's designed to be a repeat level, why must repeats be *exactly* the same?

I feel that repeats are a problem, they lead to confusion, especially if they look exactly the same.

When I looked through your leftovers, I thought that Whispering Wind is merely an old version of Five for Fighting, and discarded Whispering Wind immediately. Only when I found your explanation from 2017-12 that WW and FfF are different levels, I reconsidered WW for keeping.

To clarify that both levels (WW and FfF) are keepers, different looks would have helped. For now, I'll keep WW as it is, and it's all good.

Happy that you've allowed to include all these levels in Lix!

-- Simon

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 02:07:24 AM »
Yes; Pinnacle of Defeats solution is finicky and as such; sub-par on the enjoyment scale. It's up to you(s) what to do with it; whether to change solution or include/not include at all.

Don't worry; nothing put me off.
Culture in general puts me off. I've always been a contrarian and I have a short attention span. I've just realized better of late that I'm not particularly good at working with others. And I've just lost interest in Lix for now. Maybe I will gain it back one day; but I may never.
But I'm saying 100%: you may do what you feel best with these levels; since I'm not active in it anymore; I shouldn't have much of a say into the matter; those who play/are active should decide.

The Whispering Wind; I feel differently; :P It's designed to be a repeat level, why must repeats be *exactly* the same?

I feel that repeats are a problem, they lead to confusion, especially if they look exactly the same.

When I looked through your leftovers, I thought that Whispering Wind is merely an old version of Five for Fighting, and discarded Whispering Wind immediately. Only when I found your explanation from 2017-12 that WW and FfF are different levels, I reconsidered WW for keeping.

To clarify that both levels (WW and FfF) are keepers, different looks would have helped. For now, I'll keep WW as it is, and it's all good.

Happy that you've allowed to include all these levels in Lix!

-- Simon

Here's where we disagree: I really like repeats. The repeats of the original game never gave me this problem. It's one of the (at least to my knowledge) unique things about L1 that I always liked and stood out to me. You revisit an old level except must do things differently now; so there's some nostalgia but also an added challenge.

Whispering Wind actually enforces my original solution to that level when made way back. Clam actually found the solution to (present day) five for fighting; which I liked so I kept that as it is/was. But still liked my solution (and at the very least RTW also liked it, evident in his video) so I made it into this 'repeat'.

I have weird ideas. The layout for five for fighting came to me in a dream and I feel like it (and maybe all levels) are real in some strange sense, tangible like a place or maybe living entities. I make best work I think when I just create these things as they were observed. Whenever I try to just force myself to 'make a level' out of nothing it always sucks. But I'm not really explaining this very well...

I digress; that is just in reference to the structural outline. If you want to change the decoration that's fine. Like I said; while I'm not active it isn't up to me. I don't believe I ever owned my levels even when they were just ideas before they were put down into the computer anyway.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2019, 07:07:12 AM »
All right, cool that there are no hard feelings. Yeah, I acknowledge the like for repeats, and especially in your folder, the levels should keep your style. They're good, and they're well-covered with replays.

Move on to other projects or life, and tackle exciting problems. If you'd ever like to come back, the door will always be open for you. :lix-smile:

-- Simon
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 07:45:24 AM by Simon »