Author Topic: Speedrunning Lix singleplayer  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Speedrunning Lix singleplayer
« on: November 10, 2017, 11:36:43 AM »
From yesterday's IRC log (quakenet.org #lix):

<Proxima> I'm thinking of doing a speedrun of DROD: GatEB. No page [on speedrun.com] yet :)
<Proxima> Also, I might try doing the Repton games at some point. And maybe NeoLemmix or Lix.
<SimonN> Lix is meh because I won't support ancient versions that will eventually become fastest

And it's dependent on level fluctuation between given sets of levels. Faster machines will have an advantage with faster framestepping.

Nonetheless, it's a meaningful run, with plenty of dexterity and judgement. I gave it a go, partially blind, some maps without routing. Especially on larger maps, on-the-fly routing is expensive. Who can beat this?

lemforum/Lovely in 18:52 obsolete
lemforum/Lovely in 16:50

-- Simon
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:55:26 AM by Simon »

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
Re: Speedrunning Lix singleplayer
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 12:28:41 PM »
It was an interesting watch but it really looked exhausting. Probably that lessens if someone has a fixed route and gets routine with it.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 07:57:29 PM »
Yeah, fully agree -- an interesting idea, but very fiddly. Unlike with the old DOS platformers, the routing itch hasn't set in for me. :lix-evil:

The user interface and controls aren't typical for a game; instead, the interface is designed as a tool to implement solutions to levels. In that light, the exhausting play is a good sign, it shows that the interface doesn't produce annoying waits.

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 02:53:22 PM »
It looked like in the race with geoo you actually made a new time of about 16:50 if didn't get it wrong. So a 2 minute improvement; it looks almost as if a sub-15 would be possible.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 08:53:42 AM »
Thanks for re-timing this from the vod! I've uploaded Lix lemforum/Lovely in 16:50 for reference. I still don't think this a good speedrun, and won't pursue it anytime soon. :-)

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 08:59:15 AM »
I still don't think this a good speedrun, and won't pursue it anytime soon. :-)

I can understand that. Especially for people that don't know the levels or even the game the run is probably too confusing and non-sequitur.
But I actually like the show-off of keyboard skill and the rushing through levels, that looks somehow impressive and dynamic-fast-paced.