Author Topic: Lemmings Plus Omega II - Development Topic  (Read 14188 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus Omega II - Development Topic
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2017, 03:45:45 PM »
Latest test version fixed backroutes in 13 levels. There is a 14th level that has a borderline solution that I'm still undecided as to whether I'll fix or not.

There are 11 levels that remain unsolved by any of the testers (not including backroute solutions that have now been fixed), all of which are in Sharp. The "borderline" level mentioned above, the intended solution also has not yet been found. Two of these 11 levels are in fact included in the demo ("It's Zombie Time!" and "Broken Arrow"); to the best of my knowledge no one has solved them there either. Neither have had modifications since the latest demo update. Two of the unsolved levels - which happen to be the last two levels in the pack - I would not be entirely surprised if they remain unsolved right up until the public release, given that these are very hard. To be fair, the tester who has in the past usually solved the most levels in my packs during prerelease testing, hasn't joined the team this time. Maybe I should ask them if they want to, even though this would mean 5 testers altogether which is an unusually high amount for me.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2017, 07:38:09 PM »
Testing is taking a bit longer than expected, partly due to that backroutes are only just starting to be found in the harder levels, and partly due to my own slackness.

In the meantime, I updated the demo again. As well as including new backroute fixes for "Odyssey" and "Then Came The Lemming", and correcting the order of the levels (at least in line with the latest test version), I also added one more level, and it's another one that involves fencers. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline joshescue18

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2017, 10:33:36 PM »
I solved the first eight.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2017, 01:15:22 AM »
All of your solutions are at least acceptable, most are intended. :D w00t!
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2017, 05:05:06 PM »
Latest test version update only had three backroute fixes. :) Of course, that doesn't guarantee the next one won't have more, but it's a good sign that we're getting close to ready for release.

In the meantime, here's a final level teaser. This is the final level's minimap... changed from the normal color to white, so the tileset isn't obvious (though I did mention earlier that it's an LPIV set, not an LPV one). :P The attached image is 4x zoomed.

This does give away the size of the level, at least approximately (it'd place it at somewhere between 800x392 and 815x399; the actual size is 800x396). You might notice it's actually quite small compared to LPIV's (960x480), LPV's (976x480), and even LPO's (480x736) final levels. However, smaller doesn't always mean easier... or even shorter... ;) It's also one of only three levels in LPO2 to have a three-digit lemming count (and one of the other two only has a three-digit count if you include cloners), and the only one with a three-digit save requirement. At least it has no time limit, no 99 release rate, and no lemmings headed for immediate danger. :P

And yes, it's the same level that I said back near when I started this pack I had made with the intention of using as the final level one. :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:21:10 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2017, 03:01:49 PM »
Ten more backroute fixes just sent out... only for four new backroutes to instantly appear. :P

Still, it's getting to the point where less levels are having backroutes, and it's mostly a few specific troublesome levels.

I've updated the demo with the latest versions of all the levels. Please do note that there may be issues with the screen start position on some levels if you're not using the V10.13.XX experimentals.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2017, 11:03:17 AM »
As of some replays I saw just now, every level has been solved, although some of them do remain "only solved via backroutes". Every level that's in the demo has been solved via the intended solution or at least an acceptable solution.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2017, 02:19:27 PM »
I've just sent out what I intend to make the last test version. Very few levels are still giving backroute-related issues, which is good - only four levels currently have the status of "not solved except via backroutes that are nowhere near the intended solution" now. I've also probably completed the list of talismans now (I say "probably" because there's one case where I might get rid of the talisman and make it the only solution, and if so, I'll need to add one more).

Release should not be very far away now. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2017, 04:07:18 PM »
Release is very close now. I've decided on the final level order (and will update the demo list on the first page in a second). I still need to fix a few backroutes (four levels - one in Coarse, three in Sharp). After that, it'll be ready for release. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 01:41:27 AM »
I've been thinking about trying an LP of it when it comes out, or at least as much of it as I can manage before I get too stuck to continue. Maybe I'll get through the first rank at least, but if the difficulty is on par with Lemmings Plus 4 (or harder) then that doesn't seem likely (haven't beaten Smooth 20 yet). I'm still gonna try regardless.

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 03:08:11 AM »
I've been thinking about trying an LP of it when it comes out, or at least as much of it as I can manage before I get too stuck to continue.

Alright! Another lemmings LPer! I will say from what I've played of the demo, it gets quite hard, but even if you don't finish it would still be enjoyable to watch. :thumbsup:
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 04:09:13 AM »
I've been thinking about trying an LP of it when it comes out, or at least as much of it as I can manage before I get too stuck to continue. Maybe I'll get through the first rank at least, but if the difficulty is on par with Lemmings Plus 4 (or harder) then that doesn't seem likely (haven't beaten Smooth 20 yet). I'm still gonna try regardless.

I would say Lemmings Plus Omega 2 is probably my hardest pack yet.

If you're looking for something challenging but not too hard to LP, while still making use of NeoLemmix features, the first Lemmings Plus Omega might be a good choice. It does get very hard near the end, but for the most part it's not too bad.
My Lemmings projects