Author Topic: graphic set additions  (Read 12240 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Re: graphic set additions
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 12:36:19 PM »
I just did Medieval this morning; I'm going to attach it here as soon as I'm back home! :)

I also created a blank purple background though, so that it is possible to switch back to the original Medieval background with ease. That's something missing from the original graphic sets with background; although it's less dramatic when the regular background is pitch black - you can simply switch to a different main tileset. The magenta shade of the Medieval set is unique, however.

Sports, Highland, Polar, and Outdoor should also work. Shadow and Beach already have lots of no effect-objects that can be used to customise the background. I'm not sure about Space and Circus yet.

For the ONML graphic sets, I think namida already did a version of the Brick tileset with a complete brick wall as the background? I occasionally see that one popping up in LP videos.

I'd also recommend another background for the Dirt tileset, since the current Hunt the Nessy background is very limited in applicability ;) .
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 12:56:02 PM »
I also created a blank purple background though, so that it is possible to switch back to the original Medieval background with ease. That's something missing from the original graphic sets with background; although it's less dramatic when the regular background is pitch black - you can simply switch to a different main tileset. The magenta shade of the Medieval set is unique, however.

You don't need that actually.

In the editor simply choosing the medieval style as the main level theme activates the purple background.  After that you can lay a custom bg over it and/or choosing tiles from different tilesets.

The thing your custom bgs can have is a purple and a black bg version of them, so players can choose. Switching back to standard purple is simply made by deselecting the custom bg while having medieval as your main theme selected.

I am talking about the new editor here of course.

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 04:20:00 PM »
I am talking about the new editor here of course.

Which, you probably guessed, I am not using, which is why I created both ;) .
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 06:58:32 PM »
Here are my backgrounds for Medieval and Sports.

For Brick, I just went with namida's modification, a continuous wall:

For Medieval, I created a little landscape / scenery. This one is therefore more suitable for horizontal levels; actual L2 style levels with vertical scrolling should probably go with the classic purple background, since that's more in flavour for L2-style levels anyway :) .

The Sports background is a little more random and abstract. It's probably still more suitable for horizontal levels due to the way the elements are placed and partly cut off towards the top and bottom edges. Also, be aware that the regular background for Sports is quite a bright shade of blue / purple, so your levels will look considerably darker when applying this background to them.

I've also added all the objects collected in this thread thus far to the graphic sets for the old format, in case anyone wants to use them there :) . I know most people have moved to New Formats, so if no-one else is doing maintenance of the old graphic sets with these fancy new objects, I certainly will! :P

« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 06:57:57 PM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2018, 06:58:49 PM »
I reuploaded my "Strato's background mods" archive because the teleporters and receivers from the brick tileset were actually still missing trigger areas, i.e. they were not working. Oops, sorry!

As of now, they don't make any sound yet, but they work mechanic-wise.
My packs so far:

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2018, 06:48:16 PM »
As I've been working on my next level pack, I've noticed a few glitches with certain tilesets (though maybe these have been fixed and mine are just out of date?)
1. The trigger area for some arrow walls in Tancastle don't match the graphics.
2. The object in Biolab that used to be an anti-splat pad now does nothing because anti-splat pads were removed.

I've changed these tilesets to fix these things myself (changed arrow walls to match graphics, made the old anti-splat pad into an updraft) and built levels around such changes. When releasing my pack, I'd have to include the changed tilesets as well to make the levels work properly. I'm wondering if this is going to cause a problem.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2018, 09:22:14 PM »
As I've been working on my next level pack, I've noticed a few glitches with certain tilesets (though maybe these have been fixed and mine are just out of date?)
1. The trigger area for some arrow walls in Tancastle don't match the graphics.
2. The object in Biolab that used to be an anti-splat pad now does nothing because anti-splat pads were removed.

I've changed these tilesets to fix these things myself (changed arrow walls to match graphics, made the old anti-splat pad into an updraft) and built levels around such changes. When releasing my pack, I'd have to include the changed tilesets as well to make the levels work properly. I'm wondering if this is going to cause a problem.

If they are new format tilesets then I advise you submit the altered tilesets to Nepster for inclusion in the styles download.

If they are old format, I advise you post the updated tilesets in the topic for the relative tileset.

The rule is, if you make any kind of changes then post the update!

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2018, 02:22:44 AM »
Probably a good idea. I'm also creating a sort of miscellaneous tileset that contains pieces that fit with various styles, as well as other custom pieces that don't. I'll put my cat trap in there eventually, for instance. I could just use that for all of the changes instead...
In any case, I'll wait until the pack is closer to release before figuring out what to do with this. It'll be a while yet.

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2018, 09:51:35 AM »
It looks like my three backgrounds for Brick, Sports, and Medieval are not yet part of the New Formats editor, as well as Proxima's two additions to the Brick tileset (the small red block and the small white crate)? ;)
My packs so far: