Author Topic: Rubix's puzzles (D Lix)  (Read 16350 times)

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
Rubix's puzzles (D Lix)
« on: October 02, 2016, 01:28:34 AM »
Thanks.
And here is my singleplayer stuff all solved in D-Lix !  About 20 maps needed modifications due to using timers as the puzzle, so I redesigned some of those, otherwise the physics were completely fine for everything else and worked well.   

So there are 2 downloads
-Version5:  Singleplayer Epic Adventure+Parallel Universe
-Replays for all those maps

Community Collab Project #1 is now (2018) also included in the main D Lix download.

Lost: I've kept out the last bonus pack called 'LOST' for now, a 16 level bonus. I want to change quite a few things to it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 06:10:43 PM by Simon »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Rubix's puzzles, migrating to D Lix
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 03:17:15 AM »
Awesome, thanks! :lix-grin:

I have some recommendations before we merge the levels into the main release.

Bonfire becomes deadly: I'm planning to turn most decoration (moon, sun, shovel, pickaxe, cart) into solid terrain. The bonfire in Matt's beach set will become a fire trap.

You use the bonfire in some levels as decoration. When the bonfire becomes a trap, it will break replays, or render levels unsolvable. Lix 0.6.17 is out, see next post.

File renaming: Your filenames aren't reminders of the level names. It's good style to have expressive filenames. You could keep a prefix for ordering still; alternatively, create ordering files _order.X.txt in the rankings, like the lemforum pack has.

If we agree on a file-naming scheme, I can write a script to auto-rename all your level files and replays.

4 levels lack a replay: For Lix 0.6.16, the automated replay checker says: 154 of 158 levels are solvable, 4 may be unsolvable.
Statistics from 158 replays:
    1x (NO-LEV): replay ignored, it names a level file that doens't exist.
    3x (FAIL): replay names an existing level file, but doesn't solve it.

Result,Replay filename,Level filename,Player,Saved,Required,Skills,Updates
(NO-LEV),01 Pleasant/zi-Rubix-2016-09-08-103050.txt,01 Pleasant/zi.txt,Rubix,0,20,0,0
(FAIL),04 Nightmare/b3-Rubix-2016-09-24-173640.txt,04 Nightmare/b3.txt,Rubix,97,99,11,5415
(FAIL),03 Perplexing/u-Rubix-2016-09-18-100149.txt,03 Perplexing/u.txt,Rubix,58,80,8,5772
(FAIL),03 Perplexing/a3-Rubix-2016-09-17-102031.txt,03 Perplexing/a3.txt,Rubix,68,75,14,5324

Can you provide fresh replays for these four levels? See next post for the full list of breakages in 0.6.17 with the deadly bonfire.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 12:55:38 PM by Simon »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 12:51:05 PM »
Results for your levels on 0.6.17, where the bonfire is deadly and shovels, axes, carts become solid terrain:

These 11 levels have no proof:
levels/single/rubix/01 Pleasant/h.txt
levels/single/rubix/01 Pleasant/jk.txt
levels/single/rubix/02 Sinister/j.txt
levels/single/rubix/02 Sinister/zb.txt
levels/single/rubix/03 Perplexing/a3.txt
levels/single/rubix/03 Perplexing/s7.txt
levels/single/rubix/03 Perplexing/u.txt
levels/single/rubix/04 Nightmare/b3.txt
levels/single/rubix/04 Nightmare/u2.txt
levels/single/rubix/04 Nightmare/zb.txt
levels/single/rubix/05 Aftermath/Parallel/8Goldmine.txt

Download the most recent Lix version and examine the replays.

-- Simon

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 07:40:05 PM »
Ok no prob, will work on that.

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 07:52:20 PM »
in perplexing:

a3 - Justification
u - Tunnel Vision

and
Nightmare: b3

There are no issues with these.  Replays finish fine.
?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 08:02:14 PM by RubiX »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 08:59:54 PM »
I still get these 11 failing replays.

