Author Topic: Gronkling's animal packs development thread (pack 1 in testing)  (Read 2486 times)

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
Gronkling's animal packs development thread (pack 1 in testing)
« on: November 22, 2020, 01:50:44 AM »
Working on a large-scale project doesn't agree with me, so instead I'll be releasing my levels 10 at a time just like the old days. :D This way I can focus on getting a batch of a few levels perfect at a time, instead of dealing with over 100 levels which stressed me out.

Introducing Gronkling's animal packs :8:()[::lemcat:
  • Each will have 10 20 levels, the standard number of a classic pack before big game-sized projects became the standard
  • There will be 2 versions of each pack! The standard version with my set solutions, and an easy version with extra skills and open-ended solutions for beginners, or people who like looking for challenge solutions. Both versions will share the same terrain.
  • Each pack is themed after a different family of animals, because who doesn't like those cool critters :8():. There's a fun sculpture of an animal hanging around at the sides of each level
  • I'll keep a 'compilation pack' going where you can find each mini-pack bundled together in one easy mega-pack (only applicable when I release more than 1 pack)
  • The levels will be a mix of levels I liked from my old unreleased game-sized pack, and newly created levels using new neolemmix skills.

----------------------

Animal pack 1: Rodents! :lemming:
Here's a squirrel

[INITIAL LEVEL CREATION finished]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 06:05:36 PM by Gronkling »

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
Re: Gronkling's animal packs development thread
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 09:13:16 AM »
How great to know you're still making levels!
This is a great project, and you're so right about making a small amount of levels at a time instead of making dozens of them and then trying to sort them all and losing your mind. :scared:
Will you use custom tilesets or original tilesets with added animal sculptures in them?
Cool squirrel! At first glance I though it was a llama with a bell on its neck :crylaugh:

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 11:06:19 AM »
I'm just using already existing tilesets, with the sculptures made out of various terrain from the same tileset as the level.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 11:19:39 AM »
Awww, that's cute! :thumbsup: Glad to see another level designer join the club of people who "paint" with level tiles. This looks amazing! I can't imagine how much time it must have taken to place all these overlapping trees from your Beast II tileset and cutting away the excess parts. Must have been a bit like stone-carving, but with terrain pieces. :D

I guess those animals are going to be completely peaceful towards the lemmings wandering around all over them? ;)

Not like in my levels, where usually every animal is a trap, be it an object or terrain... :P
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 12:14:15 PM »
They're mostly just an optional to look at decoration of the level that are on the sides as a kind of frame right now, though I might add a few into the level themselves as terrain decoration once they have been tested (so I don't have to put loads of work into a decoration then remove it when a backroute goes right through it!)

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 01:35:21 AM »
I finished the initial creation of all 10 levels of the first pack, so testing will begin. 8-) I currently have 2 testers, if you feel like testing I'll take one more.
I have all the testers I need :D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 02:41:32 AM by Gronkling »

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: Gronkling's animal packs development thread (pack 1 in testing)
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 02:39:06 AM »
Happy to help if you need :lemcat:

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
Re: Gronkling's animal packs development thread (pack 1 in testing)
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 06:07:23 PM »
I decided I'm going to release 20 levels per pack so it's a bit more substantial, and it makes each pack the size of a standard rank.
Also I could do with 1 more tester I think! So let me know if you want to test some hard levels.