Author Topic: Millas - (Project Freedom Planet X Lemmings) - 221 Levels So Far, Help Wanted!  (Read 53380 times)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
Millas - (Project Freedom Planet X Lemmings) - NCFC IS LIVE!
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2017, 04:41:55 AM »
Millas Booth
Demo 2.8 is up on the website
Change log
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
Re: Millas - (Project Freedom Planet X Lemmings) - Rant + Update thing...
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2017, 01:28:45 AM »
If I come off a s angry or anything, I apologize for it...

I'm stressed, I truly am, to the point of getting major headaches (I'm not kidding), ATM I feel demotivated to work on Millas for the time being and I'll tell you why....

First the Minor stuff

In Defense of Sonic Forces + Sonic Burnout & Knuckles

First off, Avoid the Sonic Fanbase like the black plague. If I can describe it kindly, they're essentially the Religion of Classic Sonic. I know that Sonic Forces is a painfully average game but its no Sonic Boom or '06 or hell even Mighty no'9. The game is honestly overhated. and It's timing is just the worst, I can't Like nor Hate Sonic Forces but I can't feel neutral about it.

Plus I feel overwhelmed about Sonic in general and yes this extends to stuff like "Freedom Planet" or "Spark the Electric Jester" just I feel annoyed by it and I just need a break. But at least here's the Sonic Hacking Contest for 2017 and because of the added Quality Criteria its looking great.

Family Matters

Aside from my dad's temper problems, I seem to get more angry during this time and I don't know why but I don't like it at all. Plus I also have thanks giving to worry about.

And now for the Big one and the other other reason for my hiatus

Why I'm not looking forward to updating into the new format

First off I don't like the new format so far, Its fine when I get things working but setting it up...It's not as bad as Lemmini But its pretty d*mn close

1.The blank level folder should be there from the start! the player shouldn't have to make the folder themselves, and on top of that, why not pre-package some Sample levels with it too?
2.While I like how things are loaded externally (Which means, Milla Voice Clips will be added into the pack once and if I go new format) its intimidating to set up and I can't feel but dread it and speaking of dreading something....
3.I always dread whenever a [Discussion] topic comes up, the only thing I can think about is :devil: CULL CULL CULL! :devil: and that leads to "GREAT! I HAVE TO REMOVE THIS TOO?!"
and lastly what really set me off this morning...

My title for the new format
I Hate you GigaLem:The Update!
This sh*t will literally break me! It'll break my spirit because I have to go back and do something ALL OVER AGAIN!! and on top of that the reason why I don't want certain pieces to get removed is because of the following
1.Shading so the piece and on further subject stage looks better than before!
2.Coloring, it means having other flavors in the graphic set and not having those means you'll get bored of pasting the same color here and there
3.Cosmetic entrances, Apparently its taboo to have more than one entrance in a new format set, thats why the Dreadnought Graphic set is missing its entrances. I can't be without those each entrance represents their respective stage and removing those is like removing polish. plus I can't think of an entrance that's all four combined

not to mention, I'm still missing the Horizon Starport set in the new format. I NEED THAT SET IF I WANT TO UPDATE.
the worse part is that i'm a one man team for the most of the development, I would ask Icho for level porting and fixing what's broken but he's busy with his pack. I know it may come off as lazy but, I don't want to fix 80+ levels and what not. It leads me to the point of either continuing the pack in old format and not update it without someone's help, Scrapping or Rebooting the project. or leaving the pack in someone else's hands and...I don't want to do any of that.

And lastly, I don't want to call anyone out, but Nepster I'm sorry, I really am but you're not helping my case. I know updating something is not easy but Does it need to be harder?! Are you actively trying to make it harder?!
and to be very honest, I was right when I thought that this format shift was gonna drive me insane. I mean look at this post, I'm going insane thinking about what to do with level pack, This is my passion project, my edge, MY DRIVE! and if this ends up getting halted by a super high brick wall. I'll be heart broken with nothing to do with no motivation. I want to finish this pack. I really do, I have 80 of the possible 130 levels made, I want to make FP2 Graphic sets when those surface. and I'm just lost, confused, and flustered with what to do.

I'm sorry if I sound bitter, rude or nasty but I needed to let this out of my system. I don't know what else to do at this point :'(

I'll decide after I think it over....Until then, I hope you're updating better than me -GigaLem

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Millas - (Project Freedom Planet X Lemmings) - NCFC Demo is up!
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2017, 01:49:16 AM »
I can offer you help with the conversion, as I really want this pack to come out. I saw a very high quality when I played through the demo and loved the work so far.

When the time comes in the future, when the changes that need to happen are final:
I need intended solution replays, the pack and the files for the single levels in the stable version. I have no experience with custom sprites, but I can at least help with the levels after I'm done with my own stuff of course. If you still need it at that point.

Until then I think you can still talk to Nepster about the converted tilesets and find a solution. I can't see a reason why a tileset can't have different exits/hatches. I can see a problem with the number of tiles in one tileset exploding though and there I think a middleway could be found. A few tiles will certainly be redundant but maybe not in the scale Nepster set on them.
I am also interested in these tilesets being successfully converted as I am thinking about making a few levels with them for United, too. (and I would like to have access to all different dreathnought hatches as well ;P)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2017, 01:58:36 AM »
And lastly, I don't want to call anyone out, but Nepster I'm sorry, I really am but you're not helping my case. I know updating something is not easy but Does it need to be harder?! Are you actively trying to make it harder?!

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking at this moment. In the beginning I just considered myself ungrateful, because obviously anything developed completely from scratch will have more issues than a currently stable thing at first. I know fixing all this stuff takes time and requires feedback from users, which is why I tried playing the Halloween pack and Nepster Lems in the new formats version. On the Halloween pack, I simply got stuck; on Nepster Lems, tbe only difference I noticed was the imho uglier level preview screen, plus the level selection menu which now looks like an outgame-thing by Windows rather than a part of the Lemmings game like it used to do.

And that's quite symptomatic:
@Nepster: I'm pretty sure everyone here on the forum has loads of respect for the effort you put into this project, and understanding for all the technical problems arising with this. Currently however, it looks like a great deal of this effort goes into actively making the game worse, rather than the game just becoming temporarily worse "by accident", and only as a transition phase before ultimately coming out on top of what it has been before. I know you want to improve it as far as your personal standpoint is concerned, but please just take a look at GigaLem's post and tell me whether you consider this an improvement.

I'll decide after I think it over....Until then, I hope you're updating better than me -GigaLem

I probably am, because I'm not doing that, currently ;) . At first, I wanted to create an entirely new pack specifically for the new formats version, but those ideas would have required jumpers and shimmiers. Instead, shortly afterwards I had another stupid radiation-based idea, and there goes the ambition, I'm creating that new thing for 10.13 as well :) .

Hence, if not updating feels "healthier" for you (quite literally, as I hear it from your post ;) ), especially at the moment, then why stress yourself out with it?
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2017, 02:58:14 PM »
(hugs for GigaLem)

I'm sorry you're under so much stress. :(
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
Re: Millas - (Project Freedom Planet X Lemmings) - Some news at least...
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2017, 12:12:07 AM »
I'll be getting the levels together for @Nessy to port at somepoint, the process of upgrading might be solved but I'm unsure...

to @nepster, sorry if I've been harsh towards you about the update, and in IRC but why did you remove the entrances in the dreadnought set and why isn't the starport set available in the new format yet? Icho sees no probablem with the different entrances in the set and he would like to use em, I need those entrances to fit the astectic of the level. I can't ahve those levels ported with out the entrances

i'll update once I get some answers

Update:Dispite the graphic set having the entrances, Nepster didn't get those, I'm not sure how to explain that. oh and the starport set is available in the new format

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
Re: Millas - (Project Freedom Planet X Lemmings) - Xmas update
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2017, 02:27:13 AM »
I wish christmas was going better for me, at least im not sick anymore...

So what have you been doing?
Making my Holiday pack, but it may show up late again XuX'

How much Longer are you sticking to the old format?
I have three objectives to get done.
1.Finish Wafflem's Old levels, then send them to Nessy
2.begin work on the Purple and Desert Redesigns
3.make the mini pack "Lemmings Discovery Vol.1" to show off the two mania themed sets plom made, and the redesigns in action

Since I've been seeing more people migrating, hopefully I can get used to the New format because right now the format feels, all over the place and im not used to that
Reaction as follows

But once Porting is done, Millas should continue under the new format with Nessy added to the staff for the project.
goals for the new format
-Sprites for the new skills when those are implemented
-Milla Voice clips
-FP sounds for the pick up skills

Anyways, figured I'd shed some news to keep this project afloat but with that said. When the new year hits, new horizons will come.
and Lastly Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. -Andrew Wallace "GigaLem"

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2018, 04:14:39 AM »
As I move on to my next thing to get done in the old format, I tried making a level in the new format and I have to say. I love the new editor.

this is the result

"A beautiful day for swimming"

As an announcement for the project
From 2016 (v1.43) - 2017 (v10.10.10) was the Alpha phase
From 2017 (v10.10.10) to 2018 (v10.13.18) was the Beta phase
for the change in formats once I do so, I'd like to annouce that the New Format phase of Millas will be called the Delta phase. Any demo builds and test builds for Millas will be referred to as Delta Builds.

I'll be wrapping up the beta phase very soon, thanks for your patience :)

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
I have finished every single one of wafflem's unfinished levels together.
The last thing I need to do is send the levels to Nessy along with the replays.
once all the levels are converted I will continue the pack in the Delta phase
This is the last post on the beta phase, From July 10th 2017 to April 16th 2018. I've made a good load of progress.

To be quite honest, It feels great to make levels again. And the Puppies will see you soon in the new format.

Offline 607

• View Profile
From alpha to beta to delta? Where's gamma? :P

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
From alpha to beta to delta? Where's gamma? :P
I get the joke, but delta makes more sense in mathematical terms

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
And now the levels have been sent to Nessy.
I will now make a list of notes for the first Delta Build Demo

1.Redo the Newborn rank, make it easier and move some of the tougher levels to higher ranks
2.Have sprites made for Swimmer, Stacker, and Platformer as well as Shimmier and Jumper whenever those are created  (let me know if I missed any)
3.Gather all the beta tracks and update the OST link.
4.FP sound effects. (Milla Voice clips, and sounds if they fit)

I think that's about it.

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
Okay, conversions have been slow for a while and nessy may need your help. Are you up to converting levels from the old format to the new? are you up for fixing broken levels? Are you will to put yourself on the front lines for the FPxLemmings team?

All you have to do is PM Nessy, and he'll give you what you need plus any levels that haven't been converted yet. He'll tell you everything you'll need to know.
Plus I recommend saving images of the old format versions of the levels to give you an idea of what goes where.

If you end up taking the job, PM me once you do. I'll add your name to the credits of the pack. Thank you :)

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
The Progress on the Millas conversions is almost finished, only a few levels missing.

One level has problems being converted, the one called "intrusion detected" the report I got from nessy is that it brings up an error when trying to open it. Nessy told me he's trying to see what he can do to restore the level IIRC. I won't confirm until it is deemed otherwise.

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
I'm gonna bring this list up again and expand upon it because the conversion progress is looking great

All levels converted Done
Avalice themed pickup skills Done
New milla themed sprites Done, expect the swimmer to have a doggy paddle
New Millas logo. Done, Check it out
-Redo the Newborn rank, make it easier and move some of the tougher levels to higher ranks Practically finished, just adding the extra touches and I'll have to figure out where to put the old tutorial rank levels
-Gather all the beta tracks and update the OST link. I think I might have all of them at this point
-FP sound effects. (Milla Voice clips, and sounds if they fit) Trailer should be confirmation at this point :)
and the final thing to kick off the Delta phase
-First Delta Demo IT ALL CHECKS OUT! ^w^