Please run the replay against the pointed-to level, not against the level included in the replay file. In the replay browser, there's a button "pointed-to" for that.

-- Simon

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 09:04:59 PM »
I dont know whats going on then, as I just had a test of that with a3 (justification)  clicked pointedTo and the replay ran and finished fine still.

Ive already edited and played the other maps that had things like bonfires/minecarts etc changed, so those clearly had to be fixed.
No idea why we are seeing something different for some other maps though, im using your most updated version which i downloaded today also.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 09:46:25 PM »
Okay, smart.

The automatic replay verification believes that the replay fails, but the replay solves. The reason is that the level takes longer than 5 minutes after the final skill assignment. The auto-replay checker doesn't know whether the game position is stuck, or whether the level will be won eventually, and aborts after 5 minutes with whatever has been saved until then.

When your levels do that, reduce the number of lix. After the player has finished the route, there's no point in watching many more lix spawn and exit in slow intervals.

Justification 75/75 can become 15/15 with the same solution, I don't think that would introduce any backroutes.

-- Simon

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 02:54:57 PM »
Ok heres all level files with all solves updated.
Think ive got it all sorted, let me know.

Rub

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 11:46:44 PM »
Your levels are 100 % replay-covered. :lix-grin:

I have renamed the levels like so: "FeLIX Baumgartner saves the day!" was "g.txt" in your archive, and becomes "felixbaumgartner.txt". Everything with 18 or more letters is shortened to 16 letters before the extension. To keep your level order, I have added a file "_order.X.txt" in each rank. This is a special file for the game, it enforces the your old order of levels.

I have renamed the ranks from "01 Pleasant" to "Pleasant", and ordered them with an "_order.X.txt" too.

The replays point to the renamed levels. The automatic replay checker still says that all your levels are solvable.

See attachment. Are you okay with these renamings? Some filenames are cut off in the middle of a word, like "startthinkingstr.txt", that's because I invented a renaming rule for automation, I didn't decide for each individual filename.

-- Simon

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 11:57:51 PM »
yea, thats great now, thanks :)

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 08:03:18 PM »
I don't know where to give feedback to Rubix' levels, so I'm sorry if it's the wrong place.

I liked your Aftermath/Parallel levels that have the same setting but different puzzles. I only solved half of them by now but I think I backrouted one since I had four skills left. I played this already with v. 0.6.36 and have attached the replay.

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 06:49:41 PM »
I've done a lot of map re-ordering now  :thumbsup:   
Feeling really good about the overall difficulty curve throughout the pack now.

So here is the compressed archive, Simon.

You can just delete the current one in the official release and replace it with this.
I have included another folder which will be for any other random maps I make in the future.  'The Extras'   
I included the collaboration project we did, and resolved the maps.  Replays are in the other file for download.   Some of these puzzles, especially clams in my opinion are fantastic puzzles, I did not want them to be lost in time!

Thanks!

Rubix

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 01:53:12 AM »
Thanks for your efforts to preserve history, and for the replay coverage! Earmarked for inclusion in 0.9.2. I propose only a few changes, and I've already implemented these changes here:
  • I've renamed "The Extras" to "Extras" and use _order.X.txt to sort it at end of directory listing.
  • Safety in Numbers, save 720/721 -> save 71/72 lix. Without variable spawn interval, 720/721 lasts ages after the route is built.
  • I'll rename the 4 level files in Extras for uniformity (all lowercase, no spaces) according to their English titles.
All 161 levels are solvable.

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 07:38:04 PM »
Played through the Pleasant and Sinister rank (as of v. 0.9.2). Attached replays to the Sinister rank; some are of older versions but should work with 0.9.x.

The levels were generally fun and I really enjoyed them. They had a really nice mix of interesting mechanics with classical gameplay. Only the crowds sometimes didn't seem to work out (though there were interesting uses as well): Sometimes at the end of a level I only had to assign the same skill over and over again.

Remarks concerning Pleasant (click to show/hide)

Remarks concerning Sinister (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 07:44:13 PM by Forestidia86 »