Author Topic: myvgaspec:  (Read 25338 times)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: myvgaspec:  create your own VGASPECx.DAT!
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2005, 07:18:42 AM »
There's also a Prima Publishing special level, but the graphic is nothing special at all.
Just the letters Prima Publishing and a symbol to bash though.
If you want it though, I can send you the vgaspec file @ ccexplore.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: myvgaspec:
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2005, 07:47:23 AM »
Eh, why not, might as well.  Thanks.

JM

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2005, 11:16:17 AM »
I've played on that Level. The graphics of the level aren't really anything special but the Covox Level has some interesting designs.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2005, 11:05:52 AM »

JM

« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2005, 11:11:29 AM »
Thanks for uploading them. They're great.

JM

« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2005, 01:14:03 PM »
http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/

I have uploaded a VGASPECx.dat for people to use in their own levels. Anybody feel free to use the VGSAPEC2.dat that's located in the portal. If you have any comments please tell me.

Anatol

« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2005, 03:17:30 PM »
Wow. I have to try this! :)

JM

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2005, 03:23:01 PM »
You should try it. It's awesome. Timballisto made a level with one the new extended sets. You can find it in his 4th levelpak. I'll look forward to your new Custlemm levels Anatol. I hope I can see your new VGSAPECx set.

Leviathan

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2005, 09:27:08 PM »
I'm having trouble with the colours...if I only can use those 7 colors those levels will look monotonous :(

How did Timb manage to get a level that looks so cool?

JM

« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2005, 09:30:08 PM »
You could ask Timballisto about it I think. I've been making my own VGASPECx.dats but I haven't used any in my levels yet.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2005, 11:10:10 PM »
You don't think "A Beast of a Level", "What an AWESOME Level", etc. look cool? They all follow the color restriction... It's all about picking colors that go well together, as well as a couple that look good by themselves for misc. terrain features. Actually part of the reason those particular games' scenes were chosen was because of their use of that particular palette (8 colors). I think Mike posted somewhere about how other games' levels had to be rejected because of their colors.

But even the regular graphics sets follow this restriction (aside from objects), and they manage to look OK, don't you think?

Just don't be too ambitious...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2005, 11:20:02 PM »
Quote from: Leviathan  link=1123741312/45#59 date=1128383420
You said there are 4 browns and 3 reds in Menacing...

However the only colors I'm allowed to use for vgaspec.dat files are red,orange,green,yellow,blue,cyan and purple...

No, no, no.  Sorry,  looks like there's a misunderstanding.

myvgaspec will take the first 7 color it finds in your bitmap, but they can be any colors.  The example used the rainbow colors to help highlight the fact that there are 7 colors, but you're not stuck with just those specific 7.

I tried making a vgaspec.dat file with white pixels,it didn't work.I tried doing the same in orange and it didn't work either.

The problem might have nothing to do with colors.  For example, what's the dimensions (width and height) of the bitmap you're trying to use?  The width must be 960 or less.  Also, your bitmap has to be of BMP format, and must be a 24 bpp BMP (in Windows, open up your graphics in MS Paint and do a Save As, making sure to select under "Type" the one that has "24" mentioned).

myvgaspec should give you fairly descriptive error messages pinpointing why it doesn't accept your bitmap.  Tell me which error message it gave you.

Leviathan

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2005, 11:21:03 PM »
I would have sworn I saw other colors than that palette in Menacing and other regular levels...I'll have a closer look :)

JM

« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2005, 11:26:55 PM »
Beast of a level,MENACING,What an AWESOME Level and BeastII of a level all look cool. The Pipes by Timballisto also looks cool. When you edit your own VGSAPECx the palette can change as the objects in Timballisto's level has different colour. He used VGASPEC0 as a base to build his own VGSAPECx file. I could make some VGASPECx files and upload them so people can use them in their levels. I think I already uploaded 1 at Mindless's file portal. Leviathan I would love to see your own VGSAPECx file.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2005, 11:28:42 PM »
Menacing has 7 colors and black (I counted 4 "browns" and 3 "reds").

The regular sets can have 8 colors it seems (for terrain, aside from objects, which can have 7 or 8 more).

And of course all the objects of the base graphic set get shifted to the new VGASPECx palette. So yeah, you only get half the total number of colors in the special graphics levels, but the terrain can have almost as many as the regular levels.

It wouldn't make sense to have arbitrary palette rules that aren't used by the game for special graphics levels. If your VGASPECx.dat must conform to a certain standard, then of course all the ones used in the game will be the same way...