Author Topic: Why "Across The Gap" may be harder than "Highland Fling"  (Read 3545 times)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Why "Across The Gap" may be harder than "Highland Fling"
« on: December 06, 2016, 08:09:32 PM »
Generally I'm not a theorist, but this is one kind of topic that I thought would make an interesting read for everyone.

What I would like to talk about are two levels from "Oh No! More Lemmings". Crazy 16's "Across the Gap" (ATG) and Havoc 13's "Highland Fling" (HF) Two levels in two separate difficulty ratings that some people would complain being in the wrong difficulty area. (Well, a lot of levels in this game are kind of out of place anyway). These two levels are what I would consider the worst offenders. So why would more solvers be actually telling the truth and complete a level 57 places up the ladder before this Crazy level?

So, firstly, let's have a look at each level and their respective previews.

Crazy 16: Across the Gap
Number of lemmings that drop: 16
100% to be saved
Release rate: 1
Available time: 03:00
Skills: 3 climbers, 16 floaters, 3 bombers, 16 blockers, 3 builders, 16 bashers, 3 miners, 16 diggers.

Havoc 13: HIGHLAND FLING
Number of lemmings that drop: 80
93% to be saved
Release rate: 5
Available time: 04:00
Skills: 2 bombers, 4 blockers, 10 builders, 1 basher, 1 miner

Well, it all boils down to the differences in the data given in the previews and how the solver approaches these levels. In terms of similarities both levels have:

* Similar skillsets - Bombers, Blockers and Builders.
* Similar starting level design: Both starting platforms have a wall to the right and a hazard to the left.
* Similar concepts: To trap the lemmings while letting one of them do the hard work.

Where they differ greatly is the requirements: You need to save 100% in ATG and 93% in HF. How solvers will approach these two levels is what will make this comparison interesting.

Some spoilery comments (click to show/hide)

So, I hope this is an understandable and intresting read. Any questions or comments would be much appreciated. Thanks for viewing! :)
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Why "Across The Gap" may be harder than "Highland Fling"
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 10:22:16 PM »
I found ATG quite a hard level; that one stumped me for years (Although most did from that game when I was young).
HighLand Fling on the other hand I never played when I was young, now I found it kind of a boring level without much interesting going on (Except the appearance which I like), especially at this place in the game. And I'd agree of course; I think ATG is way harder.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 02:10:21 AM »
Yes, good example. Missorted levels make a huge chunk of ONML feel about equal in difficulty. Crazy has elegant small puzzles, but they aren't easy.

-- Simon

Offline DoubleU

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 05:25:58 AM »
I've often thought there ought to be a way to rate all these levels objectively, like how "Loogaroo" rates game shows, on a combined scale of 1-10: rate them by several different categories and combine.