Site Boards > Site Discussion

Ability to delete your own posts?

<< < (3/3)

ccexplore:
There is an admin setting under Forum > Boards that (based on the terse help text) appears to turn "delete" of topics and posts into "recycling" (which I guess means moving) such deleted topics and posts to a specific board.  Obviously we haven't tried it, but if it works the way I imagine, presumably this offers a way to undelete.  There is also a "remove old posts" manual forum maintenance action that can conceivably be utilized for a sort of "empty the recycle bin" action for such a recycling board.

That said, I do tend to echo geoo in that the need to delete an entire topic is infrequent enough, "just ask a mod to do it" seems a reasonably sufficient option.

Simon:
Thanks for the feedback!

I've enabled the recycling feature, although not 100 % sure if that's better than disabling topic deletion.

The Recycling board is visible to Global Mods and Admins. Deleted topics are moved to Recycling. Any topic on recycling "appears to be either missing or off limits" to regular users. Global mods/admins can then delete topics on Recycling for good, or move them back, or split them etc. as needed. I tested (regular user posts topic, admin replies, regular user deletes, see topic reappear on Recycling), works well.

Thus, I've kept the allowance to delete topics for regular users.

I'm still open to rediscuss. I like that you can remove your own unwanted topics without replies. But maybe you consider this recycling weird? It still appears to give regular users the power to make your posts vanish. Apparent data loss is nasty.

-- Simon

namida:
For testing purposes, I deleted a TEST ACCOUNT topic on the Staff Board.

Result: Topics deleted by staff also get moved to the Recycling board. This is good - although accidental deletes are unlikely, having an extra line of defence against them is never a bad idea.

I also observed that topics that get moved there via deletion, may not immediately show up in the board's topic list. The "Empty File Cache" option in the admin panel (under Forum Maintanence) seems to fix this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version