Author Topic: Careless strolling  (Read 4920 times)

Offline Voxy

• View Profile
Careless strolling
« on: December 24, 2018, 03:46:11 AM »
Hello all! Before anything, I feel like I should introduce myself. I'm Voxy, a 20 year old aspiring UI and webdesigner from Belgium. I have fond memories of Lemmings, back when I'd play it for hours on end on my sister's PSP. The recent mobile released brought those back, though I (just like a lot of you, I assume) was very disappointed by the way it was handled.

Buuut, if there's one thing I like about this game, it's the art style. I just like it a ton, it feels like a modern take on the Amiga graphics, and while the actual level assets are kinda generic, the promotional artwork makes me wish there was a fan engine that actually supports high-definition graphics so that we could get a game that'd look as good. <3

Anyways, enough rambling. As you can probably tell, all that inspired me to open Photoshop and get drawing for a few hours. It ended up being a mixture of the new style and the Team 17 one, but I think it turned out great. I did rush the cliffside because it was awfully late and I really wanted to finish this piece, but it does the job. Hope you'll like it!

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
Re: Careless strolling
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 08:06:13 AM »
Welcome to the forums Voxy! :thumbsup: I must agree with you, the best part about the mobile game is how Lemmings look like. They're really cute and clean, and much better looking than the previous playstation era design.

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 08:07:25 AM »
This is pretty amazing, not often that we get professionals here. And one who have more positive thing to say about the recent mobile game.
The artstyle could work if it had the soul of the original game style to go with it if you ask me. But if anything Welcome aboard! We hope you enjoy it here we got plent of lemmings to go around, heck you can even take stab at making a graphic set yourself for Neolemmix here. If you so wish that is ;)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 09:56:18 AM »
Very nice! Happy to have you on the forums.

-- Simon

Offline Voxy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 03:39:13 PM »
Thank you for the warm welcome! Really happy you enjoyed my fan-art. I plan on making some more overtime, perhaps I'll develop this style a little!

you can even take stab at making a graphic set yourself for Neolemmix here. If you so wish that is ;)

I'm actually considering it, the thing is, I haven't really looked too deep into it and I'm unsure if the engine would support the features needed for my ideal Lemmings graphics set. (Alpha blending for smoother edges, high framerate for animations, high definition graphics, etc.)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 03:50:04 PM »
Well, what a day to join! Welcome to the forums - and Merry Christmas, of course! ;)

(Why don't we have any Christmas Lemmings smilies, btw? :D )
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 09:06:55 PM »
Yeah, welcome to the forum!

I'm actually considering it, the thing is, I haven't really looked too deep into it and I'm unsure if the engine would support the features needed for my ideal Lemmings graphics set. (Alpha blending for smoother edges, high framerate for animations, high definition graphics, etc.)
Sorry, but I have to disappoint you there:
Alpha blending is somewhat supported by the engine, but we currently discourage designers from using it. There are still a few problems we have to solve, like: From what alpha value on do we consider pixels to be solid? Should these be drawn with full alpha, and should the remaining pixels be removed completely?
Higher framerate: Apart from technical issues with the current implementation, I doubt that it would look good if the animations for lemmings and traps have different fps. If we go along in that direction, the first step should be to create lemming animations with higher framerate, not specific graphic sets.
High definition graphics: As Simon has found out with Lix, there are some questions regarding the game physics: How many of the sprite pixels have to be solid, in order for the (low-res) physics pixel to be considered solid? In Lix, Simon implemented the rule: A physics pixel consists of two horizontal image pixels, and if one of the image pixels is terrain, then the physics pixel is considered terrain. This has lots of "interesting" consequences, and at least twice I thought I had found a bug in Lix, but in fact it was just a consequence of this rule. I am currently aware of no good rule to translate a high-res image to a low-res physics map. So unless one magically appears, there will be no support for high-res graphic sets. I just favor ease and clarity of game-play over nice graphics.

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 04:50:02 PM »
All of Nepster's points here are valid, and I agree with them.
That said, don't let the lack of high-res graphics discourage you from trying your hand at making a graphic set or levels. Many of the forum users have proved that with enough effort, you can make something spectacular.

Or you can be like me and purposely makes a level that looks like a horrendous abomination just to troll people. :evil:

Offline Voxy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 04:02:44 AM »
[snip]

Yeah, I figured that the handling of physics and terrain destruction wouldn't play nice with the features I mentioned. :( And I'm not saying that you can't do anything nice with pixel art, mind you. It's just that my heart still yearns for a proper HD Lemmings game on the PC. :laugh: