Author Topic: custom sounds  (Read 2997 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
custom sounds
« on: October 16, 2017, 10:45:28 PM »
post custom sounds to use for [the new format version] NeoLemmix!

My first batch here is a mix of some Mario sounds and Sonic sounds. I made this mainly to get rid of the annoying old Amiga sounds that I didn't like. But I figured we could have a place for future people to post other sounds you could use.

warning: always back up your existing files before you do things like these: or you will lose them forever!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 10:53:55 PM by mobius »
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
Re: custom sounds
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 10:52:35 PM »
A good idea. Something I've noticed very little of is custom win/lose music for level packs. I'll post mine here.
Remember to name them "success.ogg" and "failure.ogg" and to insert them into your pack as custom files if you want to use them.

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 05:57:15 PM »
Mine are as follows
Victory - Freedom Planet Stage Clear
Failure - Freedom Planet Game Over (short)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 06:32:05 PM »
Quick question: How do I use them in New Formats for specific packs only, rather than as general replacements by throwing them into the "sounds" folder?

I put mine into the main folder of a pack of mine (in both MP3 and .ogg format), but NeoLemmix doesn't seem to recognise them and plays the standard jingles instead.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline jamesleemorgan

• "Little Jim - Lemming Game Contender"
  • This is a ongoing story of True Victory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 12:57:35 PM »
As befitting my "Punch-Out!!" mindset when it comes to Lemmings, I have two I could share. All are from the NES version.

Heck, have the "Gillette Be Sharp March" intro even.
Soon, your levels will be a part of the story. A story of Lemming Game Victory! But the Road will be long.

Coming Soon to be Recorded
"Lemming Team's LEM-OUT!!"
Starring "Little Jim" and his built in experience coach "Lomax Louis."

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 11:10:29 AM »
Here's some Amiga ones if someone likes that as well.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 02:14:29 PM »
Would still be great if one could use these on a pack-by-pack basis, rather than changing them for the entire game... :D

Since we're already considering providing custom sounds together with the download of the pack they belong to, why not make custom success- and failure-jingles specific to their respective packs again?

One of the few remaining things that Old Formats could do that haven't yet been transferred to New Formats... :P
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 09:52:01 AM »
Since we're already considering providing custom sounds together with the download of the pack they belong to, why not make custom success- and failure-jingles specific to their respective packs again?

These features have never been very popular. I'm actually kind of surprised they survived the culls at all.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 07:33:11 PM »
Would still be great if one could use these on a pack-by-pack basis, rather than changing them for the entire game... :D

Honestly, This, I don't want to replace the sounds for the entire game just to match the theming, I want have pack specific sounds, sounds in the pack's files that play over the original sounds. And they just rest within the Level Pack itself

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 09:36:22 PM »
From a quick look at the source code (I very likely wrote this part, but it was also a very long time ago so I don't recall it too well), it appears that unlike graphics - which NeoLemmix is written to account for frequent changing of - sounds are very much treated on a basis of "load once, assume it won't change". For the same reason, if you were to replace a sound file while NeoLemmix is running, it would continue to use the old sound until restarted, provided that either the sound is one of the default sounds, or it's already been used at least once during the custom session. (On the other hand, if you replaced a graphic file, while it might not change immediately as NeoLemmix does cache graphics, it would eventually if the corresponding image isn't used by NL for a while.)

If a need ever arises to change the way the sound system works to be more like that of graphics, then at that point reimplementing per-pack success / failure jingles can definitely be considered, but doing that just to reimplement this feature would be a lot of work for a feature very few people use. The only reason I can think of why we might need to do that is to avoid excessive memory usage, but so far sounds have not really been a huge problem in that regard, graphics are (which is why graphics are discarded from memory when not used for a while).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)