Author Topic: music by Minim and mobius  (Read 9454 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: music by Minim and mobius
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2017, 10:00:42 AM »
Yeah, I think you nail it in terms of the problems OpenMPT introduces in the conversion process.  I did change the setting from 3 to 1, and I think I did luck out that it worked pretty well for the specific MIDIs, but I can see how MIDIs of other tempos may not fare as well.

It is a fair point that even casual games on phones nowadays usually use digital audio waveform formats like OGG for music.  I do suspect the set of people who would download and play games like Lix probably have little to no overlap with the set of people where the size of OGG files would still be problematic from a download time and/or storage perspective.  I would argue that support for OGG/MP3-type formats is a must, and support for XM/IT formats is important but maybe not a must.  I'll leave it to Simon to decide whether it's acceptable for Lix to only provide OGG music and how to handle their distribution (eg. separate download or not etc.).

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2017, 08:48:13 AM »
Hi, I'd like to push for music support in the next Lix releases, and include these 5 tracks as oggs.

Minim, mobius: Are you okay with it? What license would you like?

Lix's code, tilesets, and sprites are all CC0, basically public domain: The author waives all copyright, everybody can do everything they like with the assets. Random people from the internet may distribute, modify, or sell the assets without even crediting or mentioning us. I'm perfectly happy with that, but it would be egregious to entice you into releasing the music under CC0 without a clear warning what CC0 implies.

In case you don't like CC0, CC-BY 4.0 is an alternative, or you can search the web for more options.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 09:07:35 AM by Simon »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 10:29:38 PM »
Hi, I'd like to push for music support in the next Lix releases, and include these 5 tracks as oggs.

Minim, mobius: Are you okay with it? What license would you like?

Lix's code, tilesets, and sprites are all CC0, basically public domain: The author waives all copyright, everybody can do everything they like with the assets. Random people from the internet may distribute, modify, or sell the assets without even crediting or mentioning us. I'm perfectly happy with that, but it would be egregious to entice you into releasing the music under CC0 without a clear warning what CC0 implies.

In case you don't like CC0, CC-BY 4.0 is an alternative, or you can search the web for more options.

-- Simon

That's fine. I'm okay with it and prefer it actually; rather than hassling with copyrights. Bleck.

I believe credit belongs to the art not the artist. But that's a topic for another day...
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain