Lemmings Boards > Fan Corner

music by Minim and mobius

(1/4) > >>

mobius:
me and Minim collaborated to make 5 songs originally intended for use with Lix or NeoLemmix but since both parties stated they couldn't/didn't want it; I'm uploading it here for your personal use/enjoyment.

Minim did most of the work; I merely provided some ideas. Downloadable in MIDI or mp3 format. I can make other formats if requested.

Simon:
Hats off! :thumbsup:

I've listened to these several times now. You have great ideas. I've enjoyed the melancholic pieces the most: Driving and Foggy Streets at Night.

Minim, I haven't heard much from you recently on the forums. Are you still online? Neat work, thanks for publishing!

Your music would be awesome in Lix. Some roadblocks are in Lix itself:

* For Windows Lix music support, I still have to finish some details and merge it into the main release.
* Linux Lix music support is tricky (libraries outdated), but that's fine, most Lix players use Windows.
* All music would either ship with the main download, or would be put by user into the main download's central music folder. This doesn't scale well to users shipping individual levels with custom music, which would be nice-to-have and is popular in NL culture. Acceptable for now, can find a future solution for this. (Tilesets have the same issue.)About formats:

* .ogg or .mp3 are fat, lossy formats. Your music is tracked, therefore we should use a tracked format instead.
* Midi isn't supported by my library. And Midi sounds different on different devices. Since you have learned to track midi, definitely continue with your trusty, well-understood tools. We'll merely have to find another solution.
* Ideally, we use .xm or .it, which is tracked music plus samples. I don't know if it's possible to convert from midi at all, or how easy it would be, but google will know.For these reasons, I've always said: Enjoy making music, and please ensure you'll have fun independently from whether your art ends up in Lix. I would like it in Lix, and I think about it often, but the problems will take longer than a day to solve. :lix-smile:

-- Simon

mobius:
thanks for the kind words!

It is possible to convert from MIDI to IT but not simple. I tried with a good program called ?? (XM Tracker? I forget :-[ ) and the results were sub par to rubbish. The biggest problem was sometimes the timing was off and other issues. I don't know if this was an issue with the program or with IT/MIDI.
I searched a little bit to do a better job but didn't search for long.

ccexplore:
OpenMPT seems to do a decent job converting the MIDIs to IT or XM formats.  By no means perfect but pretty close, at least when I tried it on "assembly line".  Haven't tried the others.

mobius:

--- Quote from: ccexplore on September 13, 2017, 06:25:47 AM ---OpenMPT seems to do a decent job converting the MIDIs to IT or XM formats.  By no means perfect but pretty close, at least when I tried it on "assembly line".  Haven't tried the others.

--- End quote ---

oh; that's the program I fiddled with. Well I'm glad to hear it worked for this. Maybe we'll get lucky and it will work with all of these. But it failed pretty miserably with some others. Particularly in converting the MIDI's from Lemmings Paintball. Some of the converted instruments/timbres I did not like and it seemed to totally fail at rendering sliding/tremolo pitches correctly.
I don't think Minim put anything like this in these though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version