Author Topic: Let's make some music  (Read 10895 times)

JasonXV

Let's make some music
« on: August 05, 2005, 11:11:32 PM »
Hi! I'm JasonXV!

You may remember me from such polls as "Level themes" in the General Section, and "Mommy, why are those man's eyes so red?"

I'm designing some levels for Cheapo (and experimenting with making style files) and I wonder if anyone can suggest some really creepy songs!

ie The Cure - Lullaby!

OMG I can just imagine a version of that in the original Lemmings!

Can ya help?

Or can ya not? :O

Poo on you! >.<

hehe

JasonXV

the guest

Re: Let's make some music
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 11:50:51 PM »
I have absolutely no idea what exactly you're requesting.  Are you merely requesting for which music might be creepy and good for Lemmings use, or are you actually asking someone to provide MIDI files?

If you already know the exact music you're looking for and just need a MIDI for it, I'd suggest search the Internet by the title of the music.

Otherwise, if you don't even have any idea of what music you want, well, maybe someone here can suggest something, but "creepy" is fairly general and subjective.

I think the Lemmus styles (the style that has the MIDIs copied from the Windows version of Lemmings) does include a badly sequenced MIDI for the Fun Special level (BEAST...).  If that's the kind of creepy you're thinking of, I can direct you to a slightly better MIDI of that music.

Other than that, I'd suggest that you think of some video games you've played.  Many probably has something that suits your needs.  For example, Super Mario Brothers, the "castle" theme (you know, in levels like 1-4) conceivably counts as "creepy".  Then find a MIDI thru search, say look at www.vgmusic.com.

JasonXV

What, are you thick or something?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 07:42:54 AM »
I said suggest creepy songs, I didn't ask for MIDI >.<

I often wonder if people use guest accounts so that no one knows that they are dyslexic and can not read a simple little request.

All I asked for was for some suggestions on creepy songs. JEEBUS! Is that so hard?

Ta
JasonXV

tumble_weed

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 11:30:42 AM »
I think the main reason that the guest didn't know what you're talking about is because your post was slightly ambiguous as the title suggests that you want people to make music, but you are asking for suggestions for music, as well as this you also mentioned the song Lullaby, which could be interpreted that you have already decided on a song.

Also guest did make a few suggestions if you read his entire post. He suggested the Beast of a level song as well as the castle music from Mario.

Maybe you could help people some more by actually telling us what exactly you mean by creepy. Maybe explain what the style file would look like and it would be easier for people to think of suggestions.

JasonXV

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 12:06:34 PM »
I'm sorry, I thought creepy meant spine-chilling and frightening. Pardon me for thinking that it may have meant the equivalent of the Barney the Dinosaur theme.

I did see the guest's suggestions, all I am saying is I wanted some suggestions and I'm getting more than I asked for.

And really good suggestions by the way, I'm going to use SMB Brothers' <Chateau Bowser> music in one of the levels!!! :D Cool idea!

By the way, never judge a book on its cover.
And so on the same token never judge a thread by its name.

This doesn't apply to the Lemmings SNES and NES game paks. They look so corny, but they're rather good games.

But yeh, creepy! Come on, if you don't know what creepy means, you must have been living under a rock or something. I'll let you define creepy!

And just cos I said "Lullaby" doesn't mean I have chosen, or I wouldn't have posted this thread, which may as well be deleted for what good it has proven to be.

I'm prolly going overboard, but seriously, don't read beyond what I said. If I asked you to build me a dinghy and I found you replicated the Titanic, of course I'm gonna sink you ;)

It doesn't matter what the style is, I just asked for suggestions, not a complete dossier.

Sorry for my rudeness 8-)

Ta
JasonXV

the guest

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 03:41:55 PM »
Quote from: JasonXV  link=1123283493/0#4 date=1123329994
I'm sorry, I thought creepy meant spine-chilling and frightening.

I only hope that you'd never become a parent, if you would equate the "Beast of a Level" music or the SMB's castle music to "Barney the Dinosaur".  O_o

They might not exactly be "spine-chilling and frightening", but "Barney the Dinosaur"?!?  Surely you must be joking.

I'm actually trying to help, but since I'm not sure if you appreciate it, oh well.  I might note that so far no one else has anything to say, quite possibly because they too were confused what you were asking for, until you cleared it up a little in your reply.

On that note about "not judging a thread by its name", your topic clearly says "let's make some music".  If I were to take your advice to not "read beyond what you said", I'd think that you are trying to get someone to create MIDIs for you.  ;P  Contradictions, anyone?

-----------------

I'd also add that most music that people listen to are generally not particularly "spine-chilling".  Hence you'd probably need to fall back to background music from horror movies and/or video games.  Hence my suggestions, which are by no means representative.

the guest

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2005, 03:52:40 PM »
Ok, I just reread the thread and noticed that I missed the interlude with TumbleWeed, so I thought the 3rd post by JasonXV was directed entirely to me, and my replies assumed that.

Still, I do stand by everything I said above.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2005, 03:55:44 PM »

What? I think this is ridiculous. Your first step is getting people to click on your thread in the first place. It's true that this is a small forum, but if you've participated in larger forums, you're not going to click on a thread like "i hav a queston", or "help!!!!!". Thread titles should be clear and titled appropriately, if you want serious feedback. And if people are used to appropriately-named threads, they will make assumptions that your title is appropriately named...

And the *worst* is thread titles that have nothing to do with the thread. It can be such a let down, but usually it's just people looking for attention.

Anyway, "Creepy song suggestions?" would be a better title than "Let's make some music"...

I'd also like to point out that your analogy does not hold. If the saying were "Never just a book by its title", then perhaps your follow-up would make sense. But why would you buy a book called "American History" when the book actually talks about African history...?

the guest

Re: Barney the Dinosaur!
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2005, 04:15:17 PM »
Under normal circumstances, I probably wouldn't even bother to make this post here, but I figure it might be beneficial to other people besides JasonXV, so:

Here are some examples of music that JasonXV apparently thinks are like Barney the Dinosaur :P:

http://www.geocities.com/guestlevels/lemmings/creepy/creepy1.mid
http://www.geocities.com/guestlevels/lemmings/creepy/creepy2.mid
http://www.geocities.com/guestlevels/lemmings/creepy/creepy3.mid
http://www.geocities.com/guestlevels/lemmings/creepy/creepy4.mid
http://www.geocities.com/guestlevels/lemmings/creepy/creepy5.mid

No, I only made the first one.  The rest are downloaded or copied.  By the way, the last two are actually professionally made, since it was copied directly from an actual commercial game.

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2005, 05:14:27 PM »
Quote from: JasonXV  link=1123283493/0#0 date=1123283492
I'm designing some levels for Cheapo (and experimenting with making style files) and I wonder if anyone can suggest some really creepy songs!

Quote from: JasonXV  link=1123283493/0#2 date=1123314174
I said suggest creepy songs, I didn't ask for MIDI >.<

You may not have asked for MIDI, but if your making Cheapo styles... MIDI is what you'll get.

JasonXV

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2005, 11:50:56 PM »
JESUS CHRIST PEOPLE! Just give it a ****ing rest!

I asked for ****ing creepy songs, not a ****ing lecture as to the wonders of the title-universe!

It's called creativity! Get used to it!

And sure the title is a tad ambiguous, but if you want to reply entirely based on the title, then I shall simply assume you all have need of better spectacles. Obviously the small print of the posts is too small for you to be bothered squinting for.

And yes, MIDI is what you get. But did I ask for people to post MIDI? Did I ask for people to talk about seinding them? NO I DID NOT!

Get it through your heads that ALL I ASKED FOR was SUGGESTIONS! Not a flipping lecture!

Now I will thank you to keep your philosophical theories to yourselves and just answer me freakin question :@

TA!
JasonXV

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2005, 11:56:49 PM »
Take it easy... And remember that you'll only get help if people want to give it to you.

JasonXV

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2005, 11:58:01 PM »
Oh don't get sarcky with me :P

And if people don't want to help, they best just say nothing at all don't they? Rather than get cheeky with me  :D

All said and done, everyone knows exactly what I mean. Perhaps I mistake you all. I misunderstand

Because you have to pay so much attention to every event that happens in Lemmings, its made you very pedantic hehe. The best detectives started out with Lemmings :D

Ta
JasonXV

the guest

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2005, 04:07:02 AM »
Alright, forget it, I'm removing the files if you haven't already download them.

For someone who's asking for help, you have been rather ungrateful and a little rude.  You don't deserve anyone's help here.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2005, 05:02:16 AM »
RAGE!
=8O

JasonXV

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2005, 05:24:20 AM »
OH for the love of...

ALL I ASKED WERE FOR SOME FREAKIN SUGGESTIONS! IF YOU'RE GOING TO BE USELESS AND PERSONAL, JUST FREAKIN DON'T SAY ANYTHING!

Ugh someone just delete this thread, or at least rename it to "Instead of helping, just bleat bleat bleat", because rather than be helpful, you're just being as unhelpful as you can! :@

Stop posting your life stories and just answer the freakin question, or someone delete this thread. If you can't do one simple thing, than just don't do anything at all. Don't waste the space on the server, just freakin' give some suggestions. Or is that impossible? I'm sure with the way things are going, it is.

Pardon my rudeness 8-) This is not my week

TA!
JasonXV

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2005, 08:11:41 AM »
Quote from: JasonXV  link=1123283493/15#15 date=1123392260
Ugh someone just delete this thread...

Pardon my rudeness 8-) This is not my week

Actually I was just going to sugguest this...

May I also suggest punching a pillow or yelling at a wall to reduce stress/anger.  ;)

the guest

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2005, 09:44:45 AM »
Quote from: JasonXV  link=1123283493/15#15 date=1123392260
Stop posting your life stories and just answer the freakin question

At one point I did, 5 suggestions in fact, if you read here.  But as you insist that no one is answering your "freakin question", I can only imagine that those suggestions were, for reasons you haven't told anyone, somehow not what you're looking for, so I took the files back down.

Seeing that my attempt to help means nothing to you, I figure I might as well take your advice about "saying nothing at all". *shrugs*

tumble_weed

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2005, 11:54:39 AM »
I am just going to lock this thread.

and Jason, if you are going to request something please don't harrass people, no one here is obliged in any way to help you at all...Please try to act more calmly if you don't get the response you're after. If you make any more abusive threads like this, you'll probably end up being banned...just remember that.

Andi

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2005, 09:28:07 PM »
Quote from: tumble_weed  link=1123283493/15#18 date=1123415679
I am just going to lock this thread.

:agree:

And Jason has just been warned because of rudeness. If it isn't your week just stay away from this board.