Author Topic: [Lemmings 2] Quest From Kieran 2 Development Thread  (Read 54677 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: [Lemmings 2] Quest From Kieran 2 {All Tribes + Bonus!}
« Reply #105 on: August 13, 2017, 11:24:58 AM »
Finally the Lost Tribe has found it's way home, too, even though they took some shortcuts. :P

Comments (click to show/hide)

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2017, 08:54:31 PM »
Thanks Nepster. I haven't been active lately but hope to get back into fixing up my pack based on your comments. I've still not really thought about what I'll be doing to the Highland Tribe. I'll respond more directly to your comments eventually.

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2017, 10:25:45 PM »
I've started fixing up levels and have started with the Lost Tribe, so I'll respond to those comments first:
Lost Tribe (click to show/hide)

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2017, 08:02:56 PM »
I've fixed up all of the outstanding issues in the Shadow and Outdoor tribes, as well as the Lost Tribe!

v24 changelog:
  • Outdoor 5 Mud Slinger - Minor Terrain tweaks + Major slowdown in release rate
  • Outdoor 6 Rocky's Horror Show - Even more Steel + minor terrain tweaks
  • Outdoor 7 Life's Ups and Downs - Longer pool of water to fix backroute.
  • Outdoor 8 Take a Hike - Steel up most of those posts.
  • Outdoor 10 Triple Trouble - Added Jumper, Removed Platformer and Bomber, minor terrain tweaks.
  • Shadow 5 Into the Hidden City - Terrain tweaks to fix alternate solution
  • Shadow 9 Roadmenders - Raise height of starting landscape to prevent backroute.
  • Shadow 10 Alley-Oop! - Removed Fencer, Added Stomper, added steel + terrain tweaks + super slow release rate for quality of life

Lost Tribe v03 changelog:
  • Lost Tribe 1 Two Sides to Every Story - Bigger block at the start.
  • Lost Tribe 3 Tall Tales - Chunks of land moved to the right to fix backroute.
  • Lost Tribe 5 Beating a Dead Horse - Level extended to the left a bunch and starting area lowered slightly to prevent minor alternate solution.
  • Lost Tribe 6 Jumping the Shark - Added steel near entrance and to right side of level and made tiny landscape tweak to fix backroute.
  • Lost Tribe 8 Secret Passage - Fix backroute with minor landscape tweak near the entrance.
  • Lost Tribe 9 The Temple of Boom - Fix backroute by adding landscape and steel at the top of the pillar near the Entrance.
  • Lost Tribe 10 The Great Hall of Egypt - Major revisions. Massive simplification, different intended solution, and major skill changes.

TODO List (click to show/hide)

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2017, 07:39:06 PM »
More fixing. This time the Classic, Medieval and Sports tribe get all of their outstanding issues fixed. I have decided to hold off on updating NeoClassic for now as the new Neolemmix level format, when it is released, will no longer use manual steel areas, so there will be some updating needed.

v25 changelog:
  • Classic 3 Round the Bend - Raised steel in middle of level to fixbackroute.
  • Classic 7 Pillar Thriller - Removed land at very bottom of the screen to fix backroute.
  • Classic 9 A Tight Squeeze - Steel below the exit to fix backroute.
  • Medieval 4 Ye Olde Cavern - Added tiny crate that left me personally unable to pull off Nepster's backroute. Maybe it is still possible, but if so, I will leave it in.
  • Medieval 7 Castle Invaders - Level replaced with entirely new level and moved to slot 5.
  • Medieval 9 Medi-Upheaval - Removed roller, added 2 shimmiers, level is now wider + some other minor tweaks. Also, here be dragons.
  • Medieval 10 Laying the Foundations - More skills, more time, more trapdoors, more terrain.
  • Sport 6 Ceausescu's Folly - Widened starting area, raised left-most exit and removed steel above entrance to fix backroute.

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
Re: [Lemmings 2] Quest From Kieran 2 {v26 17th Sep 2017}
« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2017, 07:10:29 PM »
Another version. This one is pretty substantial. This version includes a major Highland revamp, where the builder got swapped out for the slider, and a whole host of levels have been replaced. I also replaced two other levels that I thought were a bit lame. Due to the number of changes to the Highland tribe, and the fact that some levels are new despite having the same name, I'll list every level and state what's changed, or not.

v26 changelog:
  • Highland Revamp
    • Highland 1 Introducing: Highland - New level
    • Highland 2 On the Rebound - No changes
    • Highland 3 A Drop of Scotch - New level
    • Highland 4 What Bagpiper's Deserve - Level is a bit taller, gaps a bit wider, to prevent roper related-backroutes.
    • Highland 5  Zigging While Zagging - No changes
    • Highland 6 Highland Fling - New level
    • Highland 7 Scaling Lem Nevis - Skill and layout changes to avoid big precision twist and make execution of rest of level easier.
    • Highland 8 Hopping Mad - New level
    • Highland 9 School of Hard Rocks - No changes (but used to be in slot 8)
    • Highland 10 Telegraph Pole - New level
  • Medieval 5 Castle Invaders - I realised this level was very similar to another one, so I replaced it (again) with a new level, Invasion of Normandy, and put it at slot 3.
  • Outdoor 7 Life's Ups and Downs - I felt this level was bad, so I replaced with a new level, Jumping Beans, and moved it to slot 6.
  • Space 4 Space Elevator - Layout tweaks and an extra Jet Pack and Bazooka. I am aware of a solution that saves a bazooka, but am not bothered by it.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2017, 08:46:13 PM »
Great to see this much support!

