Author Topic: making a style ^^  (Read 9174 times)

psyke_spawn

making a style ^^
« on: July 03, 2005, 09:12:43 PM »
hey guys im new to this lemmings forum  jst registered im a big big fan of the game i was wondering if any off you could  maybe give me  help on creating a style for cheapo lemmings i wanted to go for the "cube" films style mainly causs of the traps an what it would look like in generly i wanna make it decent for playability causs it may look great but it might not play as great meaning a challenge so any advice on making style grapsics or object ? just please help me ! ^^

Conway

Re: making a style ^^
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 09:39:18 PM »
Not sure how much I can help you here. I don't really have much experience in making cheapo styles. All I suggest is to thoroughly read the manual, draw some graphics, maybe find some on the web. I don't know. The real problem with the concept of film-based styles is that cheapo is 2-D, so I don't know how it would work. Designing some traps designed upon those in the Cube series shouldn't be too hard, though.

It would be awesome if you could get it to work!

ps: Welcome to the site, Psyke Spawn!

psyke_spawn

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 09:53:03 PM »
:d first welcomer ! aww crap ive messed up my cheapo editor ! it says tehre is a missing file "Def-stand" apaerntly

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 09:57:18 PM »
Re-download the level editor? You really don't need the eidtor to make styles -- styles are in a text-esque document (I don't remember the extention) and there is a Word file somewhere that explains what to do with this.

And welcome to the forum!
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

psyke_spawn

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 09:59:45 PM »
ok il try that thanks !!! :D

psyke_spawn

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 11:06:43 PM »
another thing how do i upload my levels onto the net ?

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2005, 11:59:05 PM »
Quote from: Insane Steve  link=1120425163/0#3 date=1120427838
Re-download the level editor? You really don't need the eidtor to make styles -- styles are in a text-esque document (I don't remember the extention) and there is a Word file somewhere that explains what to do with this.

Gee isteve, when's the last time you made a style?  ;P

Surely you would remember that once you finish the "text-esque" document (more correctly called the style template, .stt), you still need to go to the level editor and use the "Generate Style" menu item to generate the actual style file (.sty).  That last step collects all the graphics, music, etc. files the .stt refers to into a single file, namely the .sty.

So unfortunately, you do need the Cheapo editor to generate styles, unless Insane Steve knows or has something I don't.  ;P

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005, 12:24:30 AM »
Help with creating a style.

From the sound of it, you are mainly interested in making a style with new graphics and objects; you might be happy to just stick with the default music, lemmings, standards etc. but on the other hand you might also consider changing these if you want to get more advanced. For now though, let's just concentrate on the basics.

You need two things: a graphics stylesheet (similar to the ones you choose graphics from when placing them in the level editor) and an objects stylesheet. The only requirements for the graphics stylesheet are that each graphic should have its own rectangle -- all pixels in the rectangle but not part of the graphic should be black, and if you want part of the graphic itself to be black, just use very dark grey -- and the rest of the image should be a uniform background colour, which MUST be different from all the colours used in the graphics themselves. The objects stylesheet is similar, but the "frames" for each object animation (if it has more than one frame) should be placed in order one after the other. Remember to include at least one window and exit object!

Your style will need to have lemmings, standards etc., BUT you can just refer to other styles, in particular "Default.sty". You don't actually need to have the "Def-Stands" image itself (although it's very useful to have if you want to modify it to make your own standards).

psyke_spawn

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2005, 12:38:30 AM »
well ive messed that up then ^^; sorry guys lol it just says it cant be located i have the files myself an there all in place but it still says it cant be located so ive proberly messed it up an cant make my own style now  :'(

psyke_spawn

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2005, 12:40:53 AM »
woops i dont need it anyways ! :D

psyke_spawn

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2005, 12:44:15 AM »
is there a particular size tahst needed for the graphics sheet ?

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2005, 03:18:31 AM »
Well, I meant making the style, not generating it. Sheesh.

I haven't made any styles since ISWorld like a year and a half ago.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2005, 03:49:08 AM »
Quote from: psyke_spawn  link=1120425163/0#0 date=1120425163
i wanted to go for the "cube" films style mainly causs of the traps an what it would look like in generly i wanna make it decent for playability causs it may look great but it might not play as great meaning a challenge

Well, i don't think you should worry too much about "playability" when making the style, styles are more about visuals than anything else, and levels are another thing.  That's s to say, you can create still crappy levels even with the best style in the world.

It does seem though that terrain pieces with straight edges are generally easier to make levels with, might want to keep that in mind.

psyke_spawn

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2005, 04:03:01 AM »
thanks an do you have any idea on how o get the objects an gra[hics from bitmap to selectible items on the cheapo editor ?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2005, 09:19:19 AM »
Quote from: psyke_spawn  link=1120425163/0#10 date=1120437855
is there a particular size tahst needed for the graphics sheet ?

No; any size is OK. It can be a bit of a headache to find particular graphics from the sheet if it extends beyond one screen, though.

thanks an do you have any idea on how o get the objects an gra[hics from bitmap to selectible items on the cheapo editor ?

Yes. Make an .stt file (or adapt an existing one) and then use the "Generate Style" command in the level editor. There's a lot that has to be included in the .stt so I won't describe it all here; there's a Word document, "Custom Style File", that normally comes with Cheapo that tells you everything you need to know. If you don't have the file, give me an e-mail address and I can send it to you.

psyke_spawn

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2005, 01:03:33 PM »
hey but when i do that i get "cannot locate Def-stands."

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2005, 04:45:13 PM »
If "Def-Stands" is not in the same file as the "*.stt" file, it will not work. Move (or copy) the "Def-Stands" file into the same file as your "*.stt" file.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2005, 01:04:55 AM »
You don't need to have Def-Stands at all. Just modify the "Standards" section of your .stt to read:

Standards: ]Default.sty^
End

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2005, 11:05:21 PM »
Like I said in Technical Support forum: Have you correctly put all *.sty and *.stt files inside the folder "Styles"?
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...