Author Topic: Lemmings Plus Graphic set redesign thread  (Read 24624 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Re: Lemmings Plus Graphic set redesign thread
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2018, 11:16:44 PM »
Probably the easiest fix for it would be to add multiple physically-identical pieces with different shading representing the top, bottom, and middle portions of the terrain. The dirt tile looks good in isolation; it just doesn't combine well.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2018, 02:03:23 PM »
plom's mod of Psychedelic hadn't been converted to New Formats yet. Fortunately, he gave all his pieces proper names right away in the original version, so I only had to drag it onto the conversion tool.

I also converted GigaLem's interim version of the Tree tileset (which also had proper names). Because I actually need both, since I even mixed them in Lemmings World Tour :D !

I named it "gigalem_treemdbright" to differentiate it from the now more commonly used darker one. The background is identical, so I threw it out to avoid duplicate pieces (translation table is attached so that the background gets replaced with the identical one from the darker tree tileset). The hatch and exit are actually a little brighter, too, so these are not identical, hence I kept them.

I noticed though that neither plom's nor namida's original Psychedelic tileset keep their teleporters and receivers when converted to New Formats! It's clear that the radiation object gets thrown out, but why the teleporters and receivers as well? Those are unique to this tileset!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 02:21:39 PM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2018, 12:27:32 AM »
I noticed though that neither plom's nor namida's original Psychedelic tileset keep their teleporters and receivers when converted to New Formats! It's clear that the radiation object gets thrown out, but why the teleporters and receivers as well? Those are unique to this tileset!

As they're only a very slight recolor of the Circuit one (with the actual reason for the recoloring being file format limitations at the time they were added - back then a graphic set was limited to 32 colors, of which 8 were hardcoded into NL and only the other 24 could be custom-picked - not an intentional design decision), I saw no need to maintain the unique graphic when I converted.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2018, 09:27:26 AM »
Okay, I get that, but plom's modification does have a unique design for the teleporter. Why does that get removed as well if it doesn't have the same name as your Psychedelic version? ;)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2019, 02:33:53 PM »
Oops! Looks like I uploaded the conversion of the interim version of GigaLem's tree tileset (the bright one, which seems to be less appreciated), but not the "final" version :) .

I thought GigaLem's ZIP file in the starting post included New Formats versions as well.

I think the standard downloads of New Formats NeoLemmix include all these tilesets now anyway, but for those who want to download them separately, we should probably also have them here.
My packs so far:

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2019, 04:05:23 PM »
Again, just popping in to say these are looking really great. :thumbsup:
the redesign of the metal one and the desert looks particularly awesome!

are they available automatically with NL yet?
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2019, 04:30:10 PM »
For some reason I've noticed the redesigned Purple tileset only just now and I have to say that it's terrific! The steel blocks there are my favorite! This particular background helps the tileset immensely, in my opinion, and makes it easier on the ol' eyes.

I haven't replied to this topic a whole lot (or in fact at all) till now but I find these reworks - to a varying degree - but great improvements over the originals! Good job, team

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2019, 05:47:52 PM »
I think Sky is the only remaining graphic set from the Lemmings Plus series that could still use an overhaul, couldn't it? ;) namida's later ones (Mineshaft, Clockwork, Honeycomb, Machine, Circuit etc.) already looked a lot better from the getgo.
My packs so far:

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2019, 06:52:41 PM »
I thought I already converted these, you're a bit late on this strato

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2019, 07:44:24 PM »
You did, I just reuploaded them because they were not available as separate tilesets ;) - this thread only contained the Old Formats versions so far. And nin10doadict didn't have them, despite apparently having downloaded the newest NeoLemmix version (because otherwise he wouldn't have had access to the Shimmier which is required in my levels from Lemmings Open Air).

If you're referring to the Sky tileset: I didn't say you specifically should do it ;) ! I just said that one could still use an overhaul if all other of the early Lemmings Plus graphic sets got one.
My packs so far:

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2019, 03:01:12 AM »
I'll be bumping this thread for a good reason.

I've said that I've wanted to resume doing set redesigns, I've wanted to get back to Lemmings Plus redesigns as well other stuff.

Wafflem has dm'ed me giving extra help with sets, along with extra tiles for the Master System Dirt set (which should be finished very soon hopefully)
He's given me two sets as a suggestion for redesigning. An Unfinished one by Minim Which I'll be happy to give a graphical upgrade. And one of Namida's Old Cheapo sets
Wafflem told me that Namida rather not treat his cheapo like they exist (I could be wrong so don't quote me on it) But I would like to offer my services.
I want to design a new "Racetrack" set (maybe under a new name) as if it were new set. And I want it to feel like a Potential Lemmings Plus set. Take an old idea and make something new with it.
So instead of trying to redesign it. I'd make it from scratch.

As for Redesigning the Lemmings Plus sets, I'll want to start LPIII stuff one of these and i'm half tempted to Start with Sky to make it more usable.

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2019, 07:44:02 PM »
I can only encourage you to start with Sky! :thumbsup: There's no comparable style in NeoLemmix so far, and this one definitely still looks quite "rough".
My packs so far:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2019, 07:55:42 PM »
Wafflem told me that Namida rather not treat his cheapo like they exist (I could be wrong so don't quote me on it) But I would like to offer my services.

Okay, so by this I basically meant - I don't want the existing version of the set to be used / converted because it's really poor quality. But if you'd like to do a "remaster" version of it, or create a new tileset inspired by it, that's fine by me.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2019, 05:53:52 AM »
Finally another redesign, Sky is now improved
Before

After

This version adds

Sky Bricks
A star pickup skill
Rainbow pieces
Sky brick themed exit

Credit to Plom510 for help with some of the sprites

Link in attachment below, this will be added to the first post

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2019, 09:26:31 AM »
YES! I was hoping for this one as soon as I saw the update notification for this thread. Great job, GigaLem and Plom! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Due to the terrain shape of the specific level above, it looks a bit more like snow than clouds in this case. But since all the terrain pieces are still the same, i.e. cloud shaped, I think if you create a less "mountain-like" structure out of those pieces, it's going to trigger the association "Sky" again right away. 8-)

Now I'm actualy thinking about using this tileset for at least some of the Sky levels from Lemmings World Tour once I convert it to New Formats. I know Flopsy did that for most of the Desert levels from SEB Lems.

However, if I want to keep both Sky tilesets available in the editor, I guess I have to backup my old translation table for Sky and then create a second one that replaces all old Sky pieces with the new ones? Then insert the new translation table into the respective folder while converting all Sky levels I want to have in the new tileset, then replace the translation table with the old one for all levels I want to keep the old Sky tileset.

Correct, @namida / @Nepster? ;)
My packs so far: