Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] MegSeByte - Collab Pack by Flopsy and Wafflem  (Read 7702 times)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
[NeoLemmix] MegSeByte - Collab Pack by Flopsy and Wafflem
« on: September 09, 2016, 01:22:59 AM »
EDIT by Wafflem: We have decided to name our pack to MegSeByte. We have also chosen our rank names: Inviting, Cool, Sketchy, Inconsiderate and Obnoxious. /EDIT

This demo is compatible with both v1.43n-F and the newer v1.47 of Neo Lemmix

:compat-dual:

Download the collab demo here :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjg24zp046db8vq/Wafflem%20and%20Flopsy%20collab%20pack%20demo.nxp?dl=0

(Updated due to a missing author tag in one of the levels - Scrambled Lemmings is supposed to be by Flopsy/Wafflem)
(updated again to fix Sadistic Lemming Factory's trap triggers)
(updated again to fix Lights Camera Action backroute)
(updated again to fix Lights Camera Action again and submit a slightly tweaked Target Training course submitted by Wafflem to me)
(updated again to fix Lights Camera Action yet again and add steel to the ceilings of Sadistic Lemming Factory)
(updated again to fix Lights Camera Action yet again....)

Me and Wafflem have been working on a collaboration pack for sometime now, kind of following on from the forum collaboration that Wafflem hosted a couple of months back. Since I was first to work on the forum collab level after Wafflem designed the initial terrain, we were pleased with how our the level looked after only me and Wafflem had worked on it before handing it onto the other 4 people who worked on the level.
We went away and decided we should make a pack full of collaboration levels. We decided on a pack of 30 levels (possibly slightly more) with 5 ranks so it means 6 levels per rank.

The pack is half done now pretty much and we've decided the time is right to release a demo.

There is going to be 30 different graphic sets in the final pack, not a single graphic set will be used more than once.

The rule for making levels in this pack has been simple really:
The person responsible for making the terrain can only insert terrain pieces and nothing else.
They then hand it over to the other person who will insert objects, make the solution, name the level, make the level stats, make the skillset and insert steel (since they are responsible for the solution).
It is acceptable for the object person to move some pieces terrain by a small amount of pixels if it aids the solution but nothing more than this is allowed.
Both authors are responsible for backroute testing.

In the demo, check the author tags, this tells you whether me or Wafflem made the terrain. The author who is named first will have made the terrain for the level where as the second author named is the person responsible for the objects, solution, skillset, level stats and level name.

Wafflem and I are very interested in what you think of the levels in this demo, we have provided 1 level from each rank. We are interested in anything you have to say about the levels: what is good? what is bad? are the levels in the demo ranked correctly?
Obviously also we are interested in what solutions you come up with for the levels so please post you replays in this topic and we will look at them :thumbsup:

These are screen shots of other levels which are not in the demo.

Stay BUBBLY (Wafflem/Flopsy)

Hopeless Fantasies (Wafflem/Flopsy)

Aztec Dune Zone (Wafflem/Flopsy)

BB Gun! (Wafflem/Flopsy)

I'm Not Leaving Here Without You (Wafflem/Flopsy)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 06:25:28 PM by Wafflem »

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: Wafflem/Flopsy collab pack - 5 Level Demo
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 12:40:50 PM »
Updated due to a missing author tag in one of the levels - Scrambled Lemmings is supposed to be by Flopsy/Wafflem

It's not necessarily a reason to update but just pointing out why the file has been updated.

Thanks to Wafflem for pointing this out ;P

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 02:42:02 PM »
Will take a look at it over the next days. :)

Looks awesome so far! :thumbsup:

Offline joshescue18

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 04:48:09 PM »
I solved all of the levels.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 12:13:12 AM »
At joshescue
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks for submitting your replays :thumbsup:

Offline joshescue18

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 03:09:24 PM »
Here's another replay of Rank 3.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 04:40:44 PM »
Very impressive! I love the new terrains! :thumbsup:

What game is the first and third level from?

The first level is quite a bit tougher than it looks at first

I played the first two levels so far; they were great fun.
My only gripe would be to darken the background at least a little bit; to make it easier to see what's background and what's not. Darken it or lower the contrast maybe. It was a little confusing at first. I do like having backgrounds like this though, it really adds a nice touch to the game.

The button on the left side of the rope ladder seems unnecessarily difficult to trigger. but the rest of the level was excellent.

while playing I thought all the old tilesets could use backgrounds; but I'm not sure how to go about making one. For the bubble set for example; I imagine a bubbly cave like scene but very dark. It might be acheived by just using the editor to make a wall of bubble material; taking a screen shot and editing it in photoshop. In fact this might be a cool thing to try for every set. I might try something like this in the next few days. :)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 11:15:59 PM »
Just a reply to say that I've updated the demo again and overhauled an obvious backroute in Lights Camera Action.

Those who haven't updated the demo since its release should probably update now, only Rank 3's Sadistic Lemming Factory and Rank 4's Lights Camera Action are affected by any of the changes. :thumbsup:

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 11:21:46 PM »
What game is the first and third level from?

These are both from Gigalem's batch of Freedom Planet tilesets ;P

My only gripe would be to darken the background at least a little bit

That is down to the graphic set creator sadly, nothing to do with me and Wafflem.

The button on the left side of the rope ladder seems unnecessarily difficult to trigger. but the rest of the level was excellent.

I know which one you mean and this is Wafflem's solution so it is his call if he wants to change that particular target at all.

Offline joshescue18

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 01:05:13 AM »
Here's another replay of Rank 4.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 02:45:27 PM »
Alright my solutions are attached to the post. :)

EDIT: Forgot the attachment :-[
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 03:34:18 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline joshescue18

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 04:59:08 PM »
Here's another one.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 12:48:40 AM »
Thanks for your feedback IchoTolot

Just updated Sadistic Lemming Factory (put steel in the ceiling IchoTolot :P) and Lights Camera Action (more backroute fixing)

Offline joshescue18

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 01:52:59 AM »
Here's another one.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2016, 01:35:16 PM »
This should be intended by now :)

My previous solution to rank 3 was more fun though ;P

Also in rank 3 steel under the fire pit on the left side is still appreciated to mark that there is no goiung under. :devil:

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2016, 02:04:02 PM »
Well done IchoTolot, both those solutions are indeed intended :thumbsup:

I will action that thing you said about fire pit as well on Rank 3, forgot to do it when I updated the level :XD:

Offline joshescue18

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 03:20:26 PM »
Here's another one.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2016, 04:32:04 PM »
Our pack now is now 22 levels complete, so we are almost done!

The hard part after this will be deciding on the title of our pack and the rank names. Anyone is more than welcome to give suggestions.

Special thanks to namida as well; it was also the Tag Team Contest that inspired this idea!
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!