Outdoor race on Thursday, September 21st, 18:00 UTC at www.twitch.tv/simonnaar and www.twitch.tv/geoouw. geoo and I aren't looking at Highland or Bonus-Egyptian until then, allowing more races.

-- Simon

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2017, 09:33:54 PM »
Final chance to get some last-minute fixes done to the outdoor tribe before the race. :)

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 18, 2017, 10:07:52 AM »
Heh, thanks Nepster, always able to find dumb oversights by myself, and so quickly too! I should be able to get fixes out before Thursday.
Comments (click to show/hide)

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
Re: [Lemmings 2] Quest From Kieran 2 {v27 20th Sep 2017}
« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2017, 07:17:59 PM »
Here's another update in advance of tomorrow's stream. A shame I could not get the entirety of my TODO list completed before this release, but this is the shortest it has ever been. Although to be fair, I am sure tomorrow shall bring a whole host of additional items to my list ;)

v27 changelog:
  • Highland 7 Scaling Lem Nevis - I totally forgot that geoo found a crawling route on stream. It's fixed now.
  • Outdoor 5 Mud Slinger - Widened level to fix backroute.
  • Outdoor 6 Jumping Beans - A few more jumpers, swapped bomber for second flame thrower, added some terrain.
  • Outdoor 8 Take a Hike - Big ugly steel wall added to fix backroute.
  • Polar 7 Forging Ahead - Raised exit slightly, readded backroute-fixing steel that for some reason I got rid of at some point.
  • Polar 8 Lair of the Evil Snowman - This lair must be built on top of a volcano, because some snow at the bottom of the level has melted, and some has fallen from the ceiling in front of the exit! Miner added. There are two variant solutions here I'm aware of, one very similar at a certain point to what Nepster has done before, but this time using all skills, and either is sufficiently complex for me.
  • Polar 9 Polar Opposites - This was on my TODO list, but I'm not sure why. Nepster's last solution is pretty much exactly intended. Maybe there was something found on the last stream, but the level has been updated since, so I'm not sure what else it could be. I seem to recall something to do with platformer stacking, so to play it safe I shrunk some gaps and removed 2 platformers. The level takes plenty long enough as it is without watching all those platformers, so it's a win-win.

TODO list (click to show/hide)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2017, 04:16:49 AM »
I've won a race for once. Hohohoohohoho.

I'll be happy to re-race Highland, and to race the extra Egyptian tribe. geoo and I will probably schedule a time in 2 weeks, on shorter notice.

-- Simon

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2017, 06:58:06 AM »
Yeah, sounds good to me, in 2-3 weeks.
This was a really good race, going back and forth all the time. And the levels were a lot of fun, just the crawling ruined some of them a bit.

btw, I found an easier crawling setup for one of the Outdoor levels you might want to fix as well, see attached. Just a roper and a platformer.

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
Re: [Lemmings 2] Quest From Kieran 2 {v28 25th Sep 2017}
« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2017, 10:31:00 PM »
Well here it is. At last. A version where my TODO list is completely empty! Which isn't to say that it will stay that way, of course! Now whatever will I do with all my free time?

v28 changelog:

• Circus 8 Wooly Jumper - This could not be fixed, so replaced it with a new level, Thinking Inside the Box, and moved to slot 7.
  • Outdoor 4 Rocks and Hard Places - Level wider to fix direct backroute, more jumpers, higher release rate
  • Outdoor 5 Mud Slinger - Terrain changes to fix stupid backroutes, planter swapped for another bomber, release rate tweaked.
  • Outdoor 7 Rocky's Horror Show - Major changes to layout, skills and intended solution. Removed Roper and 2 Flame Throwers. Added Platformer, Kayaker, Scooper and a bunch of Jumpers.
  • Outdoor 8 Take a Hike - More steel, more water and terrain tweaks. Removed a roper and a jumper.
  • Outdoor 9 Life's Greater Porpoise - Flipped the level. Platform near entrance raised. Removed a Platformer.
  • Outdoor 10 Triple Trouble - Water under the exit to fix crawling backroute.

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2017, 07:37:41 AM »
Amazing job Kieran! :D I have only watched Simon's and geoo's streams but now I'm starting to feel the urge to play these levels myself.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 27, 2017, 04:55:00 PM »
Attached the solutions to the modified Highland levels.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)