Author Topic: Community set, changes for Lix 0.7.x  (Read 21628 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Community set, changes for Lix 0.7.x
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2017, 05:00:07 PM »
In favor of renaming Cuber Replacement.

Let's Block and Blow? is cute, nontrivial, and flingbombs which is already underrepresented. Very good level, I'd love even more cute levels, like Beneath the Lab. Flopsy solving Let's Block and Blow? was perfect, got it after 2 rewinds.

I accept the argument that Rainbow Road packs more punch without Let's Block and Blow. If we replace Let's Block and Blow at all, the replacement should be cute, and ideally have a simple fling-exploder.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:23:58 PM by Simon »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2017, 08:44:59 PM »
On looking again, the trick in Let's Block and Blow? (given the fling bomber) is a bit different from the trick in Rainbow Road, so I think we can keep both.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2017, 10:21:17 PM »
Sinking Ship: Attached an almost-solution that saves 32 where 35/40 are required. I had 34 before that looked the same.

I don't see clear ways how to improve on this. But it's too close to 35 to feel entirely off. geoo, please judge. Bulldozer lacked clarity of why exactly (saving 60 where 80/120 are required) failed, encouraging to fidget towards 80. It would be sad if Sinking Ship had the same problem.

Edit: Attached a 35. Still looks the same as before. The save requirement feels overly tight.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:30:11 PM by Simon »

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2017, 10:52:59 AM »
Instead, I was contemplating this sort of change to Empty Space:
Alas, this doesn't work as you can just use a climber (or even builder for Ramon's solution) from the inside of the box to elevate the bomber hole.

Can we rename Cuber Replacement? Previous levels do not suggest that cubers in particular are the go-to tool for making a digger continue.
I think the name is rather appropriate as the player places a cube and something that very much resembles a cube (a replacement, or alternative or maybe you can find a better word) in the level. I don't see any allusion to the cube as go-to tool for continued digger in there.

Or Maybe "Build Your Own Cube" or something like that?

Attached is a version of Sinking Ship that should eliminate Simon's solution. Please tell me if it still looks like you can get close enough to the requirement to try pushing this solution through.
EDIT: If this is not good enough, attached is an even more extreme variation (V2b), it's also a bit uglier.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 11:17:06 AM by geoo »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2017, 10:30:16 PM »
My backroute idea fails on both versions by large margin. I found these solutions instead. They look intended.

I'd pick Sinking Ship v2 for the pack, over Bulldozer. v2b looks good to me too, but if you like v2 better, we should use v2.

-- Simon

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2017, 07:47:29 AM »
Everything until here is in Lix 0.7.22.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 07:53:50 AM by Simon »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2017, 11:49:41 AM »
Forest of Fears had two backroutes in 0.8.0.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

De-backrouted level here. Include this in 0.8.1?

-- Simon
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 12:04:30 PM by Simon »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2017, 06:09:23 PM »
D24 Over the Hump is very similar to the earlier level Lixes in Motion. I suggest replacing it with Duality (from mobius' post here) and switching it with D29 Round Trip.

Duality is easier than mobius' post suggests, but is still an interesting and fun mid-difficulty level.