Lix > Lix Levels

Miniatures (misc/miniatures)

(1/6) > >>

Simon:
Hi!

Find attached 10 miniatures built by geoo and me.

I call a level a miniature iff it satisfies all of these constraints:

* Width is at most 320, which is half the default level width.
* Height is at most 200, which is half the default level height.
* Number of lix is at most 9.
* Total number of skills is at most 9.The width/height restrictions are inspired by Gronkling's small maps. Gronkling explained how the small levels would happen naturally for him. I was envious and decided to build a couple small maps, too!

geoo and I made these several months ago. Originally, I've wanted to hoard them until I had a proper pack. But I haven't worked on small levels recently, therefore I'll release them without pack polish.

All levels are proven solvable under 0.9.x physics.

-- Simon

Nepster:
Attached solutions to all of Simon's levels and three of geoo's levels. For the other two I have ideas, but I miss the variable SI to time my lix correctly.

Simon:
Thanks for playing!

Feedback for Nepster (click to show/hide)Jerboa Garden: Intended!
Diodes: Intended!

African Wigwam: Intended! It deviates from my intended solution in the final 2 skill assignments. Will probably remove Nepster's variant because it's hard to execute.

Overhead: You cancel a different digger by building, which leads to an accepted alternative that saves entirely different lixes. My solution saves a non-climber from the left hatch instead, which requires the final digger that you have left over. I'll leave both solutions in. The main idea is freeing the right crowd with a climber from the left hatch, and it looks like all solutions must do that.

At the Pond: You free the blocker and bat over the pond with the same batter, otherwise it's my solution. I'd like to make yours the intended solution, it's a good skill save.

-- Simon

Forestidia86:
I really like the idea of miniature levels. I think they fit my playstyle best. I can deal better with one compact puzzle than having to go through a long level. And there are less possible combinations what to do so that I can even solve those things on my skilllevel. Insofar it's really cool that you made those levels.
I have attached solutions to all ten (played on v. 0.8.4).

Concerning the single levels:

Simon's levels:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)Getting the timing for the batter in "African Wigwam" was a bit finicky for me but I don't have much experience with this game. I kind of liked the frog in the sand waiting for its prey.
I actually liked the leeway that the extra batter gives you in "At the pond".
In "Jerboa Garden" I could save the digger but this was a level where I had to puzzle around a lot to get to a working set up.
"Overhead" was quite nice for me since I could basically see what to do very early. Unfortunately I stepped in every mistake I could make.
"Diodes" felt somehow very classical.

geoo's Levels:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)"Frog Fractions" was a nice and not too hard of a level.
"Parrot cage" had a nice puzzle.
I tried for a long time a wrong approach in "Solitary Confinement" but actually the solution is not even that hard.
"In the cubicle" was much trial and error for me but the title hinted at least at what to do. Is there a way to assess how to do the block?
"Rock on the Block" seemed to be dependent a many different aspects if it works out well: when to start the digger, when to bat, when to use the bashers. I thought my successful attempt would fail but magically worked out. But this was generally the level that I solved last since I had no idea how to approach it for a long time. 

Simon:
Thanks for playing, and welcome to the forums, Forestidia! I'm super happy that you joined because of these levels -- I didn't imagine they would make such an impact on anyone.

I wholeheartedly agree that the forced simplicity is refreshing; we'll still have large levels, too. Surprisingly, even among these small levels, some became harder than intended. I thought that happens only with large levels because designers underestimate distractions by side ideas and decoration.

Feedback for Forestidia86 (click to show/hide)Diodes: Intended!

Overhead: Intended!

At the Pond: Intended! Yeah, I'll keep 3 batters for lenience. The core trick is to turn with batters near the exit.

African Wigwam: Intended! Yeah, the batter is precise. I consider it OK because it's immediately at start, and almost everything else fails, pointing to this batting idea.

Jerboa Garden: You took great care to delay the second digger, giving the builder enough time to climb the second digger's left wall and bonk at the top. I didn't think this timing was possible. This will be hard to fix, but I should fix it. You're very close to the intended solution: Spoiler (click to show/hide)After the second digger is halfway through, assign her miner.  This will delay her breakthrough, allowing the builder to climb and bonk.
-- Simon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version