Author Topic: Level Idea  (Read 64908 times)

tumble_weed

Re: Level Idea
« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2005, 08:06:12 AM »
hehe at least we'll learn from this one :P

and yeah I've had music CDs in my computer and it's REALLY annoying...because the songs stop and start when you play new levels...

but usually I just play anything that I have on itunes at the time...:)

anyway I'm sure it's possible to hack Custlemm to play music...I'll assume the problem is that it tries to read songs off the CD drive.

« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2005, 09:16:09 AM »
Quote from: tumble_weed  link=1119907802/90#92 date=1121154329
I really dislike cheapo...it's just not Lemmingy enough

Interesting.  What is it about CustLemm that are so sorely missing in Cheapo?

tumble_weed

« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2005, 04:06:26 PM »
1. Custlemm makes levels for the REAL lemmings game
2. No stupid title screen with a lemming woman thing
3. No annoying post level screen
4. The Cheapo physics are slightly off
5. Don't like the custon graphics...they usually look awful
6. Music is annoying
7. Doesn't feel like you're playing authentic lemmings levels
8. In my opinion its far harder to use the editor
etc...

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2005, 06:30:15 PM »
I told you guest, it doesn't have the "classic" feel :P

Cheapo has a ton to offer though. Direction selection alone is a huge improvement. Replay (when it's not buggy) is very nice. The graphics are only as good as you make them (or as good as they are made). They're not inherently worse... that makes no sense. Same goes for the music.

Sure, Cheapo has some bugs and behaviors that aren't consistent with Lemmings, but I'd argue there are more bizarre bugs in Lemmings than in Cheapo... I agree in some ways that LemEdit is easier to use than Cheapo, but the Cheapo editor is more flexible without a doubt.

and yeah I've had music CDs in my computer and it's REALLY annoying...because the songs stop and start when you play new levels...

Hmm? Isn't this how Lemmings acts normally? Or did you mean that reading the CD then not reading it, etc. constantly gets annoying?

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2005, 07:08:21 PM »
Quote from: Shvegait  link=1119907802/105#108 date=1121279415
Hmm? Isn't this how Lemmings acts normally? Or did you mean that reading the CD then not reading it, etc. constantly gets annoying?

Well that sounds like what usually happens to me with my computer.  When I play AOE the music goes for about 1 second when I start a game, and then it stops, and then it "cracks" and it goes on and off and it gets really annoying.  The music comes from the CD.

Of course it could be a completely different situation but I don't know.   :D

« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2005, 07:51:29 PM »
Quote from: tumble_weed  link=1119907802/105#107 date=1121270786
1. Custlemm makes levels for the REAL lemmings game
2. No stupid title screen with a lemming woman thing
3. No annoying post level screen
4. The Cheapo physics are slightly off
5. Don't like the custon graphics...they usually look awful
6. Music is annoying
7. Doesn't feel like you're playing authentic lemmings levels
8. In my opinion its far harder to use the editor
etc...

Well, Peter's not ever going to have a good answer for #1 and #7, since they're basically saying "because it's not the original Lemmings".  The rest are fortunately addressable--though at Dimwit's current pace of progress, maybe not in our lifetime.  O_o ;P

« Reply #111 on: July 13, 2005, 07:57:39 PM »
Quote from: tumble_weed  link=1119907802/105#105 date=1121241972
anyway I'm sure it's possible to hack Custlemm to play music...

Well, at this point it'd be a blind search if I were to try, so unless Mike reveal some concrete searachable bits, don't get your hopes up.

Besides, I still think it'd be better to just play, with a separate program, whatever music you fancy in the background while playing the game.

-------------------------

Oh wow, I didn't even realize this is the "group level" thread!  We sure have gone a bit off topic.  ;P

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2005, 08:18:26 PM »
Well yeah, but I suppose that's okay seeing as we're waiting on what I'm sure will be a great addition to the level from Insane Steve.

Hey, who ever said we had to do one at a time?  Why not do two levels at a time?  If anyone wants to form or join another group, cheapo or lemedit, say so.  There's no reason not to do another.

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 13, 2005, 08:42:06 PM »
I'll join the second group, I don't really care if it's lemedit or cheapo (although Cheapo is still preferred :)).

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2005, 08:12:26 AM »
I'll join a Cheapo group if one starts.

Tumble_weed: I am addressing two of your problems. I've made a set of styles with the authentic graphics, and with (what I hope are) more appealing level-introduction and level-completion screen. However, we're waiting on guest to complete the music..... :P

« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2005, 08:36:26 AM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1119907802/105#114 date=1121328746
I've made a set of styles with the authentic graphics,

Incidentally, it was never quite clear to me how exactly you did that.  I'm under the impression that CustLemm/LemEdit doesn't work on your XP machine, and since the Mac doesn't connect to the Internet, you wouldn't be able to get anything from there either.  So what's the source of your authentic graphics?  :???:

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 14, 2005, 08:48:41 AM »
The Lemmings Solution, Shvegait's level pictures, Planet Lemmings (for the Genesis levels) and some good old-fashioned hard work. :P

« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2005, 09:55:41 AM »
Hmm, well ok I hope it is reasonably complete.  LemEdit users would be annoyed if you're missing any terrain pieces.  ;)

What about the interactive objects?  None of the sources you mentioned have animated graphics as far as I can tell?

But one interesting incentive for LemEdit users:  does your style contains graphics from the "special graphics" levels?  Sounds like it does, right?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2005, 12:15:45 PM »
Not yet, but hey, it would be easy enough to do those too. :P If I can find the time -- they'd be much harder work, and I shudder at the thought of four new sets of standards and intro screen images (yes, I'm picky, I like making those different with each style).

Many of the interactive objects I took by snapshotting individual frames from the game itself on the Genesis emulator. (I know.... it was a heck of a lot of work. But I wanted to do it.) For some I used the Cheapo ones. (I actually prefer the Cheapo crystal, column and pink style exits to the originals. And getting all the frames for the trap objects would have been far too much work even for me -- though I did get the dirt style traps from the Lem-Dirt style by making levels with a dozen of each so I could snapshot several frames at once.)

I'm fairly sure there are almost no terrain pieces missing. I couldn't work out from the levels I studied exactly what the individual unit is for the curly ground terrain in the pink style, but I hope that the pieces I included are adequate. I couldn't find any levels using the Q and Z from the fire style lettering, so for consistency I kept the Cheapo graphics for the entire alphabet, but included alongside them the X, exclamation mark, and arrow from the original.

Anyway, if there are any terrain pieces missing, I think the extra ones I've included will more than make up for it. :D

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2005, 12:46:09 PM »
i have all the terrain peices in bmp and png format if anyone wants them