Author Topic: Style Trial Part 2: Up and Running  (Read 7061 times)

Offline Isu

• View Profile
Style Trial Part 2: Up and Running
« on: September 01, 2005, 07:48:01 PM »
I was gonna post on the "Cheapo Levelpak topic", but since geoo89's pack is in full swing there, I decided start a new topic.

It was delayed for a week, but that helped me finish it up.

The reason why the zip is so big (2.6 KB ) is because of Ahribars MichaelBlue, and MichaelPink styles. I would remove them, but they're not very easy to get a hold of. (well, not very easy for people who don't visit this forum)

So there you have it, there aren't as many cheap tricks used in here, but there are at least 3 more Genesis remakes. What do you think?

P.S. I suggest Shvegait stays away from the "Satanic Lemmings" level. After reading his rant on the "Custlemm level list game" thread, I don't think he would want to even attempt the crazy timing that's required here. :D

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
Re: Style Trial Part 2: Up and Running
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 09:25:09 PM »
Quote from: Isu  link=1125604081/0#0 date=1125604081
P.S. I suggest Shvegait stays away from the "Satanic Lemmings" level. After reading his rant on the "Custlemm level list game" thread, I don't think he would want to even attempt the crazy timing that's required here. :D

No, no. You misunderstand me. Unless those bars are really steel and that exit is a fake one, I see no problems. Really, above everything else, I dislike unfair levels.

Now you'll probably think I disliked Insane Steve's "You know what you have to do" or whatever levels, but it's not true. There was nothing unfair about those levels, plus there was no tedious repetition.

You'll probably also think I dislike "We all fall down". This isn't the case; you don't need to be precise and the level is fair. Plus, there are multiple ways of tackling the problem (but of course they are related).

If you haven't done so yet, please play Timballisto's "The Selhajek Arbenition." and Conway's "Back and Forth" (in his Cheapo - LemEdit remake set). Don't just play them once. Play them until you have beaten them. Then it may become apparent where I am coming from. (Or you'll fare better than I did.)

Sorry, didn't want to hog your thread  :-[

I won't comment on "Satanic Lemmings" for a while though, I'll play the levels in order. I've just played the first two levels, and the first one is fun, even though it's easy :) This Style Trial idea is rather cool.  B)

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 11:01:33 PM »
Quote from: Shvegait  link=1125604081/0#3 date=1125617833
Oops, yeah, I was going to mention that. The link actually redirects you to us.share.geocities.com or something, and you have to manually type in www and get rid of the us.share part. But then you should be able to download it.

Huh? That shouldn't be happening. I'll take the http:// prefix out and see if that works. I didn't test the download because of the limited bandwidth Geocitites has.

I wonder if using Mindless' upload portal would minimize the bandwidth problems...

EDIT: I've edited the http:// out, and it didn't work. I don't know what the problem is though.

Quote from: Shvegait  link=1125604081/0#1 date=1125609913
No, no. You misunderstand me. Unless those bars are really steel and that exit is a fake one, I see no problems. Really, above everything else, I dislike unfair levels.

Sorry, My mistake :-[. It really doesn't matter, since the level only fits with one point on that little checklist you did. (The unforgiving timed bombers)

Quote from: Shvegait  link=1125604081/0#1 date=1125609913
Sorry, didn't want to hog your thread

Thats Okay.
I'm glad you liked level 1 btw :D.

Conway

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 11:15:51 PM »
Well, even correcting the url it says the bandwidth has been used. Maybe the ftp portal would be a good option.

Conway

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 11:33:32 PM »
File won't open for me!  :-(

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 11:37:13 PM »
Oops, yeah, I was going to mention that. The link actually redirects you to us.share.geocities.com or something, and you have to manually type in www and get rid of the us.share part. But then you should be able to download it.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 03:23:47 AM »
Do you want my other new styles, Isu? Since you've already used two of them? They wouldn't be final versions, since ccexplore is still doing the music, but everything else would be fully functional.

Unforunately, my styles do take up a lot of space, so I'd recommend leaving them out of the zip, and I'll put them up on a site for people who don't have them.

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 06:21:15 PM »
Okaaay. I'll take the styles out. This set obviously isn't in it's final release, It's finished to the point where I want it for release. I do want to use every style, however, with the rate at which new styles are being released it will be quite difficult for me to keep up. If I were use all your styles this soon, it means you'd be releasing them early (and without the music from ccexplore).

I wouldn't worry too much about sending me them. I can wait until you release them officially. I've still got Part 3 to worry about here.

As for the us.share thing, the file is now fully accessable from my site without having to rename the url (I know, I tested it this time), and I'll also upload it on the portal. If bandwidth becomes a problem you can use the portal (or just use the portal regardless ;)).

Link to portal: http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/

EDIT: It turns out the modified zip without Ahribars styles is less than 700KB! This should really cut down on bandwidth!  :thumbsup:

Conway

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2005, 01:24:07 AM »
Which style is used in level 3 'And lo behold'? I don't seem to have it.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2005, 06:18:46 AM »
OK; I'll save the other styles for when the final versions are ready, but since you've used the pre-release versions of Pink and Blue, I've put those two up in a zip file: http://www.geocities.com/zarathustra47/Michael.zip

Anyone who doesn't have both these styles can get them there! (The download is about 2MB...... don't say I didn't warn you!)

Incidentally, would you like the Repton style now? I wasn't planning on releasing it until I'd done six levels (I've done four), but the style itself is complete.

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2005, 05:14:29 PM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1125604081/0#9 date=1125728326
Incidentally, would you like the Repton style now? I wasn't planning on releasing it until I'd done six levels (I've done four), but the style itself is complete.

Sure, why not? The more the merrier.  :)

Also, please could you re-download the set, I've fixed a few minor bugs (a level being impossible, for example). Same link or use the portal. If you use the portal, It's STPII.zip, not the StyleTrial_PartII.zip, I couldn't overwrite it :-(. Mindless, if you're around, could you remove it? thanks.

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2005, 05:58:52 PM »
Quote from: Isu  link=1125604081/0#10 date=1125854069
If you use the portal, It's STPII.zip, not the StyleTrial_PartII.zip, I couldn't overwrite it :-(. Mindless, if you're around, could you remove it? thanks.

Removed.  Files cannot be overwritten for obvious reasons. ;P