Author Topic: Lemmings Forums Level Contest #11 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)  (Read 32907 times)

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
Re: Lemmings Forums Level Contest #11 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2016, 06:39:45 PM »
The thing about Halifire peaks is that there are two main solutions. One (the one Nepster did) is easier to figure out but harder to execute. The other is harder to figure out but cooler and easier in execution. Try to find both! :D
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline bulletride

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2016, 09:57:49 PM »
Wishing Well V9 + Future Temple attached.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 10:06:26 PM by BulletRide »

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2016, 01:13:59 AM »
Apologies.  There was a bug with my last update.  For those who have already downloaded V10 of The Wishing Well, please do so again.

Offline bulletride

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2016, 01:18:49 AM »
Definitely not intended :'( sorry!

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2016, 01:26:50 AM »
That's just embarrassing.

Offline bulletride

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2016, 02:36:50 AM »
2 more replays

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2016, 11:41:16 AM »
That's weird... I have versions of V2 that have that steel block there and some that don't.  It shouldn't be there.  Will fix soon.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2016, 01:06:58 PM »
I have versions of V2
For those who have already downloaded V10 of The Wishing Well, please do so again.

Don't re-publish with the same version number. Always increase the number -- even for a miniscule fix. Even if this fix comes 5 minutes after the previous upload.

It's no slur upon a level to reach version 20. 8-) If the level begun with many backroutes, the high version number shows good care.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 01:28:28 PM by Simon »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2016, 04:04:25 PM »
I played through the new versions again. See attached replays.

Bulletride (click to show/hide)

Colorful Arty (click to show/hide)

Crane (click to show/hide)

geoo (click to show/hide)

IchoTolot (click to show/hide)

Simon (click to show/hide)

zanzindorf (click to show/hide)

The left third of the level is purely for the visuals. In fact the whole level is created because I had the specific visual idea in mind. The solution was secondary in this case. I created the landscape and carved out a solution afterwards.
Maybe if you watch my Dune 2000 let's play in the future you can understand the things I tried to represent there a bit better.;)
The precision with the 2 climbers was intended here and I thought it was alright because of the relatively long teleporter animation + with a savestate at the climber assignment another try is made in seconds. I will see when putting Reunion 2 together if I make some adjustments here and ease this (+ maybe making the gliding in The Machine a bit more obvious). Currently the precision can be avoided as well ;). Josh found a way to completely bypass the timing.

As we speak about visuals: Gronkling: What is your polar level trying to represent? It looks somewhat like a logo, but I don't know from what. ??? Is it indeed a logo, maybe from a sports team I don't know?

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2016, 04:56:16 PM »
I have versions of V2
For those who have already downloaded V10 of The Wishing Well, please do so again.

Don't re-publish with the same version number. Always increase the number -- even for a miniscule fix. Even if this fix comes 5 minutes after the previous upload.

It's no slur upon a level to reach version 20. 8-) If the level begun with many backroutes, the high version number shows good care.

-- Simon
I'm scared it represents inexperience and carelessness because you can't get it right the first time - I mean, Nepster tore into me because of my backroutes virtually turning it into a 1-lemming level.  It's either perfection or nothing with me - no in between.

As for Heaven and Earth's Version 2, I'm actually confused by the presence of the small steel block because I'm sure it wasn't there the first time, or I put it in without thinking.  Either way, I'll release version 3 soon where it won't be present at all.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2016, 05:13:54 PM »
I'm scared it represents inexperience and carelessness because you can't get it right the first time - I mean, Nepster tore into me because of my backroutes virtually turning it into a 1-lemming level.  It's either perfection or nothing with me - no in between.
Don't take my comments too seriously, when my solution turns out to be a backroute. I can only comment on the level resp. solution I know of and am more than willing to revise my opinion when playing another new version of the level.

And having backroutes being sign of "inexperience and carelessness" is absolute nonsense, because almost all levels from any level creator has backroutes at first, regardless of how many hours the level designer has spent on the level. Even needing more than 10 versions isn't a sign of this: ccexplore's "Brickout", namida's "Forgotten Beauty", my "Deadly Rooms of Lems" and several other levels have gone through at least as many backroute-fixes. Some level ideas are simply prone to backroutes and there is nothing one can do against this, except letting people play the level and fix it, fix it and fix it again.

Offline bulletride

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2016, 01:34:43 AM »
Wishing Well v12 is much better! Think I probably have the intended route now.

Without the steel piece Heaven and Earth is much harder and has me a little stumped still.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2016, 10:37:19 AM »
Almost got The Wishing Well - easy enough to patch!

For Heaven and Earth, well, think like IchTolot!

Offline bulletride

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2016, 03:37:28 PM »
Still able to beat same way. 1 or 2 pixels more should do it.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 04:03:08 PM by BulletRide »

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2016, 12:19:54 AM »
Update may have to wait... my laptop's boot sector got corrupted, Windows won't start, and I don't have a usable recovery medium.