Author Topic: Hmm, Fake objects in Cheapo...  (Read 9162 times)

Offline Isu

• View Profile
Hmm, Fake objects in Cheapo...
« on: August 08, 2005, 11:30:53 PM »
I was just trying to make a level in cheapo, but in order for the level to work, I need fake water. Now, I can get fake entrances, exits and traps, but when I try to get fake water it doesnt want to know. I can assign the water as fake, but when I play the level the lemmings still drown in it. My guess is that you can't have fake constant objects but, I don't know. Is there a way around this without creating a new style, since this level will be in Style Trial, I'd prefer to use this style.

the guest

Re: Hmm, Fake objects in Cheapo...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 11:52:03 PM »
Quote from: Isu  link=1123540253/0#0 date=1123543853
Now, I can get fake entrances, exits and traps

That's interesting, since back when I helped Peter Spada port his levels from the first, older Cheapo to the current version, I remember very distinctly that fake exits don't work.

My guess is that you'll probably be out of luck on this, unless Peter knows something no one else knows.  Incidentally, is it really so necessary to use fake water?  To me, fake water is basically screaming "cheap trick" (and probably less effective, now that you mentioned here that it would be used  ;)), though of course you're free to make whatever kinds of level you feel like.

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 05:27:33 AM »
Quote from: the guest  link=1123540253/0#1 date=1123545123
Incidentally, is it really so necessary to use fake water?

In relation to the level title and what the level actually is supposed to resemble, then yes.

Quote from: the guest  link=1123540253/0#1 date=1123545123
To me, fake water is basically screaming "cheap trick" (and probably less effective, now that you mentioned here that it would be used  ;)), though of course you're free to make whatever kinds of level you feel like.

No, it's for visual purposes only (Or to make the level look like what it is supposed to). However the water MUST be fake (as the lemmings fall into it). The water doesn't have to be there, but it adds to what the level is supposed to look like. Although I'll have to leave the water out if I can't sort it.

the guest

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 08:43:23 AM »
Would pasting the graphics of the water as terrain be an acceptable solution?  Obviously it'll change the way the level plays a little (or maybe a lot), just wondering.

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 06:17:51 PM »
The editor assumes that anything pasted that isn't black is terrain, and pasting it would mean that the lemmings would fall ONTO the water, Not through it. Also, the animation frames won't play. However, that is the best alterntive I've heard so far. Thanks.

Maybe, I could mix the object and terrain so that the water animation plays, while having terrain behind it, or somethin'. I know how to make invisible terrain in cheapo, so that shouldn't be much of a problem.

the guest

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 11:01:10 PM »
Quote from: Shvegait  link=1123540253/0#5 date=1123631207
Why don't you just make a new style that has a separate water object that is simply a decorative animation (Constant Harmless)?

Because [color added for highlighting]

Quote from: Isu  link=1123540253/0#0 date=1123543853
My guess is that you can't have fake constant objects but, I don't know. Is there a way around this without creating a new style, since this level will be in Style Trial, I'd prefer to use this style.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 11:46:47 PM »
Why don't you just make a new style that has a separate water object that is simply a decorative animation (Constant Harmless)?

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 12:32:13 AM »
I usually read entire posts, I swear X